Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my 2014 X1 on Friday to replace my 2011 X3. It's the one without the iDrive, and the interior seems pretty cheap in comparison. But anyway ...

The radio won't recognize my iPhone 5 (or my wife's), via USB in, for audio, although it recognizes it for charging purposes. My X3 didn't either, although I assumed that was due to the antiquated BMW Y-Connector and the 30-pin to Lightning adapter that didn't do anything.

What's the deal here? Even the cheapest rental cars I've been recognize the audio with this phone and this cable (I've tried four different cables). Attached is a photo of what happens when I attempt to connect it. It just says "Insert USB."

This can't be right...

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
I use my iPhone 5 all the time. My dealer provided me with the BMW Y connector and I purchased the 30 pin to lighting adaptor from Apple. When you plug the cable into your iPhone and plug the the USB and Aux cables from the Y adaptor, the radio will recognize your phone. When you use the white charging cable that was supplied with your phone, it will charge only. There is special circuitry in the Y cable and Apple's lighting adaptor.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's weird that my $17K Fiat doesn't require the Y Adapter, but my $38K Bimmer does. But ...

The Y Connector plus 30 pin to Lightning Adapter from Apple never worked in my 2011 X3. Dealer is sending me a new one. Seems like such a half-assed solution, and unsightly, too, since the input isn't isn't hidden ...

·
TJ
71 Posts
Just use the standard apple cable that came with your phone.

·
TJ
71 Posts
Yes works just fine. Make sure you have the latest I drive software installed.

TJ

·
Registered
143 Posts
My Apple USB cable did not work either. Only charged the phone.

My BMW Y adapter with the 30 pin to lightning adapter plugged in did work, only after I plugged both the USB and AUX portion into the car.

If this is not working for you, and you're using official an official apple 30 pin adapter, I'd say you need to have your software/USB port checked out in your Vehicle. Something may be wrong.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On a whim, I bought a second adapter from Target tonight for $30. Noticed it was smaller than the one I bought from the Apple Store last year. And poof, it worked. I think the Apple Store sold me a crappy adapter.

But bigger picture, it's pretty lame that a 2014 BMW needs this awkward and ugly Y adapter, when in my little cheap 2012 Fiat, the iPhone connects great with the standard lightning cable, and it's hidden inside the glove box ...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Glad it worked. I purchased my apple adapter on IP5 launch date and it works fine, but you could have had a dud that charges but doesn't transfer data.

FYI, the only way you'll get Bluetooth streaming is if you have the "Enhanced" Bluetooth feature in the premium sound package.
A 2014 X1 I test drove had the package, and I was able to stream my music through it. As far as the Y adapter goes, I'm not really sure either. My STi and Mazdaspeed both recognized my iPhone as an IPod when plugged in via the Lightning cable, but they also had BT stream.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A little reviving... I just got the little Y cable because I want to see my songs on the radio screen and am tired of not being able to control playback from the steering wheel. Anyway, it doesn't work. The phone charges, but I get no sound. Going to USB just gives me the "insert USB" business. If I try and play a song from my phone, it only plays through the phone speaker. What is going on?! I'm getting annoyed. FWIW, I have an iPhone 5 and am using the 30 pin to lightning adaptor (which is pictured as an option on the card included with the cable).

·
Registered
13 Posts
I also have a non-Idrive X1. I use the USB (retractable) cable for charging. For playback, I use an Aux-to-Aux (stereo) cable and plug it into the headphones jack on the iPhone. Works great. No need to buy the Y-cable and 30-pin-to-Lightning adapters. Both cables are retractable and black so there is no clutter and you only see as much cable as you need and only when you're using it. When not in use, they just tuck down in the little area in front of the shifter. I put the phone in the passenger cup holder, by the way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Similar issue. I have a 2014 X1 without the iDrive or Nav. I bought this cable from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Cooper-cable-iPhone-Lightning-adapter/dp/B00GRVIXC8/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1407783176&sr=1-2&keywords=bmw+ipod+cable and my car is not recognizing the iPhone 5 at all through USB, it just says "Insert USB" when I select it. I have tried to read through all of the topics on this but it is not clear if my setup would/should work. Do I need a combox, new Y-cable, iDrive, the snap in adapter, advanced bluetooth or just a new car entirely? I tried the standard Apple USB lightening cable and it does nothing but charge the phone when inserted in the USB.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Get the BMW Y cable and use an apple converter from the old iPhone cable to the new iPhone 5 cable. Music will work and sound fine and the phone will charge from the cable. One of those aspects of the X1 that I wish I didn't deal with and went in another direction.

·
Deburn
97 Posts
Just got a 2011 non-Idrive 328xi. The Y cable from the BMW dealer works fine with my iPhone 5S and Apple 30 pin adaptor, but I need a longer cable, so I can keep my iPhone on my dash to use it for directions etc. Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
I believe the MINI and BMW Y cable are not interchangeable.

And, in addtion, you need to read the sticker in the upper left corner of the windshield.
All I can say is "Huh?"

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts