BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning as I was driving I noticed my MPG gauge was not working. Then I noticed the speedometer and gas meter stopped working. Then the RPM gauge. Then the odometer and the trip count. The lights and everything else still works. I took the cluster out the dash and unplugged it hopping it would reset or something but no dice. Any body know what the problem could be and what I need to do to fix it? Let's say I had to buy a new cluster. What do I do about the odometer on the new one? How would I put the old mileage on there.

Please help! Thank you!

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
First you could check your fuse box, in case problem is there and not in instrument cluster.
If no luck with that then might need new or second hand instrument cluster.
Changing it is not very difficult with some coding tool. Another instrument cluster need to be in virgin state as new (mileage zero) then put in yor car's VIN code and after that you can set any mileage you want in there.

That's why shouldn't blindly believe mileage when buying car. Can be double checked from other computer boxes in car though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks
On my way to work it just started working again. I'm not sure what it was but I hope it doesn't happen again

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2000 328i with 162.000 miles. I replaced the heater blower resistor and now the instrument cluster gauges are not working. I check and ohm all fuses/ these are find. The cluster background lights work but no gauges. Yes I disconnected the battery prior to the resistor change to avoid possible power surges but I guess it didn't matter.
I reads old treads of people having similar problems but not descriptions of how to fix this problem. ANYBODY PLEASE, ANY IDEAS Loosing my mind.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah just when I thought it went back to normal it's doing it again. I did the cluster test and all the dials and lights work when I perform the test. I'm guessing it might be a speed/ABS Sensor. Anyone please help!? Thank you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts