BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,

long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm a relatively new owner and certainly not mechanically inclined. Took my 08 E92 for an oil change and they refused to return my car until all recall issues were replaced. After a week they have replaced 5 injectors and the fuel pump. What does that mean, and should I care?

I reviewed the sticky HPFP, but I didn't immediately see injectors mentioned.

thanks in advance for your unparalleled expertise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Injectors and fuel pumps usually go hand in hand when it comes to failure. If one goes, the other is usually right behind it.

·
Grand Poobah
108 Posts
I had the HPFP replaced in January, then 4 of the injectors on Friday. Getting them done at the same time is a good thing.

·
N54
3,427 Posts
Injectors and fuel pumps usually go hand in hand when it comes to failure. If one goes, the other is usually right behind it.
I don't think the correlation is anything close to the 100% that you are implying. Back to the OP, it certainly isn't uncommon so there is no reason to worry that they replace the injectors too. All free under warranty too, right?

·
Registered
2 Posts
injectors have nothing to do with the fuel pump...the first thing to break after the fuel pump failure would most likely be the camshaft i believe

·
Flying monkey herder
8,168 Posts
injectors have nothing to do with the fuel pump...the first thing to break after the fuel pump failure would most likely be the camshaft i believe
what?

i dont think we've had ANY reports of camshaft failure. what the heck does the fuel pump have to do with the camshaft?

·
Bad Lieutenant
6,358 Posts
what?

i dont think we've had ANY reports of camshaft failure. what the heck does the fuel pump have to do with the camshaft?
Probably the camshaft ledge bearing I've been hearing of? Anyhow, 5 injectors? Why didn't they just replace all 6? sheesh

·
Squeal like a BMW
6,604 Posts
Probably the camshaft ledge bearing I've been hearing of? Anyhow, 5 injectors? Why didn't they just replace all 6? sheesh
At 18K miles I had the camshaft ledge bearing issue repaired.

·
Combat Commuter
1,973 Posts
At 18K miles I had the camshaft ledge bearing issue repaired.
It was a limited number of '07s per VIN. However, it a person's '07 threw a VANOS solenoid fault code, then the camshaft ledge was to be checked first before replacing solenoids.

·
Combat Commuter
1,973 Posts
hello all,

long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm a relatively new owner and certainly not mechanically inclined. Took my 08 E92 for an oil change and they refused to return my car until all recall issues were replaced. After a week they have replaced 5 injectors and the fuel pump. What does that mean, and should I care?

I reviewed the sticky HPFP, but I didn't immediately see injectors mentioned.

thanks in advance for your unparalleled expertise.
There are 3 parts to the RECALL.

1)Check Software version: Download latest version appropriate to your model, if required
2)Check injectors for part number: Replace if required. 5 of your injectors were the "bad" part number.
3)Check HPFP part number. Replace if required. You had a "bad" part number. My guess is the -881. If you look at your Service Order, it shows the new part number installed. Could be a -933, or -446 (most likely), or maybe -170.

·
Bimmerdex 7.4!
11,163 Posts
I admit to being a little disappointed when I heard that BMW was going to pressed-on cam lobes in addition to single piece camshafts. I understand that engines can have one or the other, or both. Anyone heard of any failures of pressed on lobes?
For the record, I took my 335 in for the HPFP and injector recall. They left the old HPFP in place, reflashed the software, and replaced four of the 6 injectors.

·
Combat Commuter
1,973 Posts
I admit to being a little disappointed when I heard that BMW was going to pressed-on cam lobes in addition to single piece camshafts. I understand that engines can have one or the other, or both. Anyone heard of any failures of pressed on lobes?
For the record, I took my 335 in for the HPFP and injector recall. They left the old HPFP in place, reflashed the software, and replaced four of the 6 injectors.
Curious, what HPFP part number is currently in your car?

·
Combat Commuter
1,973 Posts
I'm going to guess it's the original p/n. My dom is 08/2007.
You aren't the only '07 that kept its original HPFP after the RECALL inspection. I went 60K miles on my original. Makes me wonder if I would still be on it, if I had this current software that primes the pump, at the time.

·
Bimmerdex 7.4!
11,163 Posts
You aren't the only '07 that kept its original HPFP after the RECALL inspection. I went 60K miles on my original. Makes me wonder if I would still be on it, if I had this current software that primes the pump, at the time.
Yeah, I really didn't think I'd be driving my old pump home again. My SA said (off the record) that if I really made a big stink about it and mentioned that maybe I had some symptoms that the pump would be changed. Not my style.
What actually happens with the new software? Wouldn't the pump always be primed? There should always be pressure between the transfer pump and the HPFP, right? And if not, the instant you turned the key to the 'run' position, before it even got to 'crank', the LPFP would power up?
I don't worry about the HPFP, not with the extended warranty. Worst case? I have to drive home real slow... Sure hope it doesn't happen 500 miles from home though.

Edit: What exactly is a camshaft ledge bearing? Is it a thrust bearing?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'd also be interested in whether anyone has some input on what the software update entails.

Two days ago I took my '07 335i in for windshield wipers and a new bulb for the daytime running lights and ended up a day later with 4 new injectors, a new fuel pump, and a software update.

Has anyone noticed an increase in performance, notably a smoother power delivery, after the software update, injectors being replaced? Perhaps I am just a bit thrilled to be back in the 335i after two days driving a '11 128i.

·
Boosted Bavarian
1,272 Posts
I had the software update. The only difference I noticed (other than losing a few personal settings to factory defaults) is the low pressure fuel pump in the right rear of the car activates as soon as the car wakes up. According to SI B13 09 10, "The new DME calibration improves the engine starting strategy and the robustness of the HDP high-pressure pump".

1 - 18 of 18 Posts