I give up. What's the problem?

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Strange, I did not realize the Xi's have different gauge clusters :dunno:

While I am unable to detect an issue from the photos, I am not sure I can since my gauge cluster is different.

My only guess is the rectangle area where the odometer, audio playlist, Nav directions, etc. show up is not visible. Is that what is broken?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
His odo and trip counters are gone, that's what it is, I believe.
Not only that, the clock and the outside temp are in different positions.

It is almost like a second version of the dash loaded.

If this a feature or a bug? :eek:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The lower part of the instrument cluster display not visible. : time, milage, efficiency dynamics word / meter and temp missing.
I went to BMW , they don't know what happened. Scheduled me next week for diagnostics. Got my car this Aug. , 3200 miles

·
Registered
332 Posts
Not only that, the clock and the outside temp are in different positions.

It is almost like a second version of the dash loaded.

If this a feature or a bug? :eek:
He has the extended black panel display , comes w/Head Up Display option as of 3/11 production

·
Registered
332 Posts
Anybody here had problem with their instrument cluster. I was driving this morning my 535 xi msport CB when suddenly I notice this.
Thanks
so the shot on left doesnt supply the info in shot on right, does this cycle on/off, or does it happen only on start up?

Mine looks just like pic on right.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
He has the extended black panel display , comes w/Head Up Display option as of 3/11 production
Is there an advantage to change the cluster if you have HUD? Is the standard display on dash redundant?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I actually had the same thing happen to me about a month ago...all the odomater and temp info along the bottom were blacked out? Happened only once so I just figured not a big deal but I dont have HUD??

·
Everything's Bigger in TX
7,121 Posts
Is there an advantage to change the cluster if you have HUD? Is the standard display on dash redundant?
1. When you order HUD, it comes with the upgraded cluster. There's no option to do so.
2. HUD only gives you limited information. No revs, no trip odo, no fuel economy readout, etc. So there is a lot of data still displayed there.

The extended black panel is a really nice upgrade, IMO, and worth the price. I'd get HUD just for the black panel, even if I never used the HUD (which I would, but that's not the point).

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Funny how so much can be missing and it still looks normal in a picture.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I actually had the same thing happen to me about a month ago...all the odomater and temp info along the bottom were blacked out? Happened only once so I just figured not a big deal but I dont have HUD??
I have the HUD and it happened to me last week. The display had been normal, then I stopped in to refuel. When I restarted the car, I had the blanked-out lower display. I shut the car off and re-started it; still blank. I hit the trip odometer reset anyway, hoping it was just a display issue, and drove home, which is less than a mile.

Next morning, I hopped in, started it up, the display was fine, and the trip odometer had been properly reset. It only happened that once (so far). My car is a July 2011 build with HUD.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had mine also built July 2011 with HUD. Now that the cluster display is back to normal---> should I go to my scheduled appointment next week to the BMW dealer for diagnostics ? Just a waste of time and gas? Not sure :(

·
Registered
394 Posts
I had mine also built July 2011 with HUD. Now that the cluster display is back to normal---> should I go to my scheduled appointment next week to the BMW dealer for diagnostics ? Just a waste of time and gas? Not sure :(
Pretty fishy that we both have similar cars and have both had a similar problem.

Curious -- do you use an iPod? If so, have you had problems with the car dropping the connection after startup?

·
BMW Enthusiast
305 Posts
The extended black panel is a really nice upgrade, IMO, and worth the price. I'd get HUD just for the black panel, even if I never used the HUD (which I would, but that's not the point).
Would it be possible to switch the regular instrument cluster for the black panel? I've been thinking of doing this mod for a while, I'm just not sure if it will need some type of software since BMW ECU's are extremely sensitive to changes.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts