BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new '06 has an aux. input jack in the center console to plug in an Ipod (or any other MP3) but this does not allow for track control from the steering wheel, something that I understood the '05 BMW offered with a Ipod package. Any ideas to get some control over my Ipod without fidlling directly with it while driving?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Apple said they were working on the "next generation" of car adapters to work with BMW. You might just hold off and see what they put out.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am having similar problems and have tried to overcome the problems by using the following solution:

Remote Control, I use the Griffin Airclick, its a simple remote that controls the iPod Wirelessly (RF Signal, not infrared, so that the ipod can be housed in the center console)

Sound Output, I have connected the PockerDock by sendstation for audio out with a standard headphone jack so that my audio out is not amplified and thus having amplified sound through the DSP system on the car.

Lastly i am looking for a Cigarette adapter charger, currently I use the Griffin Powerpod, my problem being the adapter is too large with the cable attached to close the centre armrest. it also plugs into the iPod where the pocketdock connects, forcing me to either unplug the pocketdock, or use a 6pin - 6pin firewire cable from the powerpod to the pocketdock but am scared to try this option as i dont want to damage the iPod or add ons.

Better solutions would be welcomed.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have a 1gb SM card in my Nokia 6230 phone [which also has an mP3 player].

When I demo'd the e90 330 my phone worked fine with Bluetooth. I didn't check for functionality at that time but is there any reason that Bluetooth will not route my phones stored mP3's through the stereo as well?

Curious...

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have been thinking about the Airclick as a hold over until there is a updated Ipod interface. How do you like it? where do you put it? The little strap cradle thing velcroed to the steering wheel looks kinda hobbyshop, but I suppose would get the job done till the real deal comes out.

Attachments

·
330i Jet Black
31 Posts
You might want to visit dension.com. They have an ipod adapter that fits into the CD changer slot in the trunk on the new e90. So just change the source to CD changer and start using the IPOD. The ID3 tag will also display the song name.

Hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Aabid said:
You might want to visit dension.com. They have an ipod adapter that fits into the CD changer slot in the trunk on the new e90. So just change the source to CD changer and start using the IPOD. The ID3 tag will also display the song name.

Hope this is helpful.
:thumbup: This is probably the **BEST** ipod adapter on the market!!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
There is a rumor that Apple will be announcing a new Bluetooth iPod very soon that interacts "the way it should" with the e90 and the iDrive. The rumored integration includes steering wheel buttons, artist, title info, etc. Please let this be true!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
606 Posts
bimmer4me said:
There is a rumor that Apple will be announcing a new Bluetooth iPod very soon that interacts "the way it should" with the e90 and the iDrive. The rumored integration includes steering wheel buttons, artist, title info, etc. Please let this be true!! :thumbup:
I've been using my Moto V710 with the car via Bluetooth. Will the addition of a bluetooth iPod cause any conflicts/problems?

·
Registered
168 Posts
willpooted said:
I've been using my Moto V710 with the car via Bluetooth. Will the addition of a bluetooth iPod cause any conflicts/problems?
Probably. :p :(

·
Registered
261 Posts
willpooted said:
Whoa Nelly Product isn't even vaporware yet....

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Audio over BT for iPod exists, and does work, but sound quality isn't great (some say similar to FM transmitters), which makes sense because BT doesn't have bandwidth for full-spectrum audio. And in my experience, BT is also not very good at multitasking (i.e. talking to the phone and iPod at the same time).

·
Registered
168 Posts
Kaz said:
Audio over BT for iPod exists, and does work, but sound quality isn't great (some say similar to FM transmitters), which makes sense because BT doesn't have bandwidth for full-spectrum audio. And in my experience, BT is also not very good at multitasking (i.e. talking to the phone and iPod at the same time).
However, Bluetooth 2.0 has something like 3 times the bandwidth of Bluetooth 1.2. I heard the e90 only has Bluetooth 1.2, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Well Steve Jobs finished his key Note this morning and there was nothing about a bluetooth Ipod. (he did anounce that they are moving to Intel chips which is a pretty big deal but totally OT here).

What would be cool would be audio over the AUX in, and control and text functions via Blue tooth to the steering wheel / I drive controls. That seems easier to do would have better auido quality.

·
Registered
111 Posts
will-san said:
Well Steve Jobs finished his key Note this morning and there was nothing about a bluetooth Ipod. (he did anounce that they are moving to Intel chips which is a pretty big deal but totally OT here).

What would be cool would be audio over the AUX in, and control and text functions via Blue tooth to the steering wheel / I drive controls. That seems easier to do would have better auido quality.
And yet you weren't the only one coming here to post that. :)

I agree, something like that sounds like a decent interim solution... I'd be surprised if they could handle it at this point.

·
Registered
189 Posts
So the dension solution isn't possible with navigation installed (I-drive) correct?

Also how is the sound quality using just the AUX input with a male/male headphone wire?

My BMW is on the way and I want to have the best possible solution for my 20gb IPOD when it gets here so all thoughts and experiences are appreciated.

·
Registered
261 Posts
itznin said:
So the dension solution isn't possible with navigation installed (I-drive) correct?

Also how is the sound quality using just the AUX input with a male/male headphone wire?

My BMW is on the way and I want to have the best possible solution for my 20gb IPOD when it gets here so all thoughts and experiences are appreciated.
Not possible until they develop an interface for the Fiber Optic connections that the E90's nav system uses. rumor seems to be that BMW is working on the same thing for their Ipod your BMW product. None one seems to be willing to comit to a release date, But dension has said towards the end of summer. I am not holding my breath. Think Christmas present.

In the mean time the Aux input from the head phone jack sounds fine. It is just a question of finding the right volume level from the Ipod. But it will be a while before you can wow your friends with track titles on your nav screen.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have noticed that when pairing a phone (treo for me) it first registers on the idrive as an audio device then switches to phone after several seconds. At least there is signs that idrive may recognize bluetooth audio!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts