BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Living a dream!
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks as thought they are priced similar. (it comes up in the video)

All in german, but it sure is fun watching them drift those cars :thumbup:

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Great video, I have in my archives. :)

Same car with totally different engine charasteristics. While the M6 sounds like an philarmonic orchestra, the Alpina is more like a small chamber orchestra. Both are evil fast, where the Alpina is more comfort oriented (due to its special designed suspension system) and easier to cope with on a daily basis, the M6 on the other hand is more like a 'race' car, which needs to be pushed hard to be enjoyed.

If I were in the market of such a car, Alpina would definitely be my choice, alone the torque and the exclusivity would be my top criterias.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
I read somewhere that the B6 is just missing a limited slip differential, and that if it had the device, it would likely be faster than the M6. But, trying not to encroach on M6 customer base, Alpina designed the car without it.

·
"Clunker" *****
4,684 Posts
I read somewhere that the B6 is just missing a limited slip differential, and that if it had the device, it would likely be faster than the M6. But, trying not to encroach on M6 customer base, Alpina designed the car without it.
The things you hear.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
LSD is optional for the B5, I don't know about the B6 though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I believe it is standard on the B6, that is why it is not in the options list. When the B6 was released the LSD became an option on the B5.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
I believe it is standard on the B6, that is why it is not in the options list. When the B6 was released the LSD became an option on the B5.
OK, I managed to find the german price list and option catalogue. It's standard on the Coupe, but optional on the Cabriolet.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
So, Alex, what does the vid say? I haven't spoken german in 10+ years. Can only understand about 5% of the video.
The guy with the glasses is Andreas Bovensiepen, the son of Burkhard Bovensiepen, the founder of Alpina. He's fully involved in the development of every model that Alpina is creating.

He isn't actually telling anything that hasn't been said and written in the media. He's explaining the engine concept of both cars, M6 having a V10 NA high-rev engine, where Alpina going the supercharged V8 way, reaching its peak power at a lot lower RPM than the M6. This engine characteristics is favoring Alpina's accelaration performance over the M6, as can be seen in the video.

He's also telling the philosophical differences between the two concepts, Alpina being more close to the real GT genre, where the driver can cover long distances fast and in a more relaxed way (due to lower RPM character of its engine), where the M6 on the other hand is also very fast, but needs to be pushed beyond 7000 RPM to be fully benefit from the full power range. This is making the M6 thirstier than the B6*

He's also praising Alpina's attention for the interior details (which I can attest), telling how much Alpina customers love the touch of exclusivity.

* It can certainly be argued, whether a discussion over fuel consumption in this price range would make a sense, but, being almost 'the same' car, I'd feel comfortable knowing that one is more environmental friendly and as fast as the other, if not faster.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Call me dumb

But what is so great about Alpina? I know Alex is a fan of them, but what do they have that an ordinary BMW doesn't?

·
Registered
68 Posts
They are an alternative to the M cars, alot more refined, usually the same sort of performance but delivered in a completely different way, rather than having to rev the nuts off it to get anywhere all the torque is low down and you have power on tap all the time compared to the M's which need to be revved hard to get the most out of them.

The interiors are usually to die for, very luxurious materials used and a real sense of occasion everytime you get in it.

The gearbox is normally their swithtronic system, uses the BMW step box but with new software for quick seemless changes and a very relaxed drive.

The handling is completely different, the M is usually very stiff and quite twitchy, where as the Alpina although firm is very compliant, the way it soaks up the uneven roads and at the same time holds a cormer the way it does is astonishing, the B5 with its 19" rims feels more like an S class at times, but then when you push on it handles like a dream.

Because they tend to favour forced induction the consumption can be very impressive, I managed 14mpg from my M5 test drive, and get 23mpg from the B5, on a run it was showing 28mpg, at $8 a litre over here that is a big bonus!

The B5 is a luxury cruiser that is extremely rapid, the M5 is a luxury sedan that has a more sporty edge, I would guess 90% of drivers could cover more ground quicker in the B5, you never really feel the B5 is on the edge like the M5 can at times.

Both awesome and I would love either, the new B3 is seriously tempting!

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Wow.

They are an alternative to the M cars, alot more refined, usually the same sort of performance but delivered in a completely different way, rather than having to rev the nuts off it to get anywhere all the torque is low down and you have power on tap all the time compared to the M's which need to be revved hard to get the most out of them.

The interiors are usually to die for, very luxurious materials used and a real sense of occasion everytime you get in it.

The gearbox is normally their swithtronic system, uses the BMW step box but with new software for quick seemless changes and a very relaxed drive.

The handling is completely different, the M is usually very stiff and quite twitchy, where as the Alpina although firm is very compliant, the way it soaks up the uneven roads and at the same time holds a cormer the way it does is astonishing, the B5 with its 19" rims feels more like an S class at times, but then when you push on it handles like a dream.

Because they tend to favour forced induction the consumption can be very impressive, I managed 14mpg from my M5 test drive, and get 23mpg from the B5, on a run it was showing 28mpg, at $8 a litre over here that is a big bonus!

The B5 is a luxury cruiser that is extremely rapid, the M5 is a luxury sedan that has a more sporty edge, I would guess 90% of drivers could cover more ground quicker in the B5, you never really feel the B5 is on the edge like the M5 can at times.

Both awesome and I would love either, the new B3 is seriously tempting!
Thanx for taking the time to explain it to me.:thumbup:

I also love them both, especially after watching that video.:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts