BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a nice 2003 325i sedan. The windshield was cracked so I negotiated to have it replaced as part of the deal to buy the car. They put in a new windshield and were supposed to make sure that it was a rain sensor type because there is the inferred sensor on the windshield behind the rear view mirror.

Anyway, on the first setting the rain sensor does not work. On the second setting the wipers work at a medium speed. However, the intermittent part does not work. Therefore the second setting the speed is not adjustable. The same applies to the third setting.

Is there any connection between the rain sensor not working and the intermittent portion not working?

One other thing. If I change the intermittent adjustment even one click, while in the first or rain sensor setting, the wipers make one pass.

Does anyone have any ideas as to where I should start to get at least variable speed wipers? I can live with out the rain sensor setting but I do need variable speed wipers. Is there any way that a "non rain sensor" windshield could be causing this whole thing or am I looking at two separate problems?

Thanks to any one who can offer any advice.

Stan

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
It was my understanding that if you have rain sensing wipers, that replaces the standard intermittent wiper function. I've never had rain sensing wipers on either of my E46s... but I believe the stalk in the first position activates the rain sensor, then the "dial" in the stalk simply adjusts the sensitivity. The 2nd and 3rd positions are simply low/high wiper speed.

If this is the case, then yes, a non-rain sensing windshield - or one that was not properly installed - would certainly be causing them not to work...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts