BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, just wanted to pose a question on the board about doing the Inpsection II myself.

Back ground info. Have a 2002 530i. the car is going to hit 80000 km, and I was going to perform the maintainance myself. I perform all my own maintainance, except exhaust repair, done clutches, rads, tranny swaps, engine swap, oil changes, brakes, etc on other vehicles. This is my first BMW had it for 5 months now.

I am going to do the plugs and when I was getting some warranty work done on the car, I spoke with the service tech, and I asked him about the water pump and valve adjustment, he said don't bother with the water pump until 120K km and there is no need to do the valve adjustment. Now I sort of questioned that, cause I thought this had adjustable valve lash, and it was not hydralic, does anyone know this?

About the water pump, should I be okay til then? I'll check the belt. How about the fuel filter? I have already changed the engine air filter, and the interior cabin filters.

How about brake oil, tranny oil, and differential oil? When do those have to be changed?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

·
Registered
979 Posts
I think you are ok with the valves, I believe they are self-adjusting on the M54 engines. The M3 S54 engine requires valve adjustment.

Fuel filter, transmission oil, diff oil certainly a good idea to do now. Coolant is supposed to be every 4 yrs according to BMW, although that has changed to lifetime, magically. The directions on the coolant jug say every 3 yrs.

Spark plugs a possibility now. Brake fluid every 2 yrs.

Water pump and radiator, on an E39, they are going to fail, just a question of when. Mike Miller recommends replacement at 60K miles, about 100K km.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mike Miller, a great man, thank you guys. And I thought this car was going to be boring, cause I thought nothing had to be changed. Got me some lube to change on the 5.

Kind Regards,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.