BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're planning to spend a day in Austria, but only realized now that we need an international drivers license. Is there a AAA in Munich or another source? We pick up our car Monday.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
We're planning to spend a day in Austria, but only realized now that we need an international drivers license. Is there a AAA in Munich or another source? We pick up our car Monday.

Thanks,

Chris
Don't panic. When we were stopped on the A2 outside of Vienna , I handed over the car's documents and my Calif DL. I forgot to dig out the IDL, and they didn't ask for it .

·
Registered
1,203 Posts

·
Can has cheezburger
2,081 Posts

Thanks,

Chris
I forgot to get one before our ED as well, but didn't have any problems.

The thing you can't get away without is the road toll sticker if you use the highways. They sell them in gas stations at the border.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Stay off the autobahn if you are just going to spend one day in Austria. If you travel on the autobahn, motorway, or expressway, whatever you want to call it, you have to purchase a vignette. http://www.tolltickets.com/country/austria/vignette.aspx?lang=en-GB
100% agreed.

When you get onto the highway heading towards Austria, pull into one of the gas stations along the way and buy the vignette sticker (before you pass into Austria). It's usually only 7-10 Euros for a week sticker. Also, I would recommend bringing a roll of scotch tape so you can affix it to the inside of your windshield. Normally, you'd use the adhesive side of the vignette (i've done this with every car that I've rented from Munich). I recommend the scotch tape because you can easily remove the vignette before you drop off the car at the end of your ED. It's likely that BMW will remove it for you before the car reaches your port etc.

A few years ago I took a day trip from Munich to Hitlers' Eagles Nest (Austrian/German border). I didn't bother with the vignette as I knew The Nest was inside Germany. However, the exit off of the highway was in Austria (I wasn't expecting this). The Austrian police were stationed there pulling cars over without the vignetted. They hit me for 100 Euros (cash or credit card). That really took a hit out of my "milk money" budget.

The moral: If you are driving anywhere near the Austrian border (even to Neuschwanstein Castle), spend the 7 euros for the vignette.

Have fun on your trip and post lots of pix!

·
Registered
699 Posts
[QUOTE

The moral: If you are driving anywhere near the Austrian border (even to Neuschwanstein Castle), spend the 7 euros for the vignette.

Have fun on your trip and post lots of pix![/QUOTE]

Actually, I would ask at the gas station if driving on a motorway needs sticker.

I just drove from munich to fussen, mittenwald, miesbach and did enter into Austria. Before entering motorway 179 in Austria, I went to a gas station and asked for a toll vignette. Just before paying I asked the sales person "Do I need this to drive on 179?" She said NO. And when I entered the highway, there was a sign that toll vignettes are not required on this motorway. Of course, if you don't see the sign early, it may be too late to reverse and get sticker.

Another option is to check "avoid highway" in navigation system (if equipped).

·
Registered
327 Posts
Agreed. But 7 euros buys you some piece of mind. For anyone who is driving in Germany/Austria for the first time, it's always nice to not have to worry about which highways to avoid or not. Just get in the car, set the Nav and drive. YMMV... :)

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Agreed. But 7 euros buys you some piece of mind. For anyone who is driving in Germany/Austria for the first time, it's always nice to not have to worry about which highways to avoid or not. Just get in the car, set the Nav and drive. YMMV... :)
+1 IMO if you can't afford the 7 euros you shouldn't be doing the ED thing anyway.:cry:
Good luck
cheers
vern

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great feedback... sounds like I am hearing no worries on the International Drivers Permit, but be sure to get a "vignette". I'll definitely get one before entering Austria.

Less than 24 hours to pick up at the Welt: 135i M Sport! It's going to be hard to sleep tonight, I've been planning this trip for 2 years. Will post lots of pics.

Chris

·
Happily Driving
7,169 Posts
Another option is to check "avoid highway" in navigation system (if equipped).
Or "avoid toll roads" if that option still exists (it does on my E60).

Plus taking the secondary routes in the Alps is a whole lot more scenic! But of course it takes longer to get where your going. But its all about the journey and not the destination, right? :angel:

·
Registered
699 Posts
Or "avoid toll roads" if that option still exists (it does on my E60).

Plus taking the secondary routes in the Alps is a whole lot more scenic! But of course it takes longer to get where your going. But its all about the journey and not the destination, right? :angel:
" Avoid toll roads" will remove some small private roads (charging tolls) that have spectacular scenery!

·
Happily Driving
7,169 Posts
" Avoid toll roads" will remove some small private roads (charging tolls) that have spectacular scenery!
That is true! I had forgotten about that scenario. I remember the first time I went down a private "toll road." It seemed very unusual to me! But it was well worth it.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Vignettes for Switzerland are very expensive. You have to purchase one for the entire year.

A few years ago when driving a Swiss vacation, I turned my Garmin on to avoid toll roads. Needless to say, we saw some extraordinary scenary. It's the best way to drive in Switzerland unless you need to get from point A to point B in a hurry.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I didn't actually get my vignette until after I was in Austria: coming from Füssen in the rain I didn't see a border crossing sign and didn't know I had crossed until my phone sent the "welcome to Austria" TXT, so I stopped a few kilometers later. I was worried, but didn't get stopped before anything happened.

·
SchaffeschaffeHäuslebaue
37 Posts
An International driver's license is required for Austria and Switzerland. Will you be checked? Maybe, maybe not.
A co-worker was asked for his international license on the A5 border crossing into Switzerland from Germany. When he told the border police he didn't have one, they took his passport and told him to turn around at the next exit and handed him his passport back when he crossed the border checkpoint leaving the country.

Also, another post said to "tape" your vignette to your windshield. If you are pulled over you will be fined the same as if you had no vignette at all. This prevents people from buying one pass to be taped in multiple cars.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Great feedback... sounds like I am hearing no worries on the International Drivers Permit, but be sure to get a "vignette". I'll definitely get one before entering Austria.

Less than 24 hours to pick up at the Welt: 135i M Sport! It's going to be hard to sleep tonight, I've been planning this trip for 2 years. Will post lots of pics.

Chris
Tell the BMW guy or gal al the Welt that you are planning to go to Austria and forgot to get the int'l DL. The'll help you!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts