BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I bought a 435i GC last month which was supposed to have M performance package II (which includes MPPK and M performance exhaust). The dealership also charged me for these.

Recently the dealership checked the car again and found out that these are actually NOT installed, due to some error on their part.

They want to install these components now.

So, how complicated is this installation (both MPPK and the new exhaust)? If it is a major installation may be it is better to say no and ask for refund since the car is still very new? Thoughts?

TIA!!

·
Warning - Thin Air
1,772 Posts
The MPPK is just a software update, so no big deal and the exhaust is even easier. In fact I installed my MPE is about 20 minutes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The MPPK is just a software update, so no big deal and the exhaust is even easier. In fact I installed my MPE is about 20 minutes.
I thought MPPK adds another 35hp or so. Maybe I'm wrong, but wouldn't that require some additional hardware?

·
Registered
79 Posts
The MPPK is just a tune. No hardware required - software update only. Like in the old days of saying it is a chip - this is essentially the same thing, but nobody uses a replaceable chip anymore.

You can kind of think of it like when your smartphone gets an OS upgrade (think iOS 9 to iOS 10 or Android Marshmallow to Nougat) - you get more functionality out of the phone, but you didn't actually change phones -- this is sort of the same, but you're updating the software on the car with a more aggressive map that provides more horsepower. It likely does this by increasing boost pressure on the turbo - someone who is more familiar with the MPPK for the N55 engine can probably elaborate on what the tune does.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The MPPK is just a tune. No hardware required - software update only. Like in the old days of saying it is a chip - this is essentially the same thing, but nobody uses a replaceable chip anymore.

You can kind of think of it like when your smartphone gets an OS upgrade (think iOS 9 to iOS 10 or Android Marshmallow to Nougat) - you get more functionality out of the phone, but you didn't actually change phones -- this is sort of the same, but you're updating the software on the car with a more aggressive map that provides more horsepower. It likely does this by increasing boost pressure on the turbo - someone who is more familiar with the MPPK for the N55 engine can probably elaborate on what the tune does.
Great explanation Liquidice! Appreciate it!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts