BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2006 BMW 325XI (no Idrive. When starting in cold here in NY cranking recently is slow but starts. Last battery replacement was an OEM one in April 2017..so thinking about changing battery out with Interstate Group Size: H6 (48) AGM.. I will check battery with a multimeter tomorrow to see the battery state (12.6-12.8V) , CCA (does not fall below 10V) when starting and whether it is getting proper charge from the alternator (14.2-14.6V) when on. A Few questions:

1. When selecting battery it asks whether I have (AGM option 1, 2 or 3) Not sure what the Options Are?
2. Does this look like the right battery?
3. Which scanner tool is best for battery registration: Foxwell NT510 or Ancel BM700?
4. I can go to a BMW dealer and get battery replacement and coding for $320 as well.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
When registering the battery, when the AH capacity of the new battery is the same range as the old battery, no coding is needed. Unfortunately, many batteries from non-BMW dealer sources do NOT have a stated AH battery capacity, so installing that battery is a matter of hope its capacity is the same as old battery.

·
Registered
611 Posts
On a 2006, and especially if you have the original starter, you probably have well worn start brushes. Your battery sounds fine.

Also, if you put the same battery in that your took out, you can get away with not registering.

·
Registered
6,368 Posts
Generally the stock battery's will have the Amp hours printed on the the top and they are mostly
Lead acid. The print it under the battery hold down piece .
In most cars the battery will be a group 49 size H8 or H7 .
Bigger is better in amp hours because these cars are battery hogs.
No reason to get a BMW battery there is nothing special about them.
You can get and Interstate 49/H8 for around 200 the next size down should be
less. Some people get Costco or Wallmart battery's .

Yep it could be the starter going out to.

The best thing to have in terms of diagnostics is Standard Tools and or Ista .
The next best thing is Bimmergeeks Pro Tools.
No reason to get an AGM that I can think of my last Interstate 49/h8 lasted
10 years before I changed it with another one cause I didn't want to get stuck
somewhere.
If you change to AGM you will likely have reprogram the car because most
of the cars come with Lead / Acid battery's

There are lots of threads on this subject .
Do not use battery back up or let someone that does not know not
to use battery back up change the battery or it will blow fuses.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
No reason to get a BMW battery there is nothing special about them.
You can get and Interstate 49/H8 for around 200 the next size down should be
less. Some people get Costco or Wallmart battery's .
I replaced battery at dealer during visit for other routine service, I asked my Service Advisor for battery replacement and stated I could register it myself.
They replaced battery with one like original, price for part was only $195 in 2017. I had them do installation, since installation at home can be a bit difficult due to its location, and going back and forth to bring back the battery core is additional time and gas and bother.
They also registered battery and did not charge me for registration, only for R&R of battery. So dealer battery price is not necessarily a rip off!

·
Registered
6,368 Posts
There is a lot of Battery Rape going on out there. Even Indys want a ridiculous price to install
and register. One of the Hardest Parts is getting the battery in place and not messing up the
cabling as the space it tight those battery's are Heavy. Most dealers are at 400 plus and my local Indys are at 350 .

·
Registered
313 Posts
Interstates are generally good, but I'd go with the bigger H7 or H8 like ctuna suggested. While the ad sheets make AGM's sound great, I've never found anything indicating their theoretical longer cycle life actually translates to more years in the field.

If you're in an area with salt on the roads, check the ground strap, too. A voltage drop there can slow down the cranking.

Oh, and the "option 1, 2 or 3" on Costco's site is for the different battery sizes - H6, H7 or Group 49/H8. Those physical sizes correspond to something like 70, 80 or 95Ah capacity in the Interstate AGM's that Costco carries, but capacity varies with different brands.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
There is a lot of Battery Rape going on out there. Even Indys want a ridiculous price to install
and register. One of the Hardest Parts is getting the battery in place and not messing up the
cabling
as the space it tight those battery's are Heavy. Most dealers are at 400 plus and my local Indys are at 350 .
Per my invoice, battery itself was $195, installation was $120 which I asked them to do as I already knew what ctuna commented, and they threw in Registration (after I told them I could do it myself). And then there was my BMW CCA member discount applied against the $195 part.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When registering the battery, when the AH capacity of the new battery is the same range as the old battery, no coding is needed. Unfortunately, many batteries from non-BMW dealer sources do NOT have a stated AH battery capacity, so installing that battery is a matter of hope its capacity is the same as old battery.
I just checked which battery I have in the car. It is an Interstate H8 .(AGM).

