Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some feedback related to an option for extending the longevity of my X5 4.8i. I have the opportunity to purchase a used 4.8i N62 engine that has 40,000 miles on it. My current engine has 150,000. Can I expect less wear and tear on the engine itself but the same rock hard and ready to break gaskets/seals? Any benefits to this swap? I figure that the $1,000+ leak repairs in the future would easily add up to more than the cost of a used motor with these miles. This swap would allow me to keep my current engine and do what I want with it. Anyone with helpful opinions is appreciated.

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,219 Posts
It isn't just miles, it is also time. Gaskets get old and brittle from heat and time.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agree with what you are stating. I guess engine replacement is probably only best when the current one has catastrophic failure.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,474 Posts
Better a devil that you know than a devil that you don***8217;t.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Yep, it comes down to ... is the previous history of the engine known or can the service records be obtained?

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
old seals are old seals, If you have ever done valve cover gaskets on a bmw you will know, they get hard like plastic. Now if your engine is bad a 40k mile engine is a score..... but while it was out id change all the gaskets.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Looking for some feedback related to an option for extending the longevity of my X5 4.8i. I have the opportunity to purchase a used 4.8i N62 engine that has 40,000 miles on it. My current engine has 150,000. Can I expect less wear and tear on the engine itself but the same rock hard and ready to break gaskets/seals? Any benefits to this swap? I figure that the $1,000+ leak repairs in the future would easily add up to more than the cost of a used motor with these miles. This swap would allow me to keep my current engine and do what I want with it. Anyone with helpful opinions is appreciated.
I feel your pain... Just did the VC Gaskets a couple of weeks ago.
Now the oil pan seals (both top and bottom) are leaking as is the rear main seal.

Need more $$s

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,797 Posts
Ma'am, weve already established that- we are just bickering about the price.

Cannot answer unless you tell us the cost of that 40k mile motor. $500 it is a no brainer.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ma'am, weve already established that- we are just bickering about the price.

Cannot answer unless you tell us the cost of that 40k mile motor. $500 it is a no brainer.

Good question. Motor is offered at $3,750. (I don’t like the price, I just like the mileage but I’m sure the seals have hardened). My X5 has developed its first minor leak. I think it is a valve cover leak so I know I have time to evaluate what to do. Love the X5 but want the smart approach rather than the throw parts at it approach. The only other leak I have ever had was the oil cooler gasket. I know that this engine has been great and has beaten the odds but we all know what is inevitable. At 152,000 miles I hear tick tock tick tock. I can’t complain at all about how this N62 has held up.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
287 Posts
Engine price seems kind of high. Didn't BMW reduce the price of their new engine replacements for the N62 and N63? One thing that comes to mind is that the 40,000 mileage engine may have slow grid lock city stop and go hot climate driving, in other words a lot of wear. It's also probably being sold for a reason, potentially an accident that hopefully isn't hiding some damage.

If you are thinking of investing in the labor why not spend the extra for the peace of mind of getting more solid hardware potentially with the revised valve stem seals.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Engine price seems kind of high. Didn't BMW reduce the price of their new engine replacements for the N62 and N63? One thing that comes to mind is that the 40,000 mileage engine may have slow grid lock city stop and go hot climate driving, in other words a lot of wear. It's also probably being sold for a reason, potentially an accident that hopefully isn't hiding some damage.

If you are thinking of investing in the labor why not spend the extra for the peace of mind of getting more solid hardware potentially with the revised valve stem seals.

I’m just interested in options. I have never dealt with used engines. My current engine has been fantastic and still is. I had a warranty that went to 130,000 or 140,000 miles so I took care of everything possible under warranty. That leaves me with great bones and a lot of replaced parts. Would be nice to reseal my engine and get another 100k. I just don’t want to be that thread that replaces one gasket then another 3 months later and another after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
If you cannot get the service and maintenance records for the prior ownership of this engine the 40K miles does not tell you enough about it yet. For example, if the valve stem seals have not been replaced yet that engine comes with an additional $2500 expense in the near future. Has it had the alternator bracket seal replaced previously which will be another big dollar expense. Did the previous owner change the oil on time? Was it overheated because of a water pump failure?

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Agree on all comments. Your opinions are appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

1 - 14 of 14 Posts