BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new to the forums. Joined because I can't seem to find a fix or even anyone else having experienced this issue anywhere, and figured I'd ask the experts.

My parents have an 04 530i. When the system is on AM, reception is clear and sound is normal for about 25-30 seconds, the suddenly sounds like it's slipped out of tune. It gets louder, lots of static, and the transmission is garbled. Normally they have it on 680 News, but it sounds like the dial slips to 670. It does this for 5 or 6 seconds, then clears up again. 25-30 seconds later, it happens again, and this goes on and on regardless of vehicle speed, weather conditions, etc. It's damned annoying, but I cannot figure out what could be causing it. I'll try to upload a video and link it. In the meantime, any insight into what I could do to resolve the issue would be appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Get another radio from a junkyard.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
You will need to investigate the diversity module at the back of car. Chances are there may be water getting into the module along with road salt which may be causing this issue. Check out the threads on diversity modules for more information.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
There are many antennas in the car. The diversity antenna module selects the best antenna based on the signal strength and amplifies the signal in that band but id doesn't do channel selection.
This is why I don't think it's related to the antennas or the diversity module.

CCC-ANT is the module in the CCC that does the channel selection and if it "sounds like it's slipped out of tune" then it's the CCC-ANT at fault.

However if the car is moving and the reception depends on the orientation of the car, it might be an antenna or diversity module problem. Having said that the AM frequency is not that sensitive to directions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts