BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I got myself in trouble I got the INPA to work finally but was playing around with it and started update my car don't know what I did now my screen won't come on and my inside lights and my headlights come on but won't move I was trying to update everything on the car cuz when I check the car last update were all done like in 2009 and is a 2007 e61 help help help

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
INPA is used for diagnostics. It does not program/code.

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Unfortunately if sounds like you bricked some modules.

I assume you used a DCAN interface which should not be used in 85% of the cases when updating modules.

It's also imperative that you use a proper power supply to maintain/stabilize vehicle voltage.

You're only hope is trying to force flash with NFS but I recommend you invest in a proper power supply cable of a steady 50+ amps. A pulsed, non-continuous, intermittent, etc power supply is not suitable for flashing/programming. You need a supply that will put out 14+ volts. Look for the ones that have a programming mode.

I'd also recommend an ICOM head to flash the module, especially MOST bus components like the head unit.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Unfortunately if sounds like you bricked some modules.

I assume you used a DCAN interface which should not be used in 85% of the cases when updating modules.

It's also imperative that you use a proper power supply to maintain/stabilize vehicle voltage.

You're only hope is trying to force flash with NFS but I recommend you invest in a proper power supply cable of a steady 50+ amps. A pulsed, non-continuous, intermittent, etc power supply is not suitable for flashing/programming. You need a supply that will put out 14+ volts. Look for the ones that have a programming mode.

I'd also recommend an ICOM head to flash the module, especially MOST bus components like the head unit.
This is the reason why I'm so hesitant on trying to code and/or update my car myself. I have a question..(might be a dumb one)...if you were to brick a module, is there any coming back from that? Or would it be time to get a new module?

·
Registered
137 Posts
You should check some websites before jumping into something like that ask here if you need to know what to get before your start some websites are also dedicated to coding they can help you start have you noticed how much of a pain it is to try to read stuff with no punctuation :bigpimp:

·
Registered
609 Posts
This site has a very active coding and programming subforum. I'd suggest posting there and seeing if someone can help you out. You can also go to bmwcoding.com, go to NY/NJ/CT/PA regional subforum, and request help. Someone may offer to attempt to undo whatever it is you did for a nominal fee. It's better to pay someone knowledgeable to fix it than to try and do it yourself and risk screwing things up even more.

·
Registered
622 Posts
do a search here and 5series.net, also bmwcoding.com sites. I remember someone did something very similar and there was a way to revert back to factory. I just don't remember which site I read it on, so do a search.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok guys I got everything back to working just haven't got the chance to leave my car on for about 1 hour to let the radio rest that's what they told me is going to take for it to come back on I'll do it on the weekend and let you guys know how and if it worked

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
This is the reason why I'm so hesitant on trying to code and/or update my car myself. I have a question..(might be a dumb one)...if you were to brick a module, is there any coming back from that? Or would it be time to get a new module?
As mentioned you can try force flashing with NFS. If that does not work, you will need a new module.

The headunits take hours to flash over DCAN. It 90% of the time, bricked over DCAN.

You need an ICOM head to flash the radio modules.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts