BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Installed Adjustable Camber Kit on rear

14169 Views 31 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Mulchman
I got my kit from Bavauto.com Thursday. Installed it yesterday. What a job. I had to remove the lower control arms, press in new bushings and reinstall. Quick trip to a aligment rack and I'm done.

Rear camber is now 1.4 degrees negative, instead of -2.2 factory spec. We'll see if that helps on tire wear. I drove it last night feel no difference in handling so far. :)
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
http://www.bavauto.com/lview.asp?imgfile=assets/imglib500/193526.jpg

Pictures of the wheels / camber or the installed kit?
Here are the instructions.

Attachments

Was on sale in August for $270 vs. $299
Can you post some pics of your car please?....
Were your bushings worn, or is there not enough adjustment with the factory setup? Unless you are really driving aggressively thru turns, I don't think that you will feel that much difference. This should help your tire wear a lot!
I think the same....but it have to look agresive.....
Okay, now I think I know what picture you are looking for. I will post one soon.

The factory bushings were fine. I was just interested in extending the life of my tires. I like to drive my car and it gets miles. $1100 every 13,000 miles, just for rears was more than I wanted to spend on tires.
Doesn't the factory setup have adjustable camber bolts? :dunno: I have not had to mess with mine but I agree, these cars like tiressssssssssssss!
Okay, now I think I know what picture you are looking for. I will post one soon.

The factory bushings were fine. I was just interested in extending the life of my tires. I like to drive my car and it gets miles. $1100 every 13,000 miles, just for rears was more than I wanted to spend on tires.
Yes, there are a few eccentric bolts in the rear suspension that allow for a bit of camber adjustment but not much - maybe 0.5 to 1 degree.

I like my cornering so if anything I would add camber, not reduce it.
Doesn't the factory setup have adjustable camber bolts? :dunno: I have not had to mess with mine but I agree, these cars like tiressssssssssssss!
Yes there is adjustment on the rear, inside bolt of the lower arm. But in my case the bolt was maxed out and I still had TONS of negative camber. With the factory setup, I could have added negative camber. The kit allows for a little more adjustment in both directions. I wanted to get down to -.5 degrees, but the kit only let me get to -1.4. Again, factory spec is -2.2.
Pictures

Sorry, I've been busy and the pictures are not great, but here they are:

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]
Here is how my tires look like, the inside is pretty much worn the outside is still almost at 100%. Changing the chamber should help a bit but then someone told me he thinks the toe is not correct and that's how he explains the wavy wear of the tires. The old tires that I took off last spring are much more even worn but then they are better quality rubber. Any thought / advice on that? BTW there is about 18000km on these tires and the front tires (same brand as rear) are wearing even and have lots of threat left.
Yes, there are a few eccentric bolts in the rear suspension that allow for a bit of camber adjustment but not much - maybe 0.5 to 1 degree.

I like my cornering so if anything I would add camber, not reduce it.

Attachments

Too much camber normally causes a gradual wear pattern from the inside to about the middle of the tire.

If you are having extreme wear near the inner 2" or so then it is very likely toe, or worn bushings that cause very bad toe changes under power.
I remember reading this on another thread right after I did my rear bushings (also from you, Yorgi). I've always wondered if my original issue was not the negative camber but rather toe or the bushings I pulled. Either way all is better and the camber kit was only a couple hundred dollars plus an afternoon to install. Now I have the ability to add or subtract as desired. Maybe I'll go back to -2.2 on my next set of Non-RFT's and see what happens? :jack:
Too much camber normally causes a gradual wear pattern from the inside to about the middle of the tire.

If you are having extreme wear near the inner 2" or so then it is very likely toe, or worn bushings that cause very bad toe changes under power.
I had a similar issue on my 09 328 w/ the Sport Pkg (?)and staggered tires. At about 6500 miles I was get a rumble from my front end but no other effects. At 9k I brought it in, an hour and a half drive, eache way. The Service writer called me into the bay and up on a lift showed me my front tires, inside edge, worn nearly smooth and cupped. The cupping of the tires produced the rumble. Never heard of that before. At 13k I replaced all 4. I chk'd all around, Tire Rack was lowest. I went to the local shop and they matched Tire Racks price. 4 =1300.00. (And they chipped a wheel) 1100.00 just for rears on a 6, OUCH. And I'm contemplating leasing a 6 series, WOW
Check tirerack, and I think you will find that you can get rears for much less than $1100. If you get non-run flats, $400 for rears on a 6 is doable.
1100.00 just for rears on a 6, OUCH. And I'm contemplating leasing a 6 series, WOW
$200 to $250 a piece for rears now. Non RFT.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.