BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I have a quick question. I have a 2007 328xi with 90k miles. I drive it about 60-70 miles a day.

Lately Ive been having some strange symptoms. Sometimes when I start it I get the 4x4! error display and from what I've looked up it appears that the x-drive failed to initiate. Once I start to drive it goes away. When I shut off the car and restart it, the error is cleared.

Other times the clock just resets.. maybe one in 10 times. The trip odometer and clock will be "-----"

This morning I went to the car and the key didnt work at all. I couldnt unlock it or open the trunk. I used the actual metal key to open the door and there were no lights no tones, no nothing.

I put the key in the key hole and tried to start it, no reaction.

I went to work in a different vehicle and came home and it worked just fine. I hit the key and the door unlocked. I took the battery to autozone and it tested normal.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Also, I typically have both power outlets (or cigarette lighters) powering something.****** phone and gps, etc...

I also run the AC almost the entire time I drive. maybe 99%, sometimes in the winter too.

· Registered
124 Posts
It could be your battery is on is way out even though it tests good it still could be bad. Also the ibs could be bad. By the age and mileage of your car I'd the battery is original I would change it.

Sent from my C771 using Bimmer App

· Registered
12 Posts
Gitmo...did you ever find out what the issue was with this power failure. I experienced something like this and wonder what happened.
I got the same 4x4 indication and clock reset. It happens with the car is parked and not while it is running. I doubt it is a battery problem.
Let me know if you learned any more about it. Thanks.

· Flying monkey herder
8,298 Posts
Gitmo...did you ever find out what the issue was with this power failure. I experienced something like this and wonder what happened.
I got the same 4x4 indication and clock reset. It happens with the car is parked and not while it is running. I doubt it is a battery problem.
Let me know if you learned any more about it. Thanks.
your symptoms are all indicative of a battery thats on its way out (the clock resetting and the 4X4 error is due to those control units losing power). why do you doubt its a battery problem?
if your battery is more than 4-5 years old or if it was replaced and not registered, i would strongly suspect the battery

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. The car eventually failed and like some other posts on here hinted, the fuse box was melted. The dealer had to rewire and install the fuse box. There is a recall out for 06-09 (I think those years) on all 3 series and other models for the same issue. I was under warranty thank god, because it was fixed about 2 months before BMW issued the recall.

· Flying monkey herder
8,298 Posts
Yes. The car eventually failed and like some other posts on here hinted, the fuse box was melted. The dealer had to rewire and install the fuse box. There is a recall out for 06-09 (I think those years) on all 3 series and other models for the same issue. I was under warranty thank god, because it was fixed about 2 months before BMW issued the recall.
FYI, the 5 series was not one of the cars recalled:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM433812/RCDNN-13V044-8968.pdf

the 1, 3, and Z4 were recalled.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.