BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Fix the front end and dump I-drive. As good as this looks, they still ruin it.

·
aka Chi-chi
197 Posts
Please don't shoot me...

But I think Bangle will go down in history as a genius. Yep, you heard it here first. Maybe I've gone "loopy."

While bimmer fans are screaming and whining about the e65, all I hear from everyone else is oooing and ahhhing. I was in a showroom last week, and everyone who walked through the door was drooling over the e65. I am beginning to change my mind.

And the i-Drive? Grandpa and grandma need to move into the 21st century. If you can't use a mouse or a computer, you need to pass into eternity, 'cause the future is now. :p

·
Car Junkie
3,390 Posts
I don't know about genius. But I will say that in darker colors, I can accept the weird shoulder hump in the rear. Maybe because it hides some of the curve, but I do like it. God, I never thought I'd say that.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Re: Please don't shoot me...

Cruzer said:
But I think Bangle will go down in history as a genius. Yep, you heard it here first. Maybe I've gone "loopy."

While bimmer fans are screaming and whining about the e65, all I hear from everyone else is oooing and ahhhing. I was in a showroom last week, and everyone who walked through the door was drooling over the e65. I am beginning to change my mind.

And the i-Drive? Grandpa and grandma need to move into the 21st century. If you can't use a mouse or a computer, you need to pass into eternity, 'cause the future is now. :p
Bangle will be noted as a great car designer. Because while everyone is stuck on designs and styling cues from 10-15 years ago, he is producing cars that make everyone look. And take a second look too. Die hard BMW fans can't accept change. Any die hard car fan can't accept change from their favorite body style. But in order to bring in new buyers you can't produce the same old stuff you did 10 years ago.

Just look what happened to ford when they changed the mustang to the 94-98 body style. Everyone what like WTF, this isn't my old fox body style mustang GT. Then again in 99 when the new body style came out. Everyone once again was like WTF this edgy looked aint gonna fly for too long. And not try and picture a mustang that isn't the new '99 and up body style. And no matter how bad the GM twins kick the mustangs a$$ in performance, the mustang still out sold them put together 3 to 1.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Re: Re: Please don't shoot me...

OJ330i said:

Bangle will be noted as a great car designer. Because while everyone is stuck on designs and styling cues from 10-15 years ago, he is producing cars that make everyone look. And take a second look too. Die hard BMW fans can't accept change. Any die hard car fan can't accept change from their favorite body style. But in order to bring in new buyers you can't produce the same old stuff you did 10 years ago.

Sorry, but I completely disagree re: Bangle. Granted, there is nothing wrong with pushing the styling envelope, as long as your designs are cohesive and attractive. Unfortunately, the E65 is neither. While I am starting to get used to the droopy headlights, the rear end is an abomination - it simply is ugly, and it does not match the other 3/4 of the body. People who are knowledgable about car design are taking a look at the E65, shaking their head, and laughing. It is an extremely ugly vehicle.

·
aka Chi-chi
197 Posts
Sorry, but "people knowledgeable about design"...

...fortunately don't buy the most cars, and don't even have a say in what other consumers like and buy. There are two types of bold designs: "bold, smart" and "bold, stupid". Ultimately, what determines "bold, smart" is when the caviar-eating designer crowd doesn't like it, but the market does. :(

Being an engineer, I usually could give fart what the outside looks like. And, I personally think Bangle is a fruit-loop (based on his comments on my 5-series owner's intro CD) and the way he dresses. He ought to try some kakis and a blue, cotton, button-down shirt, d*mmit.

Anyway, I respect your opinion, but I think people (REAL BUYERS) will continue voting with their feet, and the car will ultimately prove to be worthy of the badge. I am troubled that the engineers have screwed-up some of the systems, but I'm hopeful that too will come to pass (as is usual with BMW electronics).

PS: I'm just having fun here. Don't take me too seriously.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Like i said at hte .org, the only thing i dont like about the above car is the ivory interior. Its too light. Other than that, the car looks fabulous.

Ive always been a fan of this design. I dont think Bangle is a god, i think hes a looney. IMO, the rear deck needs to be lowered and the front, especially the headlights, needs to be more sculpted. If BMW would continue with similar styles, personally i wouldnt be worried. Its some of the prelim sketches and designs of cars like the 6, Z9, and the X coupe that i hope never make it to production.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts