BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
I'm looking to do this myself so I can listen to my iPhone