BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got around to installing the UUC SSK today. Took a little more than one hour, but this is taking into consideration of the fact that I had a lift, and things were much easier with this. Borrowed my friend's garage, and the installation was fairly simple. I had anticipated a hard install when people said it's a leap from the swaybars, but the only thing that I can say that would make it hard is the fact that the driveshaft gets in the way of things lots of times, and the space is really limited in there. Dan warned me about the clip from hell (I hope he wasn't referring to the clip that holds the bearings?), but the hardest part of the installation was removing the pin from the carrier. I found it easy to use a angled, slightly bent flathead screwdriver to pry it open, and then remove the pin. This applies to the clip that holds the bearings as well.

Otherwise than that, it's pretty straightfoward, and the instructions that come with the kit is a very good one. I found that while installing the rubber boot back in, it's a good idea to lube the ssk, so that it will slide in easily. As far as the difference in feel is concerned, I am very satisfied with the shifts. As uuc advertises, it's about 35-40% reduction (I opted for the cartridge bearings and delrin bushings as well), and gear engagement is now a perfect *snick*. Only thing that I do not like is a little vibration you feel between shifts, but this is only minor. Neutral to 4th shift is also stubborn.

I'm hearing some whining noise between gear changes, and do not know if the others have experienced this as well? I sealed the carrier with the rubber boot properly, and the only thing I can think of is that I have some open space between the rubber boot and the foam insulation on top of it, so I'm hearing some extra noise I haven't heard before? Any ideas on this one? Nothing significant, but gearchange noise can be heard profoundly on 1st-3rd gear shifts, and a little whining noise from 1st-3rd as well.

I'm including some pictures as well, didn't get to take too many, but tried to get some crucial shots. If anyone is thinking about one, I would recommend this to them. Shifts are much more precise now, and makes things easier (the resistance hasn't increased that much). Talk to Dan Wu if you want yours. Here are the pictures:

Comparison of stock shifter vs. uuc ssk:

Here's a shot of the selector rod removed from the stock shifter:

Here's a shot of the pin that was difficult to remove in order to take out the selector rod:

Here's a shot underneath the carrier after the cartridge bearings were installed:

Done!

·
10,856 Posts
Nice. :)

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Some noise between shifts seems 'norma,' but if its excessive, the rubber cap that is supposed to be attached to the end of the lower shaft may have come loose and stuck itself up into the upper shaft, allowing metal-to-metal contact. UUC told me they've recently redesigned it so that that cap has less of a tendency to fall off. I had to take mine apart and superglue the cap to the top of the shaft.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kaz said:
Some noise between shifts seems 'norma,' but if its excessive, the rubber cap that is supposed to be attached to the end of the lower shaft may have come loose and stuck itself up into the upper shaft, allowing metal-to-metal contact. UUC told me they've recently redesigned it so that that cap has less of a tendency to fall off. I had to take mine apart and superglue the cap to the top of the shaft.
I'll take a look at that. But what about the whistling noise from 1st-3rd? Have any ideas on that? It increases with rpms.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
so def a worthwhile mod eh? i'm going to do it too, well not right away as funds are on the low side. but hopefully by year's end i'll have sways AND ssk in the car. and if jim c's shark injector for 325/330 is done and shows decided gains in performance like it does on 323/328 then that as well. damn, that's a lot of loot into the car... oh well... all worth it. the software is last. sways or ssk will be first. prob the ssk. dunno. let me quit rambling.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
eugeneDC/TX said:
so def a worthwhile mod eh? i'm going to do it too, well not right away as funds are on the low side. but hopefully by year's end i'll have sways AND ssk in the car. and if jim c's shark injector for 325/330 is done and shows decided gains in performance like it does on 323/328 then that as well. damn, that's a lot of loot into the car... oh well... all worth it. the software is last. sways or ssk will be first. prob the ssk. dunno. let me quit rambling.
The only thing that I was worried about when going with this mod was the fact that it would not feel like original. Although the shifts were long on the stock shiter, I liked the engagement, and it was smooth. This didn't change too much with the uuc, and although it does feel a bit more 'mechanical' (on account of that perfect *snick*), I still enjoy it, and am looking forward to the results after breaking it in. As far as mod priorities are concerned, I'd go with the sways first:thumb:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.