BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Loyal Fester
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

Just got my E92 (love it!) with iDrive, 6FL and they Y connector but I'm really having trouble getting the iPod functionality of my iPhone to work properly.

Bluetooth pairs and works fine so that is no issue but iPod is another story.

When connecting it does one of two things:

1. Starts playing from where it last left off, no songs list, no play list. Just shows current song only. Select playlist from the menu and it shows the "loading, may take some time" message and just stays there till I disconnect it. Bottom left of iDrive screen shows iPod so it recognises it.

2. Turn on the iPod function, hook up the cable, start the car and it displays song list (whole library), Genre, Artists etc BUT select playlist and the bottom of the screen will roll back to the last selected function.Bottom left of iDrive screen shows iPod so it recognises it.

So in either condition playlists seem to either freeze the iDrive iPod screen function (1) or not be selected (2).

Does anyone have the same experience or has heard about this?

Thanks!

·
Loyal Fester
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my iPhone just says the accesory you are trying to use is not designed for iPhone
Does it go on to ask you to switch to Airplane Mode?

If it's the same message then apparently you can just ignore that message and it still works fine.

·
Registered
258 Posts
And just checked it.
It says Not made to work with iPhone
do you want to switch to airplane mode to reduce interference.
I said "No"
and it showed it as iPod, all playlists and albums loaded can use it just like iPod.

I did not bother to use the iPhone in my car since i have a 40gb iPod which has all my songs and since the purchase of BMW i found no need to add new songs to playlist the driving is ultimate pleasure.

to the OP the iPhone should work just like iPod just ignore that Airplane mode alerts
get a friends iPhone and test this on the BMW and either see the dealer or the apple store

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi All,

Just got my E92 (love it!) with iDrive, 6FL and they Y connector but I'm really having trouble getting the iPod functionality of my iPhone to work properly.

Bluetooth pairs and works fine so that is no issue but iPod is another story.

When connecting it does one of two things:

1. Starts playing from where it last left off, no songs list, no play list. Just shows current song only. Select playlist from the menu and it shows the "loading, may take some time" message and just stays there till I disconnect it. Bottom left of iDrive screen shows iPod so it recognises it.

2. Turn on the iPod function, hook up the cable, start the car and it displays song list (whole library), Genre, Artists etc BUT select playlist and the bottom of the screen will roll back to the last selected function.Bottom left of iDrive screen shows iPod so it recognises it.

So in either condition playlists seem to either freeze the iDrive iPod screen function (1) or not be selected (2).

Does anyone have the same experience or has heard about this?

Thanks!
I had the same problem in my X5. First I went to Apple to change the Iphone and it worked for about a month. After I decided to see where is the actual problem since my wife's Iphone worked fine.

I found out that it has to do with Itunes and the the fles you might have there. I started to download only a playlist at a time and for music I made a new one with only about 100 songs. Is been working since.

My theory, it is one or several files that are corrupt and prevent the BMW software to upload them.
Try and see what happens.
Good luck.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I had the same problem in my X5. First I went to Apple to change the Iphone and it worked for about a month. After I decided to see where is the actual problem since my wife's Iphone worked fine.

I found out that it has to do with Itunes and the the fles you might have there. I started to download only a playlist at a time and for music I made a new one with only about 100 songs. Is been working since.

My theory, it is one or several files that are corrupt and prevent the BMW software to upload them.
Try and see what happens.
Good luck.
something like this is happening on my friends iPhone
we both bought the iPhones at the apple store the same day.
my iPhone sync's with the office calendar thru iTunes but his doesn't.
the only difference is i use my home pc to sync the music and he uses his home pc and we both have different taste of music

there could be some difference between the way the sync is done the first time or corrupted music files

·
Loyal Fester
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi C.Dude, Grotto 1,

Thanks for your replies and information. I also kinda suspected that the playlist contents might be the issue, especially since my SA's iPod worked fine.

I'm going to trash the playlists now and reload like you suggested and see how it goes.

Cheers!

·
Loyal Fester
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi,

Ok, trashed playlists, created new playlists, made sure all files were same format and separated iTunes store bought songs from others and still no success.

Going to try another Mac later to see if it might be my copy of iTunes. Will update on results.

Cheers

·
Loyal Fester
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi again,

Ok, here's an update. Did all the steps including a restore, rebuild of playlists and still no joy. Went in to the dealer on the weekend and tried it on 3 other cars and had the same issue. Tried his iPod and all was well.

All cars had the latest iDrive SW and used different 6FL cables to eliminate the cable as the cause.

Solution..... Maybe Ill just use my iPod for music and iPhone for calls :)

Thanks again for all the advice and suggestions!

Cheers

·
Registered
847 Posts
Solution..... Maybe Ill just use my iPod for music and iPhone for calls :)

Cheers
Can attest that this is a very good solution. iPod charges in the background, plays in the background, stays in the armrest via 6FL. Can keep your iPhone in your pocket and never wire it to the BMW, only Bluetooth. I've been running this way since iPhone came out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
iPhone and extended digit dialing

anyone have success with using extended digits when dialing via bluetooth using iPhone. I have to check voivemail which requires a pause, then passcode, etc. But the iDrive does not recognize the digits. i have to pick up the iPhone and use it to dial the number from the iPhone contact list and it works through bluetooth. but I can't use the iDrive addressbook to do the same...??

·
I want a new drug
115 Posts
mine works but i just threw my nano in the console. who wants to be bothered plugging and unplugging the iphone every time you get in and out of the car?

iphone stays in pocket :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
mine works but i just threw my nano in the console. who wants to be bothered plugging and unplugging the iphone every time you get in and out of the car?

iphone stays in pocket :)
Ditto. I keep an iPod plugged in to the car most of the time. I disconnect it every few days and hook it up to my computer just to update my podcasts. I only plug the iPhone into the console when it needs a charge while I'm on the road. Works fine as an audio source on those occasions.

·
Loyal Fester
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I did it, finally got my iPod and hooks up perfectly without an issue!

Thanks to everyone for all your suggestions, feedback and help.

Would have been nice if it were one device but then again I managed to leave the iPhone in the car a couple of times and forgot to take it out so the iPod solution certainly has its benefits :).

Stay safe everyone and Happy May Day (Labor/Labour day, depending on where you are)!!

Cheers

1 - 20 of 24 Posts