BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I need to remove the rear glove compartment (the storage behind your seat). My main goal is to take out the center console, but I need to take out this compartment so I can wiggle the center console out. The LAST step of removing the rear compartment says

"16. Rotate Manual Override cable clip (1)
counter-clockwise, then pull to disconnect
from override lever. "

per the instructions of the alpine CD changer installation.
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/6042EN.pdf

I do not understand this instruction at all. What am I supposed to do?!?! I have fudged with the string and rotate thing for an hour. Any tips or help? I am running a 2005 Z4 2.5i, not that I think it matters but I figure Ill put that in there.

·
Registered
275 Posts
If I'm interpreting the instructions correctly, their "counter clockwise" is as if you are looking at it from the drivers side, so the top of the cable would tilt toward the front of the car.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
finding an issue

if im reading this right my car is different than this picture. They want the string removed but I cleary cant remove it.

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
Got to love instructions! So the section close to the bras clamp will absolutely not slide over the wider end of the teardrop?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ughhhh

Got to love instructions! So the section close to the bras clamp will absolutely not slide over the wider end of the teardrop?

yes. thats true. i was able to manage though. i got the wholencompartment to get on its side and flip it backwards. not that that makes sense to you, but i got my issue fixed. thanks though! :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
JerBearr,

So I take it you never got the cable disconnected? I'm at that same point in the step-by-step and like you I cannot figure out what they are saying to do. I'm replacing the long trim piece along the leading edge of the soft top compartment. That requires removing the covers behind the roll bars which requires removing the rear console. I can carry on with the console simply moved over a few inches but it is a pain and I'm worried I'm going to break it with all the gyrations I'm going thru. Would just be a whole lot easier with that darn console completely out of the way.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unable to remove it

JerBearr,

So I take it you never got the cable disconnected? I'm at that same point in the step-by-step and like you I cannot figure out what they are saying to do. I'm replacing the long trim piece along the leading edge of the soft top compartment. That requires removing the covers behind the roll bars which requires removing the rear console. I can carry on with the console simply moved over a few inches but it is a pain and I'm worried I'm going to break it with all the gyrations I'm going thru. Would just be a whole lot easier with that darn console completely out of the way.
Unfortunately that is correct. I could not remove the piece. I believe depending on the model you have that little piece varies. I was able to lean both seats foward all the way and pull them as close to the dash as I could and then I was able to pull that cord out and rotate the plastic piece around and rested it on top of my convertible top (it is put down, I assume yours is too as putting it down is required in the directions). I was then able to work just as if the piece was taken out. Man, I sure hope this makes sense to you, it was kind of a makeshift solution to get around this problem. If you need a better explanation I can try.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think I understand you. You basically just flipped the entire console unit up and back onto your retracted top. That won't work for me since I have to work in the soft top stowage compartment. I pulled the console forward a couple of inches and slipped a 2x2 stick behind it to hold the gap. Like I said before it will allow me to get the job done but it makes it pretty awkward. Guess I'll carry on with it as is. Thanks for responding.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'd like to add some more info for the next poor schmuck who has to try to get the console completely out of the car. My experience with the "cable" (actually it's a string as Jer refers to it) was a little different. I was able to get the string off the tear shaped peg but that doesn't end the problem. Two inches higher up in the mechanism the string runs through a tiny hole just slightly bigger then the string itself. The loop and brass clamp on the end of the string won't fit thru that hole. So you're still stuck. It looks to me like the mechanism itself (kind of a mounting plate for the lever and spring apparatus) would have to be taken off the console. Note the silver torex screw in Jer's photo. There are a few of these that appear to fasten it to the console. Or possibly the mechanism could just be loosened. The hole that the string runs through is not actually a simple hole drilled thru a piece. It is a notch on an edge of the mechanism. With the mechanism screwed in place the notch is flush to it's mounting piece and this completes the "hole". Hard to describe in words but you'll see what I mean if you have to tackle this job. (Bless your heart!) I'm not sure but there might be more complications with pursuing this route plus reassembly seemed like a big pain so I just decided to struggle with working around the console.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts