BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I turn off the car and get out, about 3 or 4 seconds later I hear a short, distinct sound coming from the rear of the car. It is like the sound of a metallic lever moving - that slight metal and squeak sound.
Any ideas what it may be? My only guesses would be something to do with the trunk latch or the gas filler door.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,318 Posts
It`s more than likely your e-brake cable/bracket....try getting out of the car with the e-brake off and see if that "cures" the noise... (they all do it)

Regards,
Bob

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since it is a steptronic, I usually don't set the e-brake unless I'm on a hill. It doesn't set the brake automatically does it? The car does so much it wouldn't suprise me it if did.

The odd thing is that it happens around 3 or 4 seconds after I shut off the car, get out and lock it. It gives me enough time to walk out towards the rear of the car and hear it as I walk by.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's probably that exhaust valve thingy...go look in the exhaust pipe, there should be a little disc on a verticle axle about 6 inches in, inside one of the pipes. Mine opens about 3-4 seconds after turning off the car and makes the exact sound you describe.

mjb

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll have to check that out. Do you know what it is for?
Thanks.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,318 Posts
dood said:
Since it is a steptronic, I usually don't set the e-brake unless I'm on a hill. It doesn't set the brake automatically does it? The car does so much it wouldn't suprise me it if did.

The odd thing is that it happens around 3 or 4 seconds after I shut off the car, get out and lock it. It gives me enough time to walk out towards the rear of the car and hear it as I walk by.
BAD practice, dood....they don`t call it *the parking brake* for nothing! Correct procedure is to stop the car, engage the e-brake(parking brake), release pressure on the brake pedal, THEN engage Park. With your method, the entire weight of the car is being held by the "park tang" in the trans....a piece of metal *maybe* the size of your pinky. On this forum, you will read about people saying it`s hard to shift out of Park, and then they get a CLUNK as the trans goes into gear....most of this can be avoided by following the above procedure.

Regards,
Bob

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Exhaust silencer? Interesting.
When it closes does it negatively affect vehicle performance?

That must be what the little vacuum line thingy is on top of one of the two tailpipes.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fast Bob said:
BAD practice, dood....they don`t call it *the parking brake* for nothing! Correct procedure is to stop the car, engage the e-brake(parking brake), release pressure on the brake pedal, THEN engage Park. With your method, the entire weight of the car is being held by the "park tang" in the trans....a piece of metal *maybe* the size of your pinky. On this forum, you will read about people saying it`s hard to shift out of Park, and then they get a CLUNK as the trans goes into gear....most of this can be avoided by following the above procedure.

Regards,
Bob
Yeah I know you're right Fast Bob. I guess I've become lazy since I haven't had a stick in a few years now. I'm not a big automatic fan, but the wife can't drive a stick.

BTW, any particular dealers that you would recommend for service in NW NJ?

·
Keeping it surreal
43,318 Posts
dood said:
Yeah I know you're right Fast Bob. I guess I've become lazy since I haven't had a stick in a few years now. I'm not a big automatic fan, but the wife can't drive a stick.

BTW, any particular dealers that you would recommend for service in NW NJ?
I purchased my last 3 cars from Hunterdon BMW in Lebanon....they`re a small dealer, decent service dep`t.

Regards,
Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts