Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys - my E60 528i that has been overall running well. Recently had the oil separator changed and the tech noticed that there may be some leaking from the oil pan gasket. Have this slated for repair soon but what's come up in the meantime is this strange, intermittent, smell coming from the cabin air vents that smells like burning electrical wires. It's up to date on all recalls. It so off an on but might smell it more once the car is warmed up.

Any experience, thoughts, anything jump right out at your, any words of wisdom (yes - get it looked at)?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Hi guys - my E60 528i that has been overall running well. Recently had the oil separator changed and the tech noticed that there may be some leaking from the oil pan gasket. Have this slated for repair soon but what's come up in the meantime is this strange, intermittent, smell coming from the cabin air vents that smells like burning electrical wires. It's up to date on all recalls. It so off an on but might smell it more once the car is warmed up.

Any experience, thoughts, anything jump right out at your, any words of wisdom (yes - get it looked at)?

Thanks in advance...
Might be the CCV hose heater circuit. I think there's a recall on that item. Do you have the cold weather package on your car?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm...

Hmmm... thanks and I'll have to check. We're up in here Vancouver, BC, Canada. Perhaps all the cars come with a cold weather package?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Took the 528i in yesterday to reveal oil leaking from the valve cover down onto the exhaust. Gasket being replaced etc... and we'll see if it handles the smell. To my nose the smell has been more electical but best to think "horses" instead of "Zebras" and get the obivous fixed.

All recalls up to date.

My wife still really loves this car but it's starting to cost us some money. Have considered "upgrading" to a new 3/4-series with warrenty. I find the newer 5-series to have gotten too BIG. Any thoughts on this move anyone?

Thanks.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,468 Posts
Is it paid for? Cherishing a paid for car is much less expensive than buying a new one.

We have 16 months on our X5***8217;s note, then the payments get earmarked for emergent expenses while they continue to earn interest.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Took the 528i in yesterday to reveal oil leaking from the valve cover. Gasket being replaced etc... and we'll see if it handles the smell. To my nose the smell has been more electical but but to think "horses" instead of "Zebras" and get the obivous fixed.

My wife still really loves this car but it's starting to cost us some money. Have considered "upgrading" to a new 3-series. Any thoughts on this anyone?

Thanks.
Do you have the F30 or the all new 2019 3 series G20 in mind?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it paid for? Cherishing a paid for car is much less expensive than buying a new one.

We have 16 months on our X5's note, then the payments get earmarked for emergent expenses while they continue to earn interest.
Yes, it's finally paid for with just 43,750 miles on it! Very nice not having a payment and still in very nice shape. Really haven't done too much on it other than replace the battery, the oil serpator valve and cooland hoses (dripping oil burnt through) and now the valve cover and oil pan gaskets, and a new set of Michelin Pilot's AS.

Do you have the F30 or the all new 2019 3 series G20 in mind?

F30 as I'll be looking for something in off a 3-year lease.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Yes, it's finally paid for with just 43,750 miles on it! Very nice not having a payment and still in very nice shape. Really haven't done too much on it other than replace the battery, the oil serpator valve and cooland hoses (dripping oil burnt through) and now the valve cover and oil pan gaskets, and a new set of Michelin Pilot's AS.

F30 as I'll be looking for something in off a 3-year lease.
I am currently looking at F32 and love it so far. Essentially almost same interior configuration as the F30 but a Coupe. In my opinion, it deserves attention. I have yet to take one out for a test drive but I hear good things about them. Which model are you considering?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Took the 528i in yesterday to reveal oil leaking from the valve cover down onto the exhaust. Gasket being replaced etc... I find the newer 5-series to have gotten too BIG. Any thoughts on this move anyone?

Thanks.
If you DIY you will save money but if you don't have the time/inclination/knowledge/facilities, then getting back on the merry-go-round is probably your best option.

I have noticed that BMW is going through the same bloating that all the other car makes are as well. I was in a dealer looking at an X3, to my eyes it's an X5 and the 3 series Xit is pretty much the same size as my 530Xit.

·
Registered
995 Posts

We have 16 months on our X5's note, then the payments get earmarked for emergent expenses while they continue to earn interest.
I agree on that too. Not to mention the peace of mind on the fact that there is one less parasite hooked up to the checking account.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I am currently looking at F32 and love it so far. Essentially almost same interior configuration as the F30 but a Coupe. In my opinion, it deserves attention. I have yet to take one out for a test drive but I hear good things about them. Which model are you considering?
Looking at the F36 - the 430i Gran Coupe (4-door). Again, this is my wife's car and she likes the 4-door. The wheel base on this car is 3" shorter than the E60 but it's 380 lbs porkier. Hmm...

If you DIY you will save money but if you don't have the time/inclination/knowledge/facilities, then getting back on the merry-go-round is probably your best option.

I have noticed that BMW is going through the same bloating that all the other car makes are as well. I was in a dealer looking at an X3, to my eyes it's an X5 and the 3 series Xit is pretty much the same size as my 530Xit.
Yes - the same with Porsche. Porkier, less direct steering etc... That being said the one car in the BMW line up that is deemed still a true drivers car is the M2, and now the M2 Competion. Would love to drive it but it's small and not really what my wife is interested in. She likes a larger heavier car, like the E60 or the E38 we had before.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just picked up the E60. She's running great, no further burning smell etc...

Now I've had all three major gaskets done - 1. Oil Filter Housing, 2. Valve Cover, and 3. Oil Pan.

Looking back over the last 7 years we've owned here I spent, at the dealership, just shy of $7000 USDs, so around $1000 a year above the finance costs, the fuel, insurance etc...

Now that she's paid off I leaning very much for keeping her another 50K miles.

Thanks again for all your input.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am pretty sure I have the same issue, it does smell a little electrical but I do think it is oil.
When I look underneath my pan is covered in oil (see lame video) I also see a screw missing?
I feel like I can replace the gasket myself, what do you guys think?
2008 528i.

Video: https://www.tobiasroybal.com/Other/BMW2008/n-4cwZk4/i-SBX5qN7/A

If so any tutorials Or what I should be searching for online?

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,468 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am pretty sure I have the same issue, it does smell a little electrical but I do think it is oil.
When I look underneath my pan is covered in oil (see lame video) I also see a screw missing?
I feel like I can replace the gasket myself, what do you guys think?
2008 528i.

Video: https://www.tobiasroybal.com/Other/BMW2008/n-4cwZk4/i-SBX5qN7/A

If so any tutorials Or what I should be searching for online?
Certainly, you could do the work yourself. The Oil Filter and Valve Cover gaskets are both pretty accessible. The lower oil pan, however, looking at the invoice, involved removing some structural mount for the transmission or something. Anyways, go at it!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Electrical burning smell still happening...

Hey guys - the original electrical burning smell, that I thought was handled with the replacement of the valve cover gasket is still happening. So this thread is back in play!

We'll drop off her off tomorrow at the dealership. Note: this seemed to start after the recall and replacement of the "heater control valve" (CVC Heater Hose circuit). Could it be faulty?

Thanks in advance everyone!

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,219 Posts
It is possible that there is oil left over from a previously leaking valve cover. I'd take a good look around the valve cover to make sure it is all cleaned up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It is possible that there is oil left over from a previously leaking valve cover. I'd take a good look around the valve cover to make sure it is all cleaned up.
Yes - possible as there was oil previously on the manifold from the valve cover leak. However, they assured me that it was 100% cleaned up. So it goes in tomorrow and I'll keep everyone posted!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts