BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Raconteur
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After ED pickup on a Monday, I'm planning on hitting Fussen then Innsbruck. I'll be leaving Innsbruck and was set on driving into the Alps, staying in Bruck and Berchtesgaden, then back to Munich. However, because I postponed a visit to Vienna two years ago, I now think that driving to Vienna, despite the longer travel time, is best for my wife and me. Still wanting to get the "Alpine" experience, is traveling the A12, A8, and A1 to Vienna giving me some higher altitude driving, or is that more valley travel? Does anyone have experience taking the "scenic" routes to Vienna, such as on the "B" and "E" highways via Mittersill, Zell am See, Radstadt, etc.? I'll be leaving Innsbruck in the early afternoon and as long as I get to Vienna by 8-9 PM I should be OK. JSpira, you seem to have a great deal of experience in that area...any thoughts?
Vielen Dank in advance.
Tim

·
Freude am Fahren
19,698 Posts
My thread on Berchtesgaden-->Lienz-->Kitzbühel should be a bit helpful.

I would also recommend you consider visiting the Wachau region, in particular Dürnstein, when near Wien.

·
Raconteur
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jonathan.

That is exactly the area to which I am referring. Any relative merits of driving the Großglocknerstraße vs. the Felbertauern tunnel from Lienz? I am heading easterly, and obviously the Großglocknerstraße is a highlight of many travel guides. The Felbertauern, on the other hand, appears to provide relative quickness with that "alpine" feel.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,698 Posts
That is exactly the area to which I am referring. Any relative merits of driving the Großglocknerstraße vs. the Felbertauern tunnel from Lienz? I am heading easterly, and obviously the Großglocknerstraße is a highlight of many travel guides. The Felbertauern, on the other hand, appears to provide relative quickness with that "alpine" feel.
If you haven´t yet driven on the Großglockner-Hochalpenstraße, you should. As for me, since I´ve driven on it multiple times, if I need a quicker route, I take the Tunnel.

·
Laguna Seca Guy
466 Posts
Consider exploring the Zillertal area east of Innsbruck. From A12, take B169 south through Kaltenbach, then B165 over the Gerlospass and past the Krimmler Wasserfalle - beautiful drive and it brings you out at the northerly end of the Felbertauren and the Grossglockner.

·
Raconteur
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks gents...

Thanks Laguna and Jonathan. I think I'll take your advice and take B165 eastward, see the Vasserfälle, continue toward the east, divert south on the Großglockner-Hochalpenstraße, eat at the Edelweißspitze, return to the 311 and continue eastward to Wien. Viamichelin estimates 540 km, about half of which is on motorways, with an estimated travel time of 6:45. If one has a new 335 in the Alps, one should take advantage of the opportunity.
Mit besten Grüßen,
Tim

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
A lot of those routes sound familiar to me from our trip last year (June) as well.

We went from Innsbruck to Zell am Ziller. Then took the Gerlos Pass to Mittersill, then headed south thru the Felbertauern Tunnel. We took the night at Lienz, then headed out north towards Berchtesgaden via the Großglockner Pass. The drive to Lienz was a bit rushed in the afternoon since we stopped longer than expected in Innsbruck and it was dampened by rain. Indeed, the weather is hit-or-miss in the Alps in this season. However, it was still a beautiful and exciting drive.

Plan to spend some time on the Großglockner, as there is an exhibition at the time. The descent (northbound) after the highpoint has some stunning hairpin turns, so heel-and-toe is something to be practised in advance. The brakes on the 118i didn't fade much, but smelled terrible by the bottom! :yikes: (god bless that wonderful 2 litre petrol motor on the way up)

Note that this path does include a couple toll roads, and the Großglocker was ***8364;27 IIRC. Also, if you're squeamish about narrow, mountain roads..........be prepared. Road conditions change rapidly and you may find yourself in fog down to zero visibility on tight curves with no guardrail.

·
Raconteur
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks AzNM

New plan: head straight to Wien from Schwangau and travel through Kitzbuhël, Mittersill, divert onto the Großglockner, head back to Bruck and continue on 311 up to the autobahns to Wien. Gotta see Wien this time.
Thanks for everyone's fine advice.
Go Heels!
Tim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts