BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Intermittent clutch issue

4680 Views 27 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  bugsy96
So I've been away from here for a bit, but I've come across a new and strange problem with my e36. This seems to only occur in hot sunny weather... occasionally when I go to change gears, or even from a stop, the clutch has no pressure and goes to the floor and I have to pull the pedal back up with my foot. It tends not to do this if I rev a bit before I push in the clutch. Both the master and slave have been replaced and bled and I am running Ate Super racing blue DOT 4.

I should add that it never does it in the morning or on first start-up in the afternoon and for about the first 5-10 minutes after.

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :thumbup:
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Your master cylinder is dying. Eventually it will go down and stay down no matter how much you pull it up with your foot (it will just go to the floor with no resistance every time).
Replaced the master less than a year ago with OEM. Could it be bad already?
Yes. It's just about the only thing it can be. If the slave were leaking you'd notice it under the car. The fluid is getting past the piston in the master on the first stroke. When you pull the pedal up it runs it back past the piston cup, the cup expands and seals, and the clutch works normally.

Sent from my MB860 using Bimmer App
Makes sense. Damn OEM parts. Good thing I work in a shop again and can get the parts 'cheap'. :D
I assume you made sure the fluid reservoir was full. :dunno:

Sent from my MB860 using Bimmer App
Of course. :p
Well... Going to try a new master today since the shop is kinda slow, hope it corrects the issue.
Weird. I certainly wouldn't expect a properly installed OEM part to fail in under 12 months. Let us know how it works out.
Me either. Turns out they sent the wrong part, so the stealership is overnighting me one... a discounted price at that. I live that my shop has an account with them. :D
So far so good. Both units had *** stamped on them, so the old one was clearly OEM. Odd that it failed.
Well, drove it all weekend and the past two days with no ill effects. Must have been some sort of manufacturing defect with the last one.

Funny thing, the return spring popped out while I was bleeding it, and that stupid plastic rod inside the spring broke in half. Was able to fix it with this magic adhesive/plastic welding stuff. Good as new.
I don't drive THAT hard. :/
Hey guys, I'm having the same problem, but ive been through 2 master and 2 slave cylinder replacements. After each replacement, the problem goes away for about 1 month or 2, then intermittently, will re-appear. I sometimes am able to get it to work after a few pumps, or just resting my foot on the pedal for a few minutes, but sometimes itll last longer. Is there any way this could be a clutch/component failure. My next move is to replace the clutch. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Are you using OEM parts? I ended up going to the dealer for my master cylinder.
The first set I replaced was not OEM, 2nd set is. I'm also thinking of replacing all.the various fittings and hoses, assuming there's a small rubber washer/ gasket somewhere that might be loose, explaining the intermittent behaviour. Is there anything past the slave/ in the clutch assembly like the pressure plate or any other piece that could cause this? Thanks for the quick reply.
If it were the pressure plate, it most likely would not be intermittent. Does the pedal stay down or is there no pressure and it springs back?
This^ There's no washer or gasket, but the hose itself can deteriorate internally and act like a valve, blocking return flow.
I'm also thinking of replacing all.the various fittings and hoses, assuming there's a small rubber washer/ gasket somewhere that might be loose, explaining the intermittent behaviour.
The pedal does stay down, but inly because its past the tension point of the spring, after i pull it back, there is dead air between the pedal and the master cylinder. Its as if the master cylinder is not there and im just pushing a pedal with nothing hooked up to it.
If it were the pressure plate, it most likely would not be intermittent. Does the pedal stay down or is there no pressure and it springs back?
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.