BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
I own 3. nuff said...
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is my first article on this site. hope you like it.
step 1. make sure don't already have a ski pass hole where we're going to mount the sub. if not, remove the rubber piece from the ski pass section in the passenger middle. once removed you have an idea of your work space.
step 2. remove the seat. first remove the bottom of the seat by pulling up with force on one end then the other. Next, slowly pull the seat up and out. it's super easy.
step 3. remove the top part of the seat. first step is to remove the head rests. in my car i only had to remove the center head rest. once you've done that, pull up from the bottom with force. Next, slide the top of the seat from behind the seatbelts. that's it.
step 4. get the template that came with your sub and put it in the hole. trace the area you will cut with a marker. if you don't have a template like me, then go to officedepot, get a cheap piece of project paper in white (like cardboard but thinner) and put it down on a table. next put your sub on it and trace around. remember, this isn't what you are going to cut. measure the distance between the border of your sub (where screws go) and the actual sub body. say it's about 1". mark that on your traced paper and draw another circle. that's the hole you're going to cut!
step 5. put the traced paper in the ski pass hole and mark it with a marker. you may have to cut some of the extra rubber since the sub is round but the hole is square unless you have a square sub like kicker sells.
step 6. go to home depot and buy a jigsaw bit for metal that says tp24. this is the space between the teeth of the bits. this worked well for me.
step 7. pull out the jigsaw and from the center (there is already a small hole there from factory) cut a cross (4 lines) from the center. then cut 4 more lines from the center but in angles like a starburst. cut all the way to the circle you drew. once done, all you have to do is cut the pieces of the 'pie' out around the edge of the circle. why do it this way? because no jigsaw cuts in a circle easily. once done, go to home depot (i love making trips to that place) and buy a sand stone for metal bit to smooth the super sharp edges.
step 8. line up your sub and mark the holes you're going to drill.
step 9. buy some dry wall anchors with butterfly ends. see them in the pic? once you put those in, just tighten them and voila!
step 10. remove your cd changer if any and put in your sub amp in the same location. you do have a head unit that plays mp3/mp4, etc right? who needs a cd changer then? lol.
step 11. run the wire to the sub and fire it up.
step 12. tune the amp so you don't shake right out of your seat and enjoy!!

btw my color is a dark silver! :thumbup:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Nice job. Cool idea. I think this will be my first upgrade from stock, did you use a capicator, if you did how big did you use and what size amp? Does it thump hard or sound good? I ask cuz I do not want a thumper I just want added umph on the low hertz coming out of my car.

·
Registered
689 Posts
nice setup! looks good!

how on earth did you fit your amp + mount it in there along with the radio module etc that sits behind there? I wanted to put my amp in there as well but had no room ( tv and radio module )

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Nice job. Cool idea. I think this will be my first upgrade from stock, did you use a capicator, if you did how big did you use and what size amp? Does it thump hard or sound good? I ask cuz I do not want a thumper I just want added umph on the low hertz coming out of my car.
Kudos to the OP, a slick setup.

If you don't want a thumper but just improved bass, add this subwoofer (Blaupiunkt THB-200A). Installation is about 1 hour, requires no modification to the car, cost is <$200 and it is removeable. PM me with your email address, if you want the DIY.

Attachments

·
I own 3. nuff said...
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nice

i like that blaupunkt setup!
anyway, does mine sound clean? yep! the sub is 500watts rms and 1000watts peak. the amp is a kenwood 9103d max 850watts. i had to turn it down to like 25% because it was soo strong i would shake out of my seat! but once you turn it down it sounds clean. if listen to cab calloway or something really old it doesn't sound hardly. if i put on something with bass like dj laz it sounds super clean!!!
i took my cd changer out to fit the amp. why? because my head unit(not here yet) will play all my music plus it has a usb port so i don't need a cd changer. in fact, i sold it for 200 bones on ebay!! :p

·
I own 3. nuff said...
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no capacitor

i didn't use a capacitor eventhough i thought about it. it sounds great!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
i like that blaupunkt setup!
anyway, does mine sound clean? yep! the sub is 500watts rms and 1000watts peak. the amp is a kenwood 9103d max 850watts. i had to turn it down to like 25% because it was soo strong i would shake out of my seat! but once you turn it down it sounds clean. if listen to cab calloway or something really old it doesn't sound hardly. if i put on something with bass like dj laz it sounds super clean!!!
i took my cd changer out to fit the amp. why? because my head unit(not here yet) will play all my music plus it has a usb port so i don't need a cd changer. in fact, i sold it for 200 bones on ebay!! :p
Curious to know what the head unit is going to be, I'm am moving away from the cd burning era to the Hard drive storage era. My old 79 f150 has got an alpine system with bluetooth capability. I use my curve (8310) as my mp3 player and I play my music in my truck via bluetooth (A2DP and AVRCP) works like a champ. I wish that bluetooth module that I have in my 540 was equiped with this feature..that would be excellent. I'm sure the new bluetooth modules offer this.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks for the info on all the responses. I like that blapunk setup, however I already have 2 12" MTX competion kickers rated at 1000 watts a piece, have never stuck that much through them. I just wanted to know amperage to make a good clean added bass sound. So 25% of 1000 peak I can handle that, this way (250 amps) definitely do not need a cap. I hate when you set up a car and the person does not have a cap and they do not want to buy one when you hit a bass note the car lights almost go out. That is stupid! Anyways thanks for the advice on amperage.

·
I own 3. nuff said...
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
head unit

Curious to know what the head unit is going to be, I'm am moving away from the cd burning era to the Hard drive storage era. My old 79 f150 has got an alpine system with bluetooth capability. I use my curve (8310) as my mp3 player and I play my music in my truck via bluetooth (A2DP and AVRCP) works like a champ. I wish that bluetooth module that I have in my 540 was equiped with this feature..that would be excellent. I'm sure the new bluetooth modules offer this.
my head unit seems to offer EVERYTHING we want in a single din receiver for the bimmers. i should receive it by friday i hope and will post pics and info. so far, it has dvd playback, cdr/rw playback, mp3/mp4 support, aux in, usb in, BLUETOOTH so it mutes itself when a call comes in, GPS with sd card with maps, radio am/fm, and tv tuner (which is a mute point since everything is going digital anyway but hey it has it) all for 389.00!! i know it's too good to be true. i'll let you know if it is. :rofl:

here is a pic of the radio

it's a 5inch screen MORE THAN ENOUGH trust me.

·
Registered
141 Posts
hey that sh$t looks kick ass, i really want to know about the setup when you get a chance. GPS too eh. bad ass...whats the product name by the way?

·
I own 3. nuff said...
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hey that sh$t looks kick ass, i really want to know about the setup when you get a chance. GPS too eh. bad ass...whats the product name by the way?
doesn't have one. check this out on ebay where i bought it for 289 actually. do a search for the first line in this description

1Din 5 inch TFT LCD Touch Screen Car DVD Player w/ GPS & iPod cable
Card-reader + Radio + TV tuner + Bluetooth + IPOD + GPS system

***9679; 5.0-inch, 16:9 and TFT LCD display

***9679; Touch Screen

***9679; GPS Navigation System

***9679; Built in Bluetooth

***9679; Support iPod

***9679; Auto adjustable/ detachable panel

***9679; AM/FM receiver

***9679; USB2.0/SD/MMC compatible

***9679; Video/ Audio Output

***9679; Video/ Audio Input

***9679; Rear View Cam Input

***9679; Powerful output 50walts X 4

***9679; Card size full function remote control

***9679; TV tuner with PAL/NTSC/SECAM:D/K. I. B/G.M video system

***9679; DVD/SVCD/VCD/CD/CD-R/CD-RW

***9679; MP3/MP4/DIVX

***9679; RDS (for EU countries)

***9679; 2G SD Card and GPS map included

:thumbup:

·
Registered
146 Posts
I really wouldn't recommend going with a no name Head Unit. Remember your driving a BMW, when it comes to replacing things, spend the extra money and buy somthing that is going to last and that has a warentee. Personally I've never felt good about buying things on Ebay, you never know what your going to get. Why not check out the Alpine HU, great manufacturer and quality processing. When you buy a crap HU, your going to get crap sound. :)

·
I own 3. nuff said...
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I really wouldn't recommend going with a no name Head Unit. Remember your driving a BMW, when it comes to replacing things, spend the extra money and buy somthing that is going to last and that has a warentee. Personally I've never felt good about buying things on Ebay, you never know what your going to get. Why not check out the Alpine HU, great manufacturer and quality processing. When you buy a crap HU, your going to get crap sound. :)
my buddy bought this and swears up and down by it. it's the same mfg as pioneer! remember that all this stuff is made by maybe like 10 mfg houses in china/hk/japan and the big companies slap their name on it. did you know that samsung tv's are made by LG? to me it's all about word of mouth. if my friend loves it, it may be great! here's hoping!
:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts