BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, yesterday, my BMW 2003 330xi's Battery Light popped up during my drive home, that's all. Second day, Battedy Light still on, now fans turning on and off when key is in power gear, radio cutting out, lights dimming. When the car is on, radio cuts out, lights dim, LOUD popping sound (can't figure out where it's coming from, sounds like pebbles being thrown at my car), revs go up and down a few hundreds very few seconds, car shakes, (This is while the car is on and in Park). Also, checked my battery voltage when car is in the 2nd key mode (electric only) and it idles at 11.2Volts, when I power the car on, it goes to 8.8Volts, then to average 10.5. I don't want to drive it anymore until it's fixed. I was reading online that it's probably my alternator, is that correct? Any idea of costs (Part + Labor, etc). Thanks.

Also, ever since my battery light came on the first day, I was less than a mile from hom and haven't driven it since (2 Days now), only turned it on once to test voltage when I noticed other terrible changes listed above.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Your alternator is the probable culprit. Grab a small mirror and a flashlight. Pop the hood and remove the air filter box (10 mm bolts). Read the label on the back of the alternator. If you're lucky it will read "Bosch." If it does read Bosch you can easily change the voltage regulator for less than $60. Make sure the replacement regulator is Bosch, and not aftermarket.

If the label reads "Valeo" may be able to replace the voltage regulator.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your alternator is the probable culprit. Grab a small mirror and a flashlight. Pop the hood and remove the air filter box (10 mm bolts). Read the label on the back of the alternator. If you're lucky it will read "Bosch." If it does read Bosch you can easily change the voltage regulator for less than $60. Make sure the replacement regulator is Bosch, and not aftermarket.

If the label reads "Valeo" may be able to replace the voltage regulator.
Hello there, so turned my car on and did a test (Whole thing took 2 mins), my radio stopped working and about 30 seconds later, lights flashing, car won't start, etc. is it normal to die this quick? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Hello, yesterday, my BMW 2003 330xi's Battery Light popped up during my drive home, that's all. Second day, Battedy Light still on, now fans turning on and off when key is in power gear, radio cutting out, lights dimming. When the car is on, radio cuts out, lights dim, LOUD popping sound (can't figure out where it's coming from, sounds like pebbles being thrown at my car), revs go up and down a few hundreds very few seconds, car shakes, (This is while the car is on and in Park). Also, checked my battery voltage when car is in the 2nd key mode (electric only) and it idles at 11.2Volts, when I power the car on, it goes to 8.8Volts, then to average 10.5. I don't want to drive it anymore until it's fixed. I was reading online that it's probably my alternator, is that correct? Any idea of costs (Part + Labor, etc). Thanks.

Also, ever since my battery light came on the first day, I was less than a mile from hom and haven't driven it since (2 Days now), only turned it on once to test voltage when I noticed other terrible changes listed above.
Simple. Your VR went out and the subsequent low voltage from a depleted battery is causing the rest of your gremlins.

The alternator is solid on the E46. The VR however is another story.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts