BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to find a used, working, instrument cluster for my 1985 318i. My original has a non-working tach, odometer, and temp. guage. I've priced replacement gears for the odometer and they're $25.00 each and I need all three. For that money I thought that finding a used guage cluster might be the way to go. Any out there?
Thanks, Harry

·
Registered
E92 07 328xi, 04 F350 6.0, 92 Jetta Carat
2,507 Posts
Harry Rich said:
I would like to find a used, working, instrument cluster for my 1985 318i. My original has a non-working tach, odometer, and temp. guage. I've priced replacement gears for the odometer and they're $25.00 each and I need all three. For that money I thought that finding a used guage cluster might be the way to go. Any out there?
Thanks, Harry
have you tried ebay or even www.car-parts.com

·
Rather Large Member
4,553 Posts
Yup ebay almost always has whole clusters listed. Just be sure to ask if everything works before you bid.

·
Rather Large Member
4,553 Posts
PuebloPete said:
I think you have to stick with your own kind though. VDO or Motometer. But then again I could be wrong.
Nah, if you change the whole cluster, then VDO and Motometer are intechangeable. It's when you try to mix parts, that you can/will get trouble. Of course you'll wanna make sure the redline on the tachometer is the same too.

·
Registered
E92 07 328xi, 04 F350 6.0, 92 Jetta Carat
2,507 Posts
:stupid:

If you swap out the cluster with another one that is from any e30 with match tachs as far as redline you should be good to go

·
Registered
43 Posts
My '87 325 was originally equipped with a VDO instrument cluster. When I started having problems with the speedo, I dropped in a Motronics unit i bought for $35 on ebay. Everything worked fine, except that the speedometer reads ~20% faster than I'm going. There's a scale factor printed on the speedo that I think relates the speedo reading the the frequency of the pulses coming from the speed sensor. I haven't fooled around with it to see what I can change to correct the reading - afraid I'll fubar the unit. I just mentally adjust for the higher speedo reading.

·
Registered
294 Posts
not to hijack your thread at all...but on the topic of clusters...

has anyone swapped in an oil pressure gauge to thier cluster?

i'd like to have one and make it look stock...

just wondering if anyone has some ideas :)

·
another E30 nut
916 Posts
its a very good idea.........however i think only the M3 cluster has it,in place of the AMPG needle. Would be better and cheaper to install one in front of the front ashtray....

·
Rather Large Member
4,553 Posts
mattdk318i said:
its a very good idea.........however i think only the M3 cluster has it,in place of the AMPG needle. Would be better and cheaper to install one in front of the front ashtray....
:stupid: Get one that goes in the ashtray's place or in the cubby above the ashtray, and a mechanical oil pressure gauge, with the braided pressure line.

·
Registered
294 Posts
thanks for the replys...

didnt think to just drill a hole down there, pretty good spot to put one...i can even steal the ashtray light for it if needed...

lastly...anyone have a reccomendation for a good gauge? and install instructions? i've never installed one that didnt just use a sending unit...

*edit* what range do i need for the gauge?

sorry i should have asked this last time :banghead:

·
Rather Large Member
4,553 Posts
VDO gauges are good, I like Autometer. You'll need a sending unit if you choose an electric gauge. I think about 80 psi would serve you just fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts