Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have put a lot of money into my 335i in the last 3 months, over $6000 and 2/3's of that was DIY.

NOW, I am getting a 29CE (cylinder 2 misfire), a 2E1A (firing, cylinder 3), and a 29D9 (misfire at low tank fill level)

I just replaced Plugs, coils and a host of other parts. Car was running very steady until I took it on a 325 mile trip yesterday. Then the 29CE popped up.

My car had the HPFP recall performed on it, not sure when, I checked with the dealer when I gave them my VIN.

Car has 105,000 miles.

Any suggestions? How to test if its actually injectors or the Pump? Or am I missing something else??

Ordered Bank 1 and 2 O2 sensors, hoping....as I WAS getting a mixture issue until today.

Thanks,
Chef

·
Breaking in the Pony
2019 Mustang GT / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
6,276 Posts
The typical sign of impending HPFP failure was a long crank at cold starting. The 29D9 misfire at low tank level would have me thinking about the LPFP.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The typical sign of impending HPFP failure was a long crank at cold starting. The 29D9 misfire at low tank level would have me thinking about the LPFP.
Car starts right up. No hesitation.

I have seen in other threads there is a way to test the pressure from the LPFP. I wonder if my ProTool app will accomplish this?

in regards to the LPFP, is it just the sensor or the fuel line part itself, or both?

Thanks again

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had to replace injectors AND HPFP on my 2010 335i 4-door recently. I believe the original owner had the HPFP done before I got it. Car is low mileage, 63,000 Km (40,000 miles) so I wasn't expecting problems so soon.

At first, codes only indicated injector problems on cyl #2. Dealer wanted $5200 CDN to replace all six. I said "forget it" and replaced three on bank 1 with new index 12 injectors. That didn't fix the problem. I had trouble removing injectors 5 & 6 so I took it to a local mechanic. They replaced the bank 2 injectors and the car ran fine at low speeds, but they said it would go into Limp Mode if I stood on it, due to the HPFP acting up. Once that was replaced with a rebuilt unit, no more problems.

One thing I noticed when replacing the injectors myself was that there was no high pressure released when I removed the fuel rails leading to the injectors. So, one way to maybe check if your HPFP is bad is to loosen the fuel rails. If fuel is released at high pressure (with battery disconnected), your pump is probably good. If fuel just drips out with a minimal bit of pressure, the pump is bad. Don't take this to the bank, but it was my experience.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I had to replace injectors AND HPFP on my 2010 335i 4-door recently. I believe the original owner had the HPFP done before I got it. Car is low mileage, 63,000 Km (40,000 miles) so I wasn't expecting problems so soon.

At first, codes only indicated injector problems on cyl #2. Dealer wanted $5200 CDN to replace all six. I said "forget it" and replaced three on bank 1 with new index 12 injectors. That didn't fix the problem. I had trouble removing injectors 5 & 6 so I took it to a local mechanic. They replaced the bank 2 injectors and the car ran fine at low speeds, but they said it would go into Limp Mode if I stood on it, due to the HPFP acting up. Once that was replaced with a rebuilt unit, no more problems.

One thing I noticed when replacing the injectors myself was that there was no high pressure released when I removed the fuel rails leading to the injectors. So, one way to maybe check if your HPFP is bad is to loosen the fuel rails. If fuel is released at high pressure (with battery disconnected), your pump is probably good. If fuel just drips out with a minimal bit of pressure, the pump is bad. Don't take this to the bank, but it was my experience.
Thanks for the tip with the pressure on the rail. I just did my valve cover gasket (3 weeks ago) and the fuel was under very high pressure. last week I added an upgraded PVC Valve and when I released #6 rail, fuel was under high pressure. Both times I had the neg battery disconnected.

I'm betting Low pressure pump/sensor AND/OR Injectors.

Man, I LOVE this car, but its becoming in-sellable now with the 9500 purchase price and now I have 6000 into it. Looks like its going to be another 4-5k before I am done making her right.

Love is expensive.

NOTE: Drove the car today and it seems fine BUT she doesnt seem to have much giddy-up at low RPM. Takes a bit more than I would think to get turbo spooled up and her to really unleash. Plus, when the car is fully warmed up, and I punch it at 40mph or so, she goes, but doesnt really 'launch' (throwing head back) until I hit the next gear.

Hoping all this extra info will give me more ideas.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What index level are your injectors? The ones that failed on my 2010 were 7, I replaced with 12.
Not sure, need to look when I pull the cover off the motor tomorrow. Hoping I dont have to pull an injector to find out OR my Protool app can tell me.

·
Breaking in the Pony
2019 Mustang GT / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
6,276 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The car is still cheaper than the buxom blonde thing who's half your age. :angel:
Timely post. I'm only 48 but about 10 years ago I had said blonde, and before the storm and ride was over, I was out about 60k lighter in the bank account. So you are correct sir!

Great perspective.

·
BMW Master Wannabe
438 Posts
Chef423. I am having The exact thing you are reporting. Misfire on cyl2 and misfire a low tank level. I too replaced coils and plugs with valve cover job spring 2018. Been running great until about 4 weeks ago. Noticed getting the cyl2 and other random cyl misfires. Car runs okay but definitely not smooth at low RPMs and HPFP pressure seems wildly variable in my Protool gauge view. Should HPFP pressure be constant above 1200 psi? Not sure what is normal operating parameters. Low pressure pump seems good and steady. It acts like starving for fuel at low idle. I am inclined to believe it is more HPFP than the injectors. Following for your final diagnosis.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest

1 - 11 of 11 Posts