BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '02 S54, Steel Grey with black interior. The black is nice, but a little bland. What color interior accents do you think would look decent with Steel Grey? The first choices would be a lighter grey or red. But...my favorite interior combination of all time is the black with blue Alcantara on the current and past Audi S4's.

I love the Leather Z stuff--shift boot, parking brake boot, hockey sticks, armrests. However, my concern is that with the black interior, these pieces will just look "tacked on" if the seats are also not two-tone. The ultimate goal would be for someone to never know that it didn't come that way from the factory if they didn't know the car.

Thanks for any opinions.

John

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
I almost took the LeatherZ route, and my car is AgTi with a black interior. I must have ordered 100 samples of leather from Spinneybeck. I tried reds, grays, blues, teals, pinks, yellows... you name it. In the end I thought Marissa Black was the obvious way to go. Unless you do additional parts (seats, dash, console, etc.), just IMO, different colors in the LeatherZ parts do look tacked on.

·
The Anti-Rice
5,394 Posts
True, but if your car is two tone to begin with, Jon and Andy can match the accent color perfectly. I was amazed.

·
Registered ABUSER!
362 Posts
JohnS54Coupe said:
I have an '02 S54, Steel Grey with black interior. The black is nice, but a little bland. What color interior accents do you think would look decent with Steel Grey? The first choices would be a lighter grey or red.
John
If I had SG w/an all black interior but wanted a new look in keeping with stock appearance, grey carpet comes to mind. You could tie it all together with LZ accents too. The advantage of new carpet is that you could eliminate the hump without the saggy tit look and perhaps add some sound deadening while you're at it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Mpire said:
True, but if your car is two tone to begin with, Jon and Andy can match the accent color perfectly. I was amazed.
Agreed. Two-tone is a different animal. Taking an all-black interior scheme to a two-tone scheme just takes more than the LeatherZ offerings to not look tacked on, IMO. Actually, during the investigation process I became quite enamored with the hand of Marissa Black leather, and looked into additional door, seat and/or dash work, but the cost looked like more than I felt I was willing to invest. One thing is for sure, quality leather nicely stitched attracts me like a bee to honey. In fact, unfortunately for my finances, high quality, well-made just-about-anything attracts me. :)

·
Premium Member
4,073 Posts
With steel gray and all-black interior, I would look to the reds for accent colors. Just my personal choice.

If you can afford it, there are all-Imola (not 2-tone) BMW Individual seats in the EPC. There are also Individual seats that are inverted from the stock M Imola/Black seats (opposites). You could buy the covers from BMW and recover your seats. It would be easy to re-sell your all-blacks. Would cost about $2000 for the seats. You could do the recover work yourself or have a shop do it in about an hour. You could add accents and do the door panels any way you wanted.

Good upholstery work is never inexpensive. But you will end up with a one-of-a-kind and you can get exactly what you want.

·
Crazy Canadian
1,095 Posts
mng said:
another option is black alcantara. different look and feel than black leather...shift knob, boots, MkI armrest, steering wheel....
I would love to recover my steering wheel with alcantara and to add a little more thickness to it. I'm afraid of what it would cost though!

·
1,421 Posts
bol said:
I would love to recover my steering wheel with alcantara and to add a little more thickness to it. I'm afraid of what it would cost though!
@ $400 for LZ to do it.

Alan Gunn will do it too (for less)...i think Ron was scoping out his quality of work (dunnow what's happened with that...). from what i've read, it can be questionable. i have no personal experience with him.

·
Crazy Canadian
1,095 Posts
mng said:
@ $400 for LZ to do it.

Alan Gunn will do it too (for less)...i think Ron was scoping out his quality of work (dunnow what's happened with that...). from what i've read, it can be questionable. i have no personal experience with him.
I guess that's not too bad. I don't want a non OEM steering wheel so there really any other options. Cheaper than installing the M3 ZCP wheel - that's for sure!

·
358 Posts
JohnS54Coupe said:
What color interior accents do you think would look decent
uuuhhh... leather talk...ooooo [ Homer ]

I like your idea of the "punched up" blue. The right blue will be hard to find. I prefer BMW Nappa or Spinneybeck Marrisa or Sabrina leather.. only (for their hand, but also because they are thoroughly tested automotive leathers). BMW doesn't make a bright blue like your picture. I'd have to pull out my Spinneybeck binder to see if they have the right blue. If memory serves.. they do. I know for sure they have a killer blue, but in their suede finished leathers. A single Spinneybeck hide should cover it (arr... arrr.. "cover it"). That'd be enough for both of the seats and the door panels, plus any extras (MK1, steering wheel tabs, shift and e-brake boot, all from LZ).

Red would be a way cool color. I'm gonna get smacked for this :slap: , and I deserve it (grins), but BMW Nappa Imola Red has a tad too much burgundy in it for me. Nappa Dream Red is not my favorite red either. Again... I'd have to check the Spinneybeck binder. Red is a beatch to get right. Toughest color there is.

Have you considered going with Nappa walnut? Like Jon said, you could buy the seat covers from BMW. aaahh, but wait. Are the M seats shaped a little differently than the Z3 seats? I think they are. Jon would know, as he swapped walnut stuff with his bro as I recall. But, you could still buy Nappa Walnut hides from BMW. It would take two. But this would all be the same price as Spinneybeck hides. (BMW hides are really half hides, and go for around $300 plus. Spinneybeck hides are full hides, and go for around $600 - $700, tho it depends on which leather you get).

I would encourage you to stick with your vision of getting it completely done. No matter what color you choose. Redo the seats. Solid or two tone.. either way would look cool. Then redo the door panel inserts. I'm doing this right now with the Roadster and am nearing completion. Dream Red (my wife's choice, as it is her car). Two BMW half hides, $600. Reupholstery labor $800 for the two seats, $100 for the two sets of door panels.

To get an idea of what blue would look like in a Z car, check out the Z3 pics on this NW Auto Leather web site... http://www.nwautoleather.com/bmw/
If you contact them, they can send you larger, higher res shots of that car. I didn't go with them, because they only have one set of patterns for one variation of the Z seats. There are at least 3 variations, possibly 4. They didn't want to futz with making a pattern for my '01 Roadster until this summer. Don't they know... winter is the time for mods! :thumbup:

- Bill

·
Premium Member
4,073 Posts
TurnAround said:
Have you considered going with Nappa walnut? Like Jon said, you could buy the seat covers from BMW. aaahh, but wait. Are the M seats shaped a little differently than the Z3 seats? I think they are.
The pads have different part numbers.

That said, there are many non-red Individual choices of BMW seat covers. Like Modena Natur/Black 2-tone. M only.

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
mng said:
@ $400 for LZ to do it.

I sent them a wheel last June. Several others did too. They said eight weeks. Received it the first time in August. It was a disaster (not even the wheel I sent them). Received it the second time and it was better but not the factory quality they said it would be. Alan called me in December and said that they have figured it out and I would see it in a week or so. Still waiting. If it ever gets done correctly, I will be selling it for my cost.

·
1,421 Posts
Ron Stygar said:
I sent them a wheel last June. Several others did too. They said eight weeks. Received it the first time in August. It was a disaster (not even the wheel I sent them). Received it the second time and it was better but not the factory quality they said it would be. Alan called me in December and said that they have figured it out and I would see it in a week or so. Still waiting. If it ever gets done correctly, I will be selling it for my cost.
damn, what a PIA. thanks for the update.

·
Crazy Canadian
1,095 Posts
Ron Stygar said:
Received it the second time and it was better but not the factory quality they said it would be.
Do you have any pictures of it installed in the car? I'm curious to see how it'd look.

·
Premium Member
4,073 Posts
bol said:
Do you have any pictures of it installed in the car? I'm curious to see how it'd look.
Not in a car, but pics nonetheless here

It is my theory that Ultrasuede would be a better choice than Alcantara. BMW and other mass-producers pre-form their material with high pressure and steam. An upholstery shop cannot do that since they (we) do not have dies.

Ultrasuede compared to Alcantara is: (a) a different company, (b) more black and less dark gray, (c) same color on both sides... Alcantara has a white backing which can and does show through at the seam and (d) most importantly: is stretchable. Alcantara cannot stretch which makes small wrinkles inevitable in a steering wheel. Padding helps remove them a little. They will not go away with age, so do not buy that line if someone tells you that.

The wheel we did is not perfect, but it's good enough. It feels really good too. And it can be done quickly... like 7 days.

·
1,421 Posts
JonM said:
Not in a car, but pics nonetheless here

It is my theory that Ultrasuede would be a better choice than Alcantara. BMW and other mass-producers pre-form their material with high pressure and steam. An upholstery shop cannot do that since they (we) do not have dies.

Ultrasuede compared to Alcantara is: (a) a different company, (b) more black and less dark gray, (c) same color on both sides... Alcantara has a white backing which can and does show through at the seam and (d) most importantly: is stretchable. Alcantara cannot stretch which makes small wrinkles inevitable in a steering wheel. Padding helps remove them a little. They will not go away with age, so do not buy that line if someone tells you that.

The wheel we did is not perfect, but it's good enough. It feels really good too. And it can be done quickly... like 7 days.
so what's the downside to ultrasuede? in other words, why don't you try/use it?

·
Premium Member
4,073 Posts
mng said:
so what's the downside to ultrasuede? in other words, why don't you try/use it?
We stock real Alcantara so the E46 guys do not complain about mismatched color.

Ultrasuede is cheaper and easier to work with. To date, we have never had a single complaint about an Alcantara product. So we are sticking with what works.

·
1,421 Posts
JonM said:
We stock real Alcantara so the E46 guys do not complain about mismatched color.

Ultrasuede is cheaper and easier to work with. To date, we have never had a single complaint about an Alcantara product. So we are sticking with what works.
would you do a wheel in ultrasuede if asked? any cost/durability difference (vs alcantara)?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.