BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered Weapon
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, hello to everyone here. I've been reading these forums since I waS in high school but am just now a member.

Secondly, I've got some questions about my E34's capabilities. It has room and wiring for a car phone, and my questions are a) would one still work and b) where would I get one?

With regard to the former--I talked to a fellow from Yugoslavia recently and he informed me that the EU has been using GSM technology since the 80s, so it wouldn't be a problem to use. Having never lived in Europe, I don't know whether or not to believe him.

Any input would be useful. Thanks!!:)

·
Registered
494 Posts
Nope. The phones that came with these cars were not the latest technology to begin with so they were all analog. I think there was a company somewhere making new phones that look like the old ones that came with the cars.

·
Manualaholic
1,855 Posts
Quite a few cars were equipped with the phone in the center console, however when cell phones became way more practical the use of the car phone very quickly declined.
When I bought my car from the PO with the phone installed, he said he had never used it and didn't know if it still worked. If you find out that it will indeed work in your car, I can get you the phone, microphone, all the wiring and such (even a center console with a notch cut out for the phone cord! [hope you have parchment interior]).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.