I can get the indentical AGM H8 t is $177 at Costco. If I put in the same battery that was in before do I need to register it? I believe no coding needed. Or I may go with dealer for $320.

It may be the starter instead of the Battey...went to Advance Auto and they said the battery was fine as well as the alternator.....

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,187 Posts
Not a bad idea. Although what does your existing one look like??!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
The local BMW dealership has the BMW AGM 105AH (P/N 61-21-5-A40-E33) for $161.28 (while the 92AH equivalent P/N 61-21-5-A40-E29 goes for $177 - the one call for use in the E9X) if ordered on their parts website, then picked up over-the-counter at the dealership.

BMW branded batteries will always be my first choice. Interstate brand as my second.....there isn't any options past these two....for me.

So, it might be worth it to check to see if your local BMW dealership has an online storefront (not the same as asking at the dealership parts counter.....)...
Rectangle Font Parallel Terrestrial plant Screenshot

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I just checked which battery I have in the car. It is an Interstate H8 .(AGM).

I can get the indentical AGM H8 t is $177 at Costco. If I put in the same battery that was in before do I need to register it? I believe no coding needed. Or I may go with dealer for $320.

It may be the starter instead of the Battey...went to Advance Auto and they said the battery was fine as well as the alternator.....
Some folks say that Registering a new battery is not needed. However, consider the purpose of Registering....it tells the charge management system how old the battery is, so it can adapt its charging characteristics to be more appropriate to the battery age. If you insert a new battery, and the charge management thinks it is 8 year olds, it will charge the new battery the way it would charge an 8 year old battery...not in the most optimum manner for a new battery!
When 'same capacity' and 'same type' (flooded vs. AGM) then Coding is not necessary. but always wise to Register.

Let me reiterate a point made by ctuna in post #7 for emphasis:
"One of the Hardest Parts is getting the battery in place and not messing up the cabling as the space is tight those battery's are Heavy. "
Be prepared.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tried to charge the battery with my Diehard Charger and it analyzed it as a "Bad Battery." Bought the identical AGM h8 Interstate battery in the car from Costco and will be replacing soon. Waiting on Ancel BM700 tool from Amazon so I can register it. Watched a number of videos on Youtube for battery change and, while awkward, seems doable in 30 minutes. Will update.

·
Registered
3/2007 328xi E91
3,847 Posts
Some folks say that Registering a new battery is not needed. However, consider the purpose of Registering....it tells the charge management system how old the battery is, so it can adapt its charging characteristics to be more appropriate to the battery age. If you insert a new battery, and the charge management thinks it is 8 year olds, it will charge the new battery the way it would charge an 8 year old battery...not in the most optimum manner for a new battery!...
Hi Wilt,
You often present good advice.
NOT sure this is "one of those times". ;)
IF you have ANY BMW Documentation (Training Manual cite, etc.) to support the idea that "Registration" of the battery affects the charging profile, or allows the DME/Power Module to know how old the battery installed is, please provide that information.

AFAIK, Batterietausch Registrieren (Registering Replacement Battery) simply enters the Odometer/km reading, at the moment the "Registration" button is pressed, into a text field that is used for Informational Purposes only, so a tech can see mileage at which battery was most recently "registered". So if the DME used mileage at last battery registration to determine charging profile, someone who drives 30,000 miles per year would have a completely different charging profile on Battery "X" than someone who drives 3,000 miles per year.

