BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, been a while since I've been on here. Thanks, college. Anyways, I have a weird problem with my door on my 97 328is. When you normally close the door, the window should slide up and seal it closed, but lately mine hasn't been doing that. I will close the door, and it will slide up like its sealing correctly, but than it drops down that half inch and stays there. The interior lights all turn on, thinking the door is open. The other side is fine, though, and if I push in the switch on the door frame that seals the window, it will go up and stay up, but I obviously can't do that while driving. The only way I can get it to close the right way is to very softly close the door (to where it wont open, just not closed all the way), than give the door a shove from the outside to close it all the way. That way the window stays up (unless I hit a pot hole and/or person, than the window slides down again and the "door open" light tuns on.
Are the door hinges going out, making the door sag a little bit? I'm not really sure what to check for, but I dont think its the switch, because I can activate it EVERY time when I just use my finger (thats what she said). Any ideas?:dunno:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Common door problem

Hey guys, been a while since I've been on here. Thanks, college. Anyways, I have a weird problem with my door on my 97 328is. When you normally close the door, the window should slide up and seal it closed, but lately mine hasn't been doing that.
From what I have read on here this is likely to be the door microswitch not being triggered correctly.

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
Yeah, it's the microswitch. Very common failure item, not too bad to replace. A quick search would have shown that.

PS, your sig is about 8 times too big.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, it's the microswitch. Very common failure item, not too bad to replace. A quick search would have shown that.

PS, your sig is about 8 times too big.
But why can I trigger it on command with a screwdriver or my finger? I wonder if its possible to spray out the switch with electrical contact cleaner. If I try that, I'll let ya know how it goes. I just didn't suspect a bad switch because of how easy it is to trigger it, without the door.

And sorry about the sig, I just changed it and I suppose I forgot to test it first. I'll play around with it more later.

Philip, I like what you did to it! I might take it. And were you still curious about getting into Paramedic/EMS? Or was that someone else?

·
Turn Burglar
12,282 Posts
Philip, I like what you did to it! I might take it. And were you still curious about getting into Paramedic/EMS? Or was that someone else?
That was me, and I'm going to school currently. Actually have my first final in the morning.

If you're having trouble with the sigpic (I notice that your sig has disappeared) just cope/paste this link into your sig, but pit tags around it.

[url]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee86/philipwot/ZachSig.png[/url]

·
Under the lift arms
13,045 Posts
A quick search, Gives you nothing... except a bunch of stuff that's not relvent to a micro switch....

How about a part number.

replace your door stiker... thats what makes your window drop down and pop up when the door handle is used... your year doesn't have a micro switch

·
Registered
544 Posts
easy/cheap fix

ok well i temp fixed mine due to beign lazy.

i got some ribbon cable ( really small side by side cables) and rapped it around the catch tightly taping it.

its a temp fix but i was sick of it.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a similar prob. but when i push switch in with my finger it still doesn't do anything. 1994 325is the former owner had the door panel off and was prob. investigating, soooo i dont know what might be wrong. thanks for help

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey I remember posting this. Good times. ....sorta...

i have a similar prob. but when i push switch in with my finger it still doesn't do anything. 1994 325is the former owner had the door panel off and was prob. investigating, soooo i dont know what might be wrong. thanks for help
If using the finger isn't working (haha), I suspect the whole switch is bad? I have actually resorted to placing 1/4" medical tape across the strip, and it works for a month or two until I have to replace the tape. So lazy, so easy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts