BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
ZSCCA Asheville volunteer
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi_
I've searched for my particular DSC / ABS symptoms, and have found none that match what I have been experiencing:

A few days ago, driving the 12 miles home in my 2001 Z3, small jolts in the steering felt like I was hitting little stones, but there were no stones in the road. Then the ABS light started flashing, and I couild feel the brakes hitting the rotors in extremely short bursts. After several minutes, the triangle-in-a-circle ABS/DSC light came on steady and the "brake" light came on. The owner's manual indicates that the ABS (and/or DSC) was taken out of service, that the car is safe to drive, but will need looking at. This morning, upon leaving home for work the ABS/DSC and brake lights stayed off and all appeared normal, BUT after 15 minutes' driving, the same events (as outlined above) took place. I've been advised to have the battery checked to see if voltage is good. I've noticed others found a badly-installed DSC fuse.

Anyone have this same scenario? I find the intermittent characteristic of this issue very strange. Bad modulator? Bad sensors? :dunno:

·
Glfbggy
814 Posts
Hi_
Anyone have this same scenario? I find the intermittent characteristic of this issue very strange. Bad modulator? Bad sensors? :dunno:
Have you made sure your tires are all inflated appropriately. I've found, particular for the rear that my DSC flashes a lot on hard corners if the tires are under inflated.

·
Registered
166 Posts
You probably have a failing wheel speed sensor. The trick is figuring out which one. Replacing it is a simple 10 min. job once you know which sensor. Quality sensors (don't buy cheap ones!) run around $100 - 120 so buying more than you need is expensive. Since you set a DSC/ABS light there should be a stored code in the DSC/ABS computer. Most independent shops have scan tools that can read this, and tell you which wheel caused the fault. That info. is worth the $20-40 they will charge.

·
fixin stuff
65 Posts
marty is on the money, that would be my advice as well. You may have to have them do a snap shot when the problem occurs because its expands the data 10 fold. it may not show up on a simple data viewing. however a code for the particular sensor should be stored.

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
Often, and something that's showing up more with accumulated mileage and age, is that what the DME stores as loss of communication from a (usually rear) wheel speed sensor is an intermittant connection. Where the wiring passes through the trunkfloor (easily checked on rdstrs by taking out the false floor) has been known to fracture, causing, at first, periodic interuptions, before total loss of continuity.

If the stored codes indicate a rear wheel speed sensor__and this is THE most likely reason for simultaneous ABS/DSC malfunction__check the wiring before buying any sensors.

Ideally, the wire would've been constructed with a larger number of finer copper strands for greater flexibility, but we've all learned the hard way on how adamant BMW was to save money producing these cars...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I know this is an older thread but hope one of you guys picks up this post. I keep getting the blinking wheel sensor/TPS light. After I reset it it comes back within a few minutes. Tire pressure is perfect and we have cleaned each wheel sensor and all the surrounding parts. Are there any other thoughts on why it keeps triggering. The ECU was recently flashed with a BMW emissions update that was out years ago and then a Dinan tune on top of that. I read something somewhere that talked about a faulty keyless entry module could cause it to trip but that was not a BMW specific search result.

Thanks for your input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts