Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
My wife drives the 325i
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently priced several car insurance policies. Surprisingly, a claim for a small windshield crack that I ultimately paid for myself is documented. Even though I did not receive any compensation from my car insurance carrier, it is now a part of my record.

I highly recommend that people review their policies and fully understand their coverage to avoid a similar situation.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
where

where are you from? what insurance company/

·
My wife drives the 325i
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is an example that illustrates the issue. Imagine that someone is backing out of the garage and scrapes the side of the car. The person calls the insurance company and describes the accident. The insurance company logs the call as a claim. The car owner now obtains a quote of $450.00 for the repair from a body shop. Let's assume that the insurance policy deductible is $500.00, and the car owner elects to pay for the repair without notifying the insurance company. Although the insurance company did not pay for the car to be repaired, the owner has a "claim" in the record that can affect future quotes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Find a new insurance company. I have had four new windshields (road debris) plus a new paint job (due to vandalism) in the past three years and my insurance has not gone up one penny. Oh, and a COLLISION claim for $978. My insurance company will not raise my rates due to any comprehensive claim or collision claim where < $1K is paid out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Windshield claims & insurance crap like that...

Windshield claims, as all claims are documented in a database for insurance companies. Your company/agent has the ability to run a CLUE report. A CLUE (Claims Loss Underwriting) report is a tool for agents & underwriters to determine eligibility etc. regarding your claims history. This report is not the ultimate deciding factor, but does contribute to the decision to accept/decline the risk.

CLUE reports list any claim that may or may not have been paid on your behalf. It also lists the date of the occurrence, the vehicle involved, the VIN no., amount paid out, type of claim (glass, bodily injury etc.). Sometimes it may be a member of your household's accident appearing on your report, because you share the same address (ie roommates, father-son/Sr.-Jr.) or it could be the person who lived at the house before you. Addresses, social security no's, DOB's etc are all cross referenced. This is why when you call around for a quote they ask you for your SS no., however, this report can be obtained w/o the SS no.

If nothing was paid out on this incident you are referring to, it should show the claim details with $0 paid out. This should not affect your rates.

The best advice I can give you, is to document & copy everything when you are involved in an accident. Especially if you are not at fault.... be sure to make copies of everything the other company sends you, including any settlement checks.

Hope this helps to clarify... sorry to ramble. I have been an insurance agent/broker/CSR in 3 states (CA, PA & NY) over 8 years and now work for an insurance company. Disclaimer: Some of the details above may vary from state to state. :)

Jennifer

·
My wife drives the 325i
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jennifer,

Thank you for the excellent explanation regarding claims and rates. I think that this information is useful and appreciate the time taken to inform us of the details.

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
Also make sure your coverage is at a pretty high level (especially in Ca.)

For members in Ca. I highly recommend reviewing your coverage and making sure they are at pretty high levels.

I was taking my 95 Avus Blue M3 to work one morning and was stopped at a stop light. When the light turned green, I went into the intersection, got into the 2nd lane of a 4 lane road and was hit by a huge motorcycle that ran the red light doing about 45 -50 mph!

What a mess: the front end of my car was everywhere and part of the riders leg was somewhere the rest of his body was not. He was concious, in a lot of pain but he lived.

There were lots of witnesses, police came and took staements and my insurance company came and investigated the scene. It was determined not to be my fault and I was even paid for my car by the other guy's insurance company. Now here's where it gets nuts:

Apparently Ca. has a proposition for multiple car accidents (like freeway pileups) where the damages are shared among the insurance companies. That's fine, but in my case there were only 2 parties. Wrong: apparently a good attorney has no trouble somehow bringing the city or state in as a third party. The motorcycle rider has enormous medical bills (over 100K), retained an attorney, threatened suit and my insurance company offered my policy max. If they didn't, we could get hauled into court, run the risk of losing and get this: IF MY SIDE LOST I WOULD BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE AMOUNT OVER MY POLICY MAX. AND THIS WAS THE OTHER GUYS FAULT!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
I agree, ive had windshields replaced, (not on the bimmmer :) ), and tires slashed, and my insur did not go up...better go somewhere else........

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree about the CA limits...

Minimum liability limits in CA are only 15/30/5K. This is incredibly low... Obviously you have to go with what you can afford, but I would suggest at least 100/300/50. If you are leasing, 100/300/50 is the mimimum required. Also, if you own property, it's a good idea, to have, at the very least, 100/300/50. Better yet 250/500/250 or 500 CSL (combined single limit) with an umbrella policy.

It sucks having to pay out that premium every month, but you'll be glad you did when that accident happens.

*stepping off soapbox*

Jennifer
:)

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
I got off lucky I guess

Fortunately, things will probably get resolved with the guy taking the policy max my insurance company is offering (that way they also do not run the risk of fighting and losing).

When my insurance company told me how this was all going to play out, the next question for me was "how will this affect my rate?" Even though my insurance company (thanks to the wacky Ca. legal system) will pay out, the accident is considered a 'not at fault' for me and my rates will not go up! :yikes: I know, I'm shocked but hopefully that means I've got a pretty good insurance company.

That is sound advice Jennifer on the coverages and that's the first thing I did - up my coverages. It takes very little in the way of Hospital care to exceed low coverage these days.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Question

Why do you people talk about you insurance good or bad but never mention the company name so we could all benifit from your experiences.
Thank you
vern

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Seems to me that if I opt to pay for a windshield replacement or paint etc it should make the insurance company very happy! Maybe I'm making too much sense

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
Re: Question

vern said:
Why do you people talk about you insurance good or bad but never mention the company name so we could all benifit from your experiences.
Thank you
vern
Oh, sorry about that. I'm with Nationwide. They've given me good rates on my BMWs when I have them classified as 'recreational / weekend use' vehicles.

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
In the future, simply don't notify the insurance company at all. Go to a body shop that you trust, obtain an estimate (most places do it for free anyhow) and decide from there whether or not to notify the ins. company.

·
Registered
217 Posts
In the future, simply don't notify the insurance company at all. Go to a body shop that you trust, obtain an estimate (most places do it for free anyhow) and decide from there whether or not to notify the ins. company.
what's the reasonable time before you notify the insurance company? let's say you got into a small accident that involved only your car and not sure if you should report it or not before you take your car into the bodyshop for estimate....is the ins.comp. going to question the time of the accident and the time you report it if, let's say, over a week or so?

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
thumbnail said:
what's the reasonable time before you notify the insurance company? let's say you got into a small accident that involved only your car and not sure if you should report it or not before you take your car into the bodyshop for estimate....is the ins.comp. going to question the time of the accident and the time you report it if, let's say, over a week or so?
I think it depends on your ins. company, but as long as you get a police report you should be ok. It may also vary state to state. Then again you could always lie. :angel:

·
Registered
979 Posts
Jennifer,

Thanks for the detailed info, much appreciated.

Having come from Europe, I still can't believe the proportion of the premium that goes towards all this liability BS.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts