BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Slacker Extraordinaire
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I am getting ready to take delivery of my 325i, I have to deal with that all-important matter of purchasing automobile insurance.

I have narrowed my choices between Geico and Progressive, and was wondering if any forum members (or their friends, relatives, etc.) had any experience, both good and bad, with those companies.

Any other suggestions are, of course, welcome.

Thanks in advance.

(By the way, this vehicle will be used to travel all over the United States for business, and will need a company that can insure it nationwide).

G

·
GEICO is evil. Seriously equivalent to selling your soul to Satan. Even if it's a few dollars cheaper, in the long run, you WILL regret going with GEICO.

May you NEVER have a claim, your fault or not.

They buy radar and laser guns for police departments in areas with large concentrations of GEICO policyholders. They drop policyholders caught using radaar detectors. Basically, they are very anti-motorist.

Hell, I found an entire website dedicated to how badly they suck.

http://www.geicodirectsucks.com/

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
TD said:
GEICO is evil. Seriously equivalent to selling your soul to Satan. Even if it's a few dollars cheaper, in the long run, you WILL regret going with GEICO.

Interesting response TD especially based on your recent stance on some topics:confused:

I do agree however to avoid GEICO.

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
I had progressive for about 8 years and they were a very good insurance company. Anytime I had an accident, theft, claim, etc., they were there the next day (even on a Sunday) to get the ball rolling. I would usually have a check within a few days after that. If their settlement check wasn't enough, they would always work with me/shop to do the right and fair thing.

I did not keep Progressive for my current car. There rates were $500/yr higher than the company I went with (Amica). I don't know how good Amica is with claims, but the $500 is worth it (as long as I stay accident/claim free). :D

If you need any other info, let me know.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
It doesn't hurt to try Allstate. When I had them as my carrier, they paid every claim without a peep. Initially their prices were above average, but they have some sort of customer loyalty program where the longer you stay with them, the larger the insurance discount.

At the end of my Z3 ownership I was paying ~$650 (that's $325 per premium) a year for a saucy little sports car...At the time I've been with Allstate for over 10 years.

It doesn't hurt to have multiple policies under the same insurance agent too.

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
TD said:

It's a figure of speech, of course. :flipoff: :p
Oh my God for a minute I didn't know what to think:yikes:

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Ditto TD's comments about GEICO. In my 16 years of driving I've had three carriers. Firemans' Fund, State Farm and MetLife. FF tried to cancel me when my parents added me to their policy when I got my learners permit at 15 and every six months after that (at renewal time) until I was 17. All it took was my pop saying that he was going to appeal to the state insurance commissioner for them to back off. When I was nearly 18, the rate on the policy dropped by about 25% with no explanation. This was the first renewal after my first strike...I totalled a car and some guardrails which, together, cost them roughly $20k (in 1988 dollars).

Next up was State Farm. I had them from ages 19-29. In that time I had three claims. Twice I had stero stuff ripped off and windows broken. They were quick and helpful with those claims and did not increase my premiums thereafter. A year before that, though, my car was stolen and recovered while I was visiting Boston. My dealings with the local adjusters in Boston was like pulling teeth...very unpleasant.

For the past three years, my wife and I have been with MetLife. No claims, so I can't comment on that part...and that may well be the most important part. The rates that they charge us here in MD and what they charged us in Los Angeles have been very, very good though.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I use Metropolitan (MetLife) and think they're great. I did have to use insurance once back in 02/00 (my former A4 got hit in a mall), and Metropolitan handled it very nicely...

Just in case you want to check'em out: 1-800-GETMET1.

·
Gone Motoring!
2,025 Posts
TD said:

They buy radar and laser guns for police departments in areas with large concentrations of GEICO policyholders. They drop policyholders caught using radaar detectors. Basically, they are very anti-motorist.

Hell, I found an entire website dedicated to how badly they suck.

http://www.geicodirectsucks.com/
Yup, Geico sucks! TD and other oldtimers probably can recall my anti-geico thread at the ORG after a deer hit 10 hrs post-delivery...

STAY AWAY FROM GEICO AND PROGRESSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--Andrew

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
Assuming all goes well, I only have 3 more years until I receive guaranteed renewal from State Farm. For “mutual” policy holders State Farm gives you guaranteed renewal if you keep your policy for 10 years. Basically this means that they will not cancel me or increase my rate based on driving convictions or accidents. I think they may be able to give me a short term surcharge for accidents, but that is about it. Honestly, I think I may break the land speed barrier with the bimmer when I know my insurance will not go up.

These “mutual” policies could pretty much be acquired by any ticket/accident free driver a few years ago. They are for low risk drivers (households) and have the lowest rates that State Farm offers. I have heard (my dad is an agent in FL) they are now almost impossible to acquire because the underwriters have increased the requirements.

If you can get a mutual policy from State Farm, I am sure it is the best.

Yes, like TD said GEICO is evil and they really do buy RADAR and LASER's for police depts.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I have State Farm. Never had any problems and only one claim. I was actually hit by a person with SF. I took my car to a service first shop and never had to do any paper work. I get a discount because I have been with them for so long. Also I have renters with them as well so I get a 5% auto discount.

·
Slacker Extraordinaire
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To those who took the time and energy to reply to my inquiry, I just wanted to say, "Thanks". :thumbup:

You guys give some good advice on these matters, as well as willingly sharing valuable automotive knowledge to those like myself who are not very familiar with E46's.

I now have some other companies to consider, and after surfing that "Geico sucks" web site (Thanks TD), it's a pretty safe bet that I'm going to stay away from them. Far away. :tsk:

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I used Geico years ago and they sucked then.
Have state farm for my 65 vette and house- they are ok to deal with. Had them for my regular cars and did not like my local office so I switched to Progressive. They have since shut down the office.

I now use progressive on my 2 regular cars and my boat- I like them quite a bit and they were a heck of a lot cheaper than all the others. I think I pay $612 per year for the 02 330xi. State Farm wanted a lot more.

Good luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts