BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
John Voight's BMW
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wanted to share some information for others benefit. I realize lots of threads out there recommending OE/OEM windshield replacements, but thought this may be useful.

My insurance company has a relationship with Safelite for their "preferred provider" and they make it really easy to just use them versus going out on your own. However, I have the right to choose my own repair shop and I'm glad I did.

1. Ultimately the most important thing for a repair is the tech doing the work, so before you go to ANY shop, make sure you know the experience level of the tech doing the work. When I spoke to my indy shop, they gave me the name of their glass guy and discussed his experience. I could even call him directly if I wanted to. Even dealers will sub out their glass work, so make sure to ask. The problem I have with a national chain doing the work, is that Safelite gave me the run around and wouldn't let me talk with the actual tech who was going to do the work.. bla bla they're all certified, trained, etc. But a 19 year old kid who just got trained and has done 9 jobs is different than a 45 year old dude who has been replacing glass for 20 years.

2. You may have to pay more than just your deductible if you choose your own shop. The way this works is that your insurance company has local stats, prices, etc. for what it "should" cost in your area based on repair shop prices for parts and labor, etc. For example, Safelite may be able to do the work for $180, the "what it should cost price" in my area may be $320, and the shop I want to go to my charge a customer $390 out the door if they came in without insurance. In this case, if my preferred shop wants my business, then they will need to agree to take a $70 haircut. That is why it helps to find 2-3 indy shops in your area so hopefully you can find one that will accept the insurance payment or get close.

3. Here is a short list of preferred windshield manufacturers that are worth getting for BMW. Note that most Safelite windshields are manufactured by XYG (Xingyi Glass Company), cheap junk! It took me 30 minutes on the phone with Safelite to get them to tell me the manufacturer of the windshield they were going to put in. Just google "XYG" and you'll see pages of complaints and issues.

Recommended (in random order):
Pilkington
St. Gobain
Sekurit
Sigla
PPG

·
Registered
100 Posts
Pilkington makes excellent glass / spall shields.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Thanks, very useful information!

What a shock that once again the Chinese make cheap chinese crap!

Never buy, get or use any Chinese car part on a car that you want to drive out of your garage. This means you eBay users!
If a name brand manufacturer produces parts in China while supervising qualty, that's a different story.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.