BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on bmw a computer should have atleast dual core and 2.2ghz cpu to run diagnostics software but now the average laptop is around 1ghz quad core.

would something like this be adequate given that a i5 1ghz quad core cpu today is many times faster that a 2.2ghz dual core back over a decade ago when these software requirements where made.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...-1035g1-512gb-ssd-8gb-ram-windows-10/14209040

·
Registered
412 Posts
Based on bmw a computer should have atleast dual core and 2.2ghz cpu to run diagnostics software but now the average laptop is around 1ghz quad core.

would something like this be adequate given that a i5 1ghz quad core cpu today is many times faster that a 2.2ghz dual core back over a decade ago when these software requirements where made.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...-1035g1-512gb-ssd-8gb-ram-windows-10/14209040
You are only looking at 1 part of a processor's specification. The base frequency on the lower end processors is 1Ghz but this is the frequency the transistor gates open. You'll find the max speed is 3Ghz or over, so any i5 processor laptop is going to be more than capable of running ISTA. Make sure it has at least 8GB ram so it can run Windows 10 efficiently.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But doesn***8217;t that cpu only reach 3ghz if in turbo Mode which to my limited knowledge is only supposed to be used for a short period of time. So how about when it comes to a 4 hour software flash??

·
Premium Member
41,949 Posts
FYI. For new ISTA 4, a Dual Core 2.2 Ghz is Minimum Processor:

My i7 Specs:

ISTA Error:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Seee! Isnt that kind of srupid
Not at all, The i5 will be just fine. The reference to 2.2Ghz is just a baseline and an old one at that refering to older generation processors. In the laptop you've looked at the maximum is over 3Ghz so the processor will run at anywhere between 1 and 3 depending on the requirement and if it needs to use "Turbo" mode it will, to no detriment of the hardware. I'm using the latest ISTA 4.23 and have it installed on 3 laptops, one a 7 year old DELL XPS and one an 8 year old HP. They all work just fine.

·
Registered
412 Posts
But doesn't that cpu only reach 3ghz if in turbo Mode which to my limited knowledge is only supposed to be used for a short period of time. So how about when it comes to a 4 hour software flash??
No, that is not how processors work. In modern Intel processors there is the base frequency the processor needs to function and then there is the maximum frequency. The "turbo" mode can be used all day long on a processor and the laptop will manage the thermal condition through a variable fan. You will never know at what frequency the laptop is running, it will just work.

·
Registered
412 Posts
So whats that error message the guy posted above
What we don't know is what laptop that was trying to run on.

My Dell XPS has the i7-2637 processor (came out in 2011) with just 4GB RAM and it works fine for ISTA and general office work. I probably wouldn't want to run Photoshop on it and expect quick response times.

·
Premium Member
41,949 Posts

·
Premium Member
41,949 Posts
What we don't know is what laptop that was trying to run on.

My Dell XPS has the i7-2637 processor (came out in 2011) with just 4GB RAM and it works fine for ISTA and general office work. I probably wouldn't want to run Photoshop on it and expect quick response times.
It's a 1-Year old top of the line (for 13") HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-ae0xx.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not at all, The i5 will be just fine. The reference to 2.2Ghz is just a baseline and an old one at that refering to older generation processors. In the laptop you've looked at the maximum is over 3Ghz so the processor will run at anywhere between 1 and 3 depending on the requirement and if it needs to use "Turbo" mode it will, to no detriment of the hardware. I'm using the latest ISTA 4.23 and have it installed on 3 laptops, one a 7 year old DELL XPS and one an 8 year old HP. They all work just fine.
hey sorry to just jump in here but i have e46m3 and need ista-D can you help with download

1 - 15 of 15 Posts