BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i dont have GPS but i would someday like to get it. would getting a GPS aftermarket not be smart considering bmw's warranty issues? would going to a bmw dealer and asking for the BMW GPS be the best idea? how pricey is it to have it installed in a car that just has the H/K speakers and business cd.

·
ex-M couper
1,751 Posts
dankykev04 said:
i dont have GPS but i would someday like to get it. would getting a GPS aftermarket not be smart considering bmw's warranty issues? would going to a bmw dealer and asking for the BMW GPS be the best idea? how pricey is it to have it installed in a car that just has the H/K speakers and business cd.
I just did this on my 2004 325xiT. Total parts cost was about $2300 IIRC.
I don't know if you will find any BMW dealer willing to do the retrofit for you.
Look in the Audio/electronics forum here on Bimmerfest for my post. It has pointers to everything you will need, except someone to do it if you don't want to do it yourself.

·
Uber Olive Brain
169 Posts
dankykev04 said:
You could always just get a plain automotive (mount on dash/window) GPS, although most don't have voice recognition. The Garmin ones are good, are probably much more easily upgradeable, and are a LOT cheaper than the factory one (like around 1/4-1/2 the price). On the other hand, it's a lot easier to steal, too.

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
I consider myself slightly mechanically/electronically inclined (enough to do my own maintenance, complete suspension swap on my E30, etc).. but I would never take on installing a NAV in a non-NAV car :).

Just get a garmin. I've got one that I used in my E30. I still use it on my motorcycle and in my girlfriend's car. It doesn't talk to me, but the UI is actually a lot more user-friendly than the factory NAV. It's also very helpful being able to connect it to my PC to download routes and waypoints

That said, factory NAV does look pimp.. :)

·
3,365 Posts
dankykev04 said:
I know of 2 states that are thinking about installing a GPS for you, possibly at no charge. I don't know. Then the state will be happy to monitor your every mile and possibly your location and driving habits. :confused:

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

·
Uber Olive Brain
169 Posts
Patrick330i said:
I know of 2 states that are thinking about installing a GPS for you, possibly at no charge. I don't know. Then the state will be happy to monitor your every mile and possibly your location and driving habits. :confused:
Cars with Assist (recent ones, at least) already have a GPS, even without NAV. :eek:

·
Registered
40 Posts
dankykev04 said:
I am in the same situation and I have found the answer. Pioneer offers the best thing I have seen. TALK ABOUT SWEET!! Check out the site, this is going in my 330 as soon as I get back from Germany. :thumbup: :bigpimp:

Had a Mercedes rental, had to turn that POS in for a real car... BMW please!! Something about doing 240k and feeling safe while doing it. Mercedes just doesn't have the feedback you need. If I was all about Social standings I would buy one, but to me they are nothing but an over priced, underpowered, non-handling BMW. :tsk: Sorry about the vent job. :mad:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.