BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently found a shop in north Houston that has pretty good reviews. I took my e60 to them to have my driveshaft rebuilt and were good too me. What is drawing me to them is the price for this job, $2189 with parts and labor. Aparently they use a technique which does not require removing the heads, which helps on the cost. Now before decide to take it in, is there anything else I should have done while they're in there? And possible seals that might give me trouble in the future? The did recommend checking the upper timing cover gaskets.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would love to know how he is pulling seals out with out dropping valve in engine after he pulls keepers out and how he us compresing valve spring, than puts it all back together, I call bull ****. Heads have to come off you need carbon build up cleaned out also on bmw v8. Timing cover gasket will have to be done unless he is Yoda using force to make camshafts disappear before your eyes with out taking timing apart so he can pull lifters out. Whole thing they seem to tell you unless you misunderstood is crok ****. If that place real going to do that supposed way, your will blow up in days. So eather you misunderstood or he is bull****ing you whole way.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
I would love to know how he is pulling seals out with out dropping valve in engine after he pulls keepers out and how he us compresing valve spring, than puts it all back together, I call bull ****. Heads have to come off you need carbon build up cleaned out also on bmw v8. Timing cover gasket will have to be done unless he is Yoda using force to make camshafts disappear before your eyes with out taking timing apart so he can pull lifters out. Whole thing they seem to tell you unless you misunderstood is crok ****. If that place real going to do that supposed way, your will blow up in days. So eather you misunderstood or he is bull****ing you whole way.
Here is how its done , no need to remove the heads ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=97&v=YacOx2ydMbI

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Great opportunity to demo the AGA tool, which cut the cost of the job in half from the old way.

(Even with the tool, gotta love being a mechanic to do that 32 times..... :thumbup:)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was trying to find the tool he was talking about, there it is.

Here is part of the email I received

"Here is the quote for the valve seals on both banks using a tool that does not require removing the heads which helps with half the cost. Keep in mind if your upper timing cover gaskets are leaking it will be wise to replace it will doing the valve seals and we can inspect that before doing the job."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
You need to calm down.Putting air in cylinder holding the valve up?Been done for years,if you didn't know this slow down and learn a little before going off.

·
Registered
602 Posts
545 or 550?

If it's a 545 you better have the reads removed to drill out the secondary air passages in the exhaust ports. If it's a 550, it can be done without removing the heads. Leave the engine in the car or drop it out to make it much easier to work on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.