BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

So my 1998 328is is giving me some starting issues. It began by me turning the key, starter would engage for a second,kick out (I'm still holding the key to start), then it would kick in again and start the car. Low and behold I found a loose power wire on the starter. Tightened it and had no problems for about 2 weeks.

Today it decided to start acting up again. It's giving me rough starts, sometimes no start. Seems like timing is off on the starter or something. It will give me clean start once in a while as well. My mechanic friend is unsure of what it could be as well. My ASC light came on out of nowhere a couple days but has since started functioning normally again ( not sure if that's relevant).

I have ran a diagnostic scan on it, just a "tank leak" code came up. Any help would be appreciated in diagnosing what the issue is. I'm pretty sure it's not the starter and I replaced the battery 2 months ago. I know I am not losing power to the starter when it kicks out as I had my friend hold a test light to it while I cranked it. The cars runs fine and idles fine when it starts. I've read everything from faulty starter solenoid, ICV, Throttle body but not sure exactly what it is.

Thanks in advance. This is driving me crazy.:dunno::dunno::mad:

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Low and behold I found a loose power wire on the starter. Tightened it and had no problems for about 2 weeks.:
Also check the ground cable between the engine and the chassis.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
The enable signal goes from the EWS to the starter and it's 0V when not starting and 10-12V during starting. You can measure it with a simple digital multimeter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts