BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a few searches and didn't find anything on this or any similar pics, even though I've sworn I've seen it posted here before.

Any ideas what causes this and what the fix is? I know I will need to take the car into the dealership, but with it being Friday and the dealership saying they won't have any loaner cars available until mid/late next week, I'm stuck with this and wondering if there's a temporary fix.

I've tried arming the car and letting it sit for 10 min before disarming & starting up the car, but the cluster keeps on flickering and the speedometer is offset and not aligned. I have a UniCarScan UCSI-2000 that I can plug in, but is there anything I can reset in Bimmercode? Is there instrument cluster fuse that I can pull to reset it?

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
If your G30 is still under warranty I suggest you refrain from any "fixing" lest you cause issues that could give BMW an "OUT" to refuse a warranty claim!

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
see above!!!!! that is exactly what happened to me when I tried Alpina before realizing I needed the full digital dash. I can't recall if I reset the coding using the backup feature in Bimmercode or if it just fixed itself. I'm sure I reset the dash to non-Alpina first and then something else but IT DID GET FIXED using Bimmercode, no need to go to the dealer for me

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, I did not try Alpina mode since I know from the past it won't even work, so it's disabled in Bimmercode.

I found the fuses for the instrument cluster and pulled it, waited 20 min and then put it back in and that reset everything. Seems to be fine after driving the car for a couple of hours today without any issues, and with a few start & stops.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And yes the car is still under warranty and my servicing was prepaid, but it's actually a hassle to take the car into the dealership every time for something small due to my schedule and the location of the dealership I like going to, so I'll just let the codes build up & store in its memory until my next scheduled service.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
And yes the car is still under warranty and my servicing was prepaid, but it's actually a hassle to take the car into the dealership every time for something small due to my schedule and the location of the dealership I like going to, so I'll just let the codes build up & store in its memory until my next scheduled service.
I hear you on small fixes. I believe that there is a timeout feature on storing codes so if you delay going in, you will likely lose the codes unless you read them and store them yourself.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Dealer visits for "small stuff"

Totally understand your not wanting to be inconvenienced anytime something "small" pops up. However, some of those situations may NOT be stored in whatever memory the car has reserved for that. Taking a picture can certainly help document the situation - I've done that a few times so my SA didn't have to interpret my verbal description. And the tech also found the pics informative and helped guide them to a solution.

Glad this most recent display kinda 'disappeared' but I suspect there will be some s/w investigation or even a parts replacement in your future ... I suggest you give your servicing dealer a heads-up so they can plan to have a suitable loaner ready for you! :thumbup:

·
Ziggy.
445 Posts
I hear you on small fixes. I believe that there is a timeout feature on storing codes so if you delay going in, you will likely lose the codes unless you read them and store them yourself.
this issue doesnt set faults, OP just take a picture of screen for your service team but we usually either program the vehicle or replace the cluster for your issue.

·
Premium Member
2022 540i MSport
9,473 Posts
OT: Do you ever dust the interior? :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had a similar issue two days ago on our 530e. It was like what should have been on the left was on the right, but also was only partly there and overlaid. It was a mess. Has been ok since. I wonder if there was some over the are update or something from the connected app that was messed up. I did dust the dash area just before. ??

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm going for Service this Thursday, regarding the same recurring issue that happened a couple of months back. Back then they did a soft reset and it fixed the issue, but it just happened again this Saturday. I found a bulletin that estates CAUSE Vehicles produced to 01/31/2018: Problem with the contact at the Automotive Pixel Link connection plug on the instrument cluster. Vehicles produced after 02/01/2018 Software error in the instrument cluster. This will be my second time, perhaps it is time to replace the cluster, since another reset might just fix it temporaly again, either way my 530 still under warranty.

Ref: INSTRUMENT CLUSTER DISPLAY SHAKES-SHIFTS TO THE LEFT

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'm going for Service this Thursday, regarding the same recurring issue that happened a couple of months back. Back then they did a soft reset and it fixed the issue, but it just happened again this Saturday. I found a bulletin that estates CAUSE Vehicles produced to 01/31/2018: Problem with the contact at the Automotive Pixel Link connection plug on the instrument cluster. Vehicles produced after 02/01/2018 Software error in the instrument cluster. This will be my second time, perhaps it is time to replace the cluster, since another reset might just fix it temporaly again, either way my 530 still under warranty.

Ref: INSTRUMENT CLUSTER DISPLAY SHAKES-SHIFTS TO THE LEFT
Had the same thing last April. Took it to the dealer and they said they will try to program it to resolve the issue but if it doesn't they would probably replace the display. They were aware of the TSB. Turns out that when they started programming, the remote BMW diagnostics picked up a problem and simply said the display needs to be replaced. So dealer ordered part and it was replaced the next day. No problems since. --Bob

Reactions: deecbr900rr

·
Registered
2018 X3 30i XDrive
32 Posts
Had the same thing last April. Took it to the dealer and they said they will try to program it to resolve the issue but if it doesn't they would probably replace the display. They were aware of the TSB. Turns out that when they started programming, the remote BMW diagnostics picked up a problem and simple said the display needs to be replaced. So dealer ordered part and it was replaced the next day. No problems since. --Bob
My 2018 X3 30i is doing the exact same thing as the one above . Has done it 3 times and each time I’ve taken a picture of it to document in case of no codes . The way it shifts the only way to read your MPH is in sport mode . Mentioned it to my SA over the phone and his reply was they would first reprogram it and if that doesn’t work replace it .

View attachment 1010561

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did a few searches and didn't find anything on this or any similar pics, even though I've sworn I've seen it posted here before. Any ideas what causes this and what the fix is? I know I will need to take the car into the dealership, but with it being Friday and the dealership saying they won't have any loaner cars available until mid/late next week, I'm stuck with this and wondering if there's a temporary fix. I've tried arming the car and letting it sit for 10 min before disarming & starting up the car, but the cluster keeps on flickering and the speedometer is offset and not aligned. I have a UniCarScan UCSI-2000 that I can plug in, but is there anything I can reset in Bimmercode? Is there instrument cluster fuse that I can pull to reset it?
The same thing is happening to my 2018 X3 can i fix this myself .....I am teachable....don't want to incur another dealership bill. My car is out of warranty at about 36K now I appreciate any and all help.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts