Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am shopping around for insurance quotes for my new 325xi I will be picking up in a couple of weeks.

Two quotes that I received had an additional option - for maintenance upto 100K/7years (for NON-regular-wear and tear parts:dunno: ) for $80 annually. I have a couple of questions about this -

Is this worth it? How is this different from the extended warranty? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
322 Posts
BMWn00b said:
I am shopping around for insurance quotes for my new 325xi I will be picking up in a couple of weeks.

Two quotes that I received had an additional option - for maintenance upto 100K/7years (for NON-regular-wear and tear parts:dunno: ) for $80 annually. I have a couple of questions about this -

Is this worth it? How is this different from the extended warranty? Thanks in advance.
I think this warranty is typically referred to as Mechanical Breakdown Insurance. An MBI is an actual insurance policy. The insurance company will pay for the cost of repairs minus a deductable. An extended warranty is a service contract that only covers items specified in the contract. Personally, I think MBI is a better value than an extended warranty. Also, you should be able to get an MBI policy from any insurance source at any time. You don't have to go through your regular insurance provider.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AG said:
I think this warranty is typically referred to as Mechanical Breakdown Insurance. An MBI is an actual insurance policy. The insurance company will pay for the cost of repairs minus a deductable. An extended warranty is a service contract that only covers items specified in the contract. Personally, I think MBI is a better value than an extended warranty. Also, you should be able to get an MBI policy from any insurance source at any time. You don't have to go through your regular insurance provider.
That was very clear. Thanks a lot:thumbup:

I will probably go for it, given that I am somewhat risk-averse. I will try to compare the deductibles/rates before I decide on one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts