BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Trend Setter!
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

This is a slightly off topic post but I think it might be related to my BMW.

Today I checked my mailbox and was shocked to see a vehicle registration notice that looked like this:

REGISTRATION FEE: $56
LICENSE FEE (maybe an income tax deduction): $434
WEIGHT FEE : $0
SPECIAL PLATE FEE: $0
COUNTRY/DISTRICT FEE: $6
OWNER RESPONSIBILITY FEE: $0
SMOG ABATEMENT FEE: $20
----
TOTAL DUE $516 - hahahahhaha insane!!

So I was just wondering if the insane LICENSE FEE is due to owning a BMW? :dunno: Has anyone experienced this and found a way to reduce the fees?

Also can I file the license fee when I do my taxes? How much do you get back?

Thanks..

-Dez :smokin:

·
Enjoying Your Money
572 Posts
yip, we are screwed. We have enjoyed reduced license fees for years but since our beloved state needs more money we no longer will get the discount, it'll be up for a revision in 2012.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
It's because of the auto registration fee increases that went into effect back in April. I paid about $500+ too.

·
Heading south in 2016
269 Posts
That is nuts!! Here in Pa the annual registration fee is something like $36.00.

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
This way they can redistribute the wealth. Ask the governator.

·
about the mini part....
1,085 Posts
I just had some fun with that calculator, mine came out to almost $700!:yikes: I'm glad I live in Texas. :)

·
Here comes trouble!
8,356 Posts
It's CA man, not the BMW.

I pay between $60-70 a year depending on if new plates are issued, etc...

·
Not a real doctor.
5,702 Posts
I fully expect to get hit hard here in Mass for what they call the excise tax on the car. 'Should be around $900.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
In VA registration is $41/year but you get hit HARD on the property tax. Apparently it's paid 2x a year (not just once) if I remember correctly. Between the two Bimmers, that adds up to over $1100 each time. Gotta love communism, and yet our Dept. of Transportation is bankrupt too, so that means they need to write up more speeding tickets and other violations. You can't win as a driver in the Communisticalwealth.

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
I pay $74 total for the 328i and my wife's VW Rabbit.... but I do live in a more Republican location. We don't take kindly to wealth redistribution schemes down here.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,826 Posts
It's because of the auto registration fee increases that went into effect back in April. I paid about $500+ too.
How much did registration/license fees go up? I thought you Cali guys had been paying through the nose for years now.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
MA is just under $100 for the registration each year, but we pay excise tax annually and it was $1000 the first year, $600 the second year and typically goes down by about half each year after that. We can write off the excise tax though.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I think my initial registration is going to be over $600. Renewing next year will probably be over $500.

We got screwed a few years back when they changed registration tax to be based on vehicle value. It used to be $189 (first year) and $99 each year after. Not anymore, it sucks....

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mine is 570, way more than I signed the papers at the dealer. At least I got out of my speeding ticket earlier this year.

·
Breaking in the Pony
2019 Mustang GT / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
6,327 Posts
I fully expect to get hit hard here in Mass for what they call the excise tax on the car. 'Should be around $900.
You haven't been hit yet ? My town tagged me with the bill within a month of registration. And then every April.

George

1 - 20 of 52 Posts