Some "Registration" protocols may reset the "Histogram" which is a historical record of last 5 days of State of Charge, but that is over-written in 5 days anyway. Also Histogram contains historical data on old battery, such as time at certain temp range, and State of Charge, which allows tech to see battery history. So resetting Histogram removes OLD Historical Data that does NOT apply to new battery.

AFAIK, NONE of that information affects how the DME causes the Alternator to charge the battery installed in the E9x vehicle (other models have different "Power Management"). THAT is all based upon (1) "Battery Capacity" (which includes TYPE: AGM/FLA) setting selected in CAS Module (using NCS), and (2) Battery SoC (State of Charge) data for last 5 days. That data is measured by the IBS, and sent to, saved in, DME "Power Module" memory. Much of that information is provided in BMW Training Manual: "E90 Voltage Supply & Bus Systems", pdf attached. INPA and NCS also provide the information related to Battery Capacity Settings, Histogram, and "Battery Registration".

I have NO personal BMW training or experience, other than my own use of INPA, NCS, and reading TM. So others having different understanding of BMW DOCUMENTATION, please provide your views, and citations to such documentation that is the basis for such views.
George

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've found BMW battery from dealer very competitive with local Interstate store. Costco might beat it.
Been very happy with the life of the factory BMW battery.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Hi Wilt,
You often present good advice.
NOT sure this is "one of those times". ;)
IF you have ANY BMW Documentation (Training Manual cite, etc.) to support the idea that "Registration" of the battery affects the charging profile, or allows the DME/Power Module to know how old the battery installed is, please provide that information.

AFAIK, Batterietausch Registrieren (Registering Replacement Battery) simply enters the Odometer/km reading, at the moment the "Registration" button is pressed, into a text field that is used for Informational Purposes only, so a tech can see mileage at which battery was most recently "registered". So if the DME used mileage at last battery registration to determine charging profile, someone who drives 30,000 miles per year would have a completely different charging profile on Battery "X" than someone who drives 3,000 miles per year.

Some "Registration" protocols may reset the "Histogram" which is a historical record of last 5 days of State of Charge, but that is over-written in 5 days anyway. Also Histogram contains historical data on old battery, such as time at certain temp range, and State of Charge, which allows tech to see battery history. So resetting Histogram removes OLD Historical Data that does NOT apply to new battery.

AFAIK, NONE of that information affects how the DME causes the Alternator to charge the battery installed in the E9x vehicle (other models have different "Power Management"). THAT is all based upon (1) "Battery Capacity" (which includes TYPE: AGM/FLA) setting selected in CAS Module (using NCS), and (2) Battery SoC (State of Charge) data for last 5 days. That data is measured by the IBS, and sent to, saved in, DME "Power Module" memory. Much of that information is provided in BMW Training Manual: "E90 Voltage Supply & Bus Systems", pdf attached. INPA and NCS also provide the information related to Battery Capacity Settings, Histogram, and "Battery Registration".

I have NO personal BMW training or experience, other than my own use of INPA, NCS, and reading TM. So others having different understanding of BMW DOCUMENTATION, please provide your views, and citations to such documentation that is the basis for such views.
George
I have only Bentley to quote on this, as I do not have any BMW training materials that cover charge system:

" 'Register battery replacement' to notify vehicle power management (software in the engine electronics and intelligent battery sensor) that a new battery is fitted in the vehicle.​
Without new battery registration, CAS and vehicle power management does not run properly and this can lead to function limitations; for example: reduction or deactivation of individual consumer functions."​
And from BMW starting & battery charging system

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Changed battery and car starts fine....but....went to register with the Ancel BM700 tool and having problems...key is in and press start button with no foot on pedal so car is not on when performing this... images attached...

Selected e90...special functions,,,battery management....but when I should get the screen for battery registration, it instead reads CBS Function (Service Function) and will go anywhere when clicked...Help?

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Found this under Battery registration forum here... I replaced with identical interstate battery....also, FYI..my battery had the black distribution box on top of my old battery (not the newer red one)....not sure if that matters...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts