BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 07' E60 and would like to syn my bluetooth & iphone to play music without the AUX cable. is this possible

·
Registered
12 Posts
According to my reading, the answer is, unfortunately, no. iDrive on the E60s does not support A2DP for audio streaming. You need to use your Aux port, have an iPod adapter or (worst case) an FM transmitter.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My solution

Get a blackberry audio gateway. Plug that into the aux port. Leave it in the glovebox. Create the bluetooth connection between the gateway and the iphone then audio will be streamed. The problem with this is that the phone can only be connected to 1 BT source so when you get a phone call you cant use the pcar to answer the call and the audio just comes in over the aux jack. Its one creative solution, and not for everyone....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks. Couple questions in follow-up

Get a blackberry audio gateway. Plug that into the aux port. Leave it in the glovebox. Create the bluetooth connection between the gateway and the iphone then audio will be streamed. The problem with this is that the phone can only be connected to 1 BT source so when you get a phone call you cant use the pcar to answer the call and the audio just comes in over the aux jack. Its one creative solution, and not for everyone....
Thanks. Two questions:

I understand that the Blackberry Audio Gateway gets wired into the aux. Is that the only advantage over something like a Motorola T505 Rockr that transmits by FM? I own one already.

If I use a Blackberry Audio Gateway, can an Android 2.2 phone (Thunderbolt) pair with the car's handsfree phone bluetooth and the Blackberry Audio Gateway (A2DP) simultaneously? (Sure hope the answer is a big fat YES.)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks. Two questions:

I understand that the Blackberry Audio Gateway gets wired into the aux. Is that the only advantage over something like a Motorola T505 Rockr that transmits by FM? I own one already.

If I use a Blackberry Audio Gateway, can an Android 2.2 phone (Thunderbolt) pair with the car's handsfree phone bluetooth and the Blackberry Audio Gateway (A2DP) simultaneously? (Sure hope the answer is a big fat YES.)
Sorry for the delay in the reply. With regards to the gateway, no it is better than the Rockr because its not an FM transmission, its a Bluetooth transmission from your phone to a receiver which transmits over copper thus giving you a better sound quality.

With regards to the Android or any other device, there is no bluetooth stack to my knowledge that is in our devices that allows us to simultaneously connect two bluetooth sources to one handset. It is a great idea though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
With regards to the Android or any other device, there is no bluetooth stack to my knowledge that is in our devices that allows us to simultaneously connect two bluetooth sources to one handset. It is a great idea though.
I'm getting conflicting reports on this. Some say the Evo can definitely connect to two different bluetooths provided they aren't both using "phone." I have a Thunderbolt which is somewhat like the Evo. I'll know the answer in a few days because my Blackberry A2DP device shipped from Amazon late last week.

·
Registered
51 Posts
my experience with BB gateway

I'm getting conflicting reports on this. Some say the Evo can definitely connect to two different bluetooths provided they aren't both using "phone." I have a Thunderbolt which is somewhat like the Evo. I'll know the answer in a few days because my Blackberry A2DP device shipped from Amazon late last week.
The BB Gateway connected to the AUX input as Alpin550 described works great with my BB Torch, although I leave everything in the center console not the glove box. As long as BT is on on my phone, as soon as I get in the car, the phone is connected with the gateway, and as soon as I turn on the ignition, the phone is also connected with the handsfreelink in the car. I use the gateway BT connection to listen to music stored on my phone or stream Pandora (gotta love the unlimited data plan!). The sound quality is as good as it gets. When a call comes in, the BT connection to the BB Gateway is automatically interrupted, the music stops, and I hear the telephone rings from the car speaker through the handsfree link as usual. I can pick up the call via the handsfree link using the steering wheel call button. When the call is over, the BT connection to the BB gateway will automatically reconnect in a couple of seconds and the music resumes (occasionally this last part takes a little longer).

One thing I would like to point out is that the Gateway needs a contiuous external power source. That's why if you want to have no visible line connection in the car, you need to keep the BB gateway in the center console where it can be connected with the USB port to get power. Obviously the downside here is you loose the availability of the USB port for a thumbdrive connection.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The HTC Thunderbolt (Android 2.2) can simultaneously connect to the car's bluetooth and the Blackberry gateway. I found this mildly surprising but I hear the same thing about the Incredible, also manufactured by HTC. Apparently, whether an Android phone can do this depends on what chip the manufacturer uses for bluetooth.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Solved

I think I found the ideal solution for people with Android phones that have multipoint bluetooth chips like those found on HTC phones. Buy the BB Music Gateway (~$50) and download the PowerAMP Music Player (~$5.99). There's an option in the music player app to autostream by A2DP upon connection and to pause upon disconnect. So, I can leave the BB Music Gateway on in the console. When the engine is running, it is powered. When not running, it is not powered. So, I can get in the car without ever touching my phone and just put the radio on Aux to hear my own music. It's pretty slick.

The only thing I don't like is there's no way to skip tracks without fumbling with the phone. I'm looking for an app that will turn the volume controls into track skippers by long pressing them the way a Blackberry volume button works. In the meantime, I'm using WidgetLocker and I put a music widget on my lock screen for skipping tunes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts