BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am connecting with my iPhone 6 over BT, iOS 9 and 10 both works fine.
However if I have been away from the car for a while, it connects but refuse to start playing music again unless i start it from the phone.
Anyway to fix this so you can start to play music from the car's controls?
It is in a 2017 430i.

Btw, I don't have Nav.
Also have a USB stick that i connect with music on it and if you embed art work in the actual files, you will see it on the car display just as if you had the phone connected.
Funny the genius told me this wasn't possible.:D

·
Registered
320 Posts
I switch to an other audio source and then switch back to BT. That usually starts it for me. I've had this same behavior even when I had my 2011 X5 and now in the 2014 320 I have. It's hit or miss randomly for me. Sometimes I come back to my car and music starts fine, other times I get in and BT was the last audio source I was using and it never starts.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I don't know if this will help but when listening to Pandora through the connected app on USB cable I have to go into stations and pick one for it to begin to play even if it opens on the one I want to hear.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The same things have happened to me. The connection between the phone and the car can be a little quirky. Here is another one - when playing Pandora over BT, the album art displays in the right section of the split screen. If the phone is in the snap-in adapter, the album art displays fine in the left split screen but will not display in the right - just song and artist info. Kind of odd...

+1 on occasionally having to find a station and restart the play on Pandora when using the wired connection. Also once in a while the app needs to be restarted on the phone - for some reason is shows paused on the phone when in the adapter, but only occasionally.

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
The same things have happened to me. The connection between the phone and the car can be a little quirky. Here is another one - when playing Pandora over BT, the album art displays in the right section of the split screen. If the phone is in the snap-in adapter, the album art displays fine in the left split screen but will not display in the right - just song and artist info. Kind of odd...

+1 on occasionally having to find a station and restart the play on Pandora when using the wired connection. Also once in a while the app needs to be restarted on the phone - for some reason is shows paused on the phone when in the adapter, but only occasionally.
I think the snap in adapter causes more issues.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I think the snap in adapter causes more issues.
I would tend to agree. I purchased the enhanced BT option and the adapter to make the in-car phone interface as seamless as possible. The BT is solid - I have had virtually no issues with BT connectivity so the enhanced BT is probably worth the cost. The snap-in adapter - not sure yet on that. The main reason that I wanted the option was to be able to play emails via voice recognition while driving. Unfortunately that has so far been impossible with my iPhone. Text messages work OK, but email messages do not - I keep hoping that there will be a BMW or Apple update that will accomplish this at some point.

The last two days I did a round trip from Columbus Ohio to Washington DC and back - about 900 miles. Used the adapter the whole way and things generally worked pretty well - no lock-ups on Pandora or anything else weird. Have an iPhone 6 running 10.0.1. Now I see that Apple has pushed out 10.0.2 so will see what that does...

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Everthing you guys have described I have experienced. I might have to keep my Sat. radio after my free trial runs up just so I have something to quickly switch to if I don't want to play the games to get Pandora of Iphone music to work. :(

There is no other way to say it... the entire system has issues. It's not very reliable. This should have been fixed by now..... or at last improved.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I don't know if this will help but when listening to Pandora through the connected app on USB cable I have to go into stations and pick one for it to begin to play even if it opens on the one I want to hear.
Update on this. When I start the Pandora app it will open but not play. I press the mute knob twice and it starts to play right away. This might work for the BT connection also. I am running a iPhone 6s Plus and the latest iOs.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Apple removed the email display capability sometime in iOS9. Most probably it was a glitch that was never supposed to be in there to begin with as BMW never acknowledged the email display capability by iPhones. After all, the email display was only possible via a series of trick steps at the iPhone.

Email and texts display are via A2DP and not via USB (snap in).

I would tend to agree. I purchased the enhanced BT option and the adapter to make the in-car phone interface as seamless as possible. The BT is solid - I have had virtually no issues with BT connectivity so the enhanced BT is probably worth the cost. The snap-in adapter - not sure yet on that. The main reason that I wanted the option was to be able to play emails via voice recognition while driving. Unfortunately that has so far been impossible with my iPhone. Text messages work OK, but email messages do not - I keep hoping that there will be a BMW or Apple update that will accomplish this at some point.

The last two days I did a round trip from Columbus Ohio to Washington DC and back - about 900 miles. Used the adapter the whole way and things generally worked pretty well - no lock-ups on Pandora or anything else weird. Have an iPhone 6 running 10.0.1. Now I see that Apple has pushed out 10.0.2 so will see what that does...

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hey it could be worse, those of us on Android are basically SOL :cry:

All I know is my old Acura TSX and a windows phone (yes a windows phone) worked seamlessly and read texts to me via voice command. have yet to find a way to get that with Android, this may finally force me into an iPhone (shudder :rofl:) I use a blue tooth dongle to stream music that seems to work pretty well for sound (although as previously noted elsewhere I have to crank the volume to hear it well above normal radio listening). No album art etc. comes across but I get sound

hope you get it figured out

·
Registered
198 Posts
Apple removed the email display capability sometime in iOS9. Most probably it was a glitch that was never supposed to be in there to begin with as BMW never acknowledged the email display capability by iPhones. After all, the email display was only possible via a series of trick steps at the iPhone.

Email and texts display are via A2DP and not via USB (snap in).
Hmmm. OK, probably true, but at least when I bought my car in December it was pretty clear that BMW supported email functions as part of the Connected Drive services. They never indicated that this was an Android-only function, and note the Apple store right next to the description of the feature. In fact, as of five minutes ago, the BMW Connected Drive site still indicates that this feature is available and does not differentiate between Apple and Android users:

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/cont...necteddrive/connecteddrive.aspx#view_services

Click on "mobile office" and you get this:

"Take telecommuting to a whole new level.
The BMW ConnectedDrive Mobile Office integrates many office functions into the main menu of your vehicle. Your emails, appointments, contacts, and schedule will be at your fingertips, so you're never out of contact on the road."

So, while not a deal breaker, I'm somewhat annoyed that this feature is not available as I was expecting to have it. Also I'm not sure why it would matter between text messages and email messages - in terms of being able to send them from the phone to the iDrive controller it seems like if one type is allowed the other should be as well. ???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts