BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I stream music via Spotify or Pandora, I only get metadata for the first song on iDrive but when the song changes (or if I change it manually) then the new artist/title info is Not displayed. Actually, there have been a 3-4 instances where the iDrive automatically displayed new song's metadata...but generally it doesn't.

I've had the same issue whether I'm using Bluetooth or usb cable. Is this an iPhone/app issue or iDrive issue? Would getting a cradle solve this?

·
Registered
8,186 Posts
I would guess that you updated the NBT Combox software, correct?
Whenever I stream music via Spotify or Pandora, I only get metadata for the first song on iDrive but when the song changes (or if I change it manually) then the new artist/title info is Not displayed. Actually, there have been a 3-4 instances where the iDrive automatically displayed new song's metadata...but generally it doesn't.

I've had the same issue whether I'm using Bluetooth or usb cable. Is this an iPhone/app issue or iDrive issue? Would getting a cradle solve this?

·
Registered
8,186 Posts
My car is 2014 Nov Built, so it already had the updated software...but I did update to the latest one available from bmw this weekend. In both cases, I've had this issue.
Try with TuneIn Radio and BMW Apps webradio, please.

It seems to me that other than iTunes any other app that uses the BT Audio stack will get the first packet ID tag and stop right there. I can understand Spotify as it is not BMW Apps-approved, but I experienced the same with Pandora which it is. So I do not use it via BT Audio, only USB. No problems with Pandora and USB.

The iTunes does not show such problem via BT Audio at all; it is flawless, including Album Art.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try with TuneIn Radio and BMW Apps webradio, please.

It seems to me that other than iTunes any other app that uses the BT Audio stack will get the first packet ID tag and stop right there. I can understand Spotify as it is not BMW Apps-approved, but I experienced the same with Pandora which it is. So I do not use it via BT Audio, only USB. No problems with Pandora and USB.

The iTunes does not show such problem via BT Audio at all; it is flawless, including Album Art.
I have Spotify's premium subscription, so I'm really hoping to make Spotify work somehow. The weird thing is that a few times Spotify actually did update track info when it switched to the next track, so I don't think it's a BT Audio limitation.

I'm trying to avoid webradio apps since they require a 3G connection (data usage) and the quality isn't as good as offline mode apps.

·
Registered
8,186 Posts
The thing is that Spotify is not BMW Apps-approved, so any issues with it can be understandable. However, Pandora should not have any issue as it is BMW Apps-approved but it does, and in your particular case regardless of A2DP or USB. I do not have any USB issue with Pandora but only with A2DP.

I also think that it could be an issue with metadata being dynamically updated vs metadata being indexed (static, like in iTunes) while using A2DP.

I have Spotify's premium subscription, so I'm really hoping to make Spotify work somehow. The weird thing is that a few times Spotify actually did update track info when it switched to the next track, so I don't think it's a BT Audio limitation.

I'm trying to avoid webradio apps since they require a 3G connection (data usage) and the quality isn't as good as offline mode apps.

·
1oz perception-1# obscure
3,618 Posts
Spotify's behavior with iDrive can be amusing.

• Sometimes it works fine.
  • Sometimes it only says "Unknown Artist, Unknown Track"
  • Sometimes it shows the Spotify Artist name accurately, but shows the name of a song from my iPhone's music library.

Usually, when it's working anything other than correctly, I notice that if I get out of the car and turn it off (to run into the store, for example), it works properly when I get back in. But then, once I go home and leave it off for a while, all bets are off.

I can't use USB to solve the problem, either, because the car won't let Spotify run via USB - it always cuts back to the music library after a second or two.

So I've learned to live with it. I could solve the problem by abandoning Spotify and switching to something approved for BMW Apps, so that I could control it entirely from iDrive - but at this point Spotify's service is just too far beyond the others to give it up.

·
BMW aficionado
686 Posts
The more I read these posts, the more I lament for (soon-to-be-dead) MOG, whose integration with iDrive was near-flawless via USB. :-(

CarPlay cannot come soon enough!

·
3,618 Posts
The more I read these posts, the more I lament for (soon-to-be-dead) MOG, whose integration with iDrive was near-flawless via USB. :-(

CarPlay cannot come soon enough!
MOG clearly had superior BMW integration, but Spotify's mobile app is so much better. Maybe the Beats Audio version will be better.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
3,618 Posts
I was just thinking about switching over to MOG...and now you're saying it's coming to an end as well?
Beats Audio acquired MOG. Could be better, maybe not.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
BMW aficionado
686 Posts
I was just thinking about switching over to MOG...and now you're saying it's coming to an end as well?
MOG will shutdown on 04/15. Beats Music does not have BMW Apps/iDrive integration yet - but will be supported in CarPlay in the future.

Source:

* https://mogsupport.zendesk.com/entries/38622987-What-happens-to-MOG-service-and-subscribers-

* http://support.beatsmusic.com/hc/communities/public/questions/200378094-BMW-Integration

* http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So what are my options in regards to subscription based music services?

Btw, I tried mp3s on a usb stick and it worked flawlessly, I could see the entire playlist in HUD, and when I switched to a track it displayed related metadata and album art correctly as well. If there isn't any subscription service that works with iDrive, then I guess I'll just resort to mp3s and cancel my spotify subscription.

·
Registered
8,186 Posts
Rhapsody is BMW Apps-approved.

So what are my options in regards to subscription based music services?

Btw, I tried mp3s on a usb stick and it worked flawlessly, I could see the entire playlist in HUD, and when I switched to a track it displayed related metadata and album art correctly as well. If there isn't any subscription service that works with iDrive, then I guess I'll just resort to mp3s and cancel my spotify subscription.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im having the exact same problem with my 2014 and Spotify. Whats weird is my previous F10 (2011) updated the metadata (no album art) with each track advance. I was surprised the functionality was lost with the 2014. Has anyone found a workaround? 90% of my music listening is streamed with Spotify premium and it sure would be nice to see the song on the screen/HUD rather than fumbling around with my iPhone.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just tried out Rhapsody...it's Integration with iDrive (via Cradle) is Awesome! The only issue I saw was that the scrollable playlist doesn't show up in HUD...maybe if I download songs on my phone and create playlists then it might work.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tried creating playlists and downloading songs to my phone...HUD still won't show scrollable playlist, just the current title and next/back arrows. I've decided to use Rhapsody now, cancelling my spotify subscription.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.