BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
About an hour ago, as I was in my Cayman S waiting in line to take an on-ramp to an on-ramp (from CA 92 E to 880 N), a red 335i Coupe pulled in line ahead of me after a merging off-ramp to my right. So the E92 was at an angle, and I got the evil 3/4 left rear view of it. What beautiful lines!

Then I got to watch the E92 slowly descend the decreasing radius first on-ramp, and really check out the dimensionality of its exterior design. You know, there is nothing like seeing a car in motion on the road to get a true sense of its aesthetic character.

After finally merging onto the highway (it was a merge-fest!), I ended up passing the E92 on its left. As I did, I enthusiastically gave its driver a big thumbs up. I'm not sure if he saw me, but he did pull in behind me a bit later. I think it was just so he and his passenger could get a look at the Cayman, since they exited soon after. The view of the E92 in my rear view mirror, its eyes blazing, was impressive.

For me, there were two themes in this encounter:

First, it was gratifying to make a spontaneous, sincere gesture of good will to someone driving a different species of sports car. It's rare for me to get a greeting from other Porsche drivers on the road (partly because there are too many around here, but partly because too many are too stuck up), so it was refreshing to get into the essence of the pursuit; the love of automobiles and the road, rather than brand loyalty.

Second, though I was at first set to order a MY08 335xi Sedan, on learning that a MY08 335xi Coupe was available for the U.S., I am (ahem) adapting my plans accordingly. It's still speculative, but right now there's as good a chance of me getting the Coupe as the Sedan. I was committed to having xDrive and the greater engine power, so the MY07 E92 Coupes weren't an option. The 335xi Coupe will address two issues I had: 1. Colors. I wanted Space Gray paint (badly) and the Poplar Gray Wood interior trim. 2. Sport. Though I've yet to test drive an E92, I believe the experience will be somewhat closer to the sport end of the sport/practicality scale.

To the red E92 driver, Thank You!

Snaxster

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
You better be getting Coral or Saddle with that Space ;)

Nice anecdote. Thanks for sharing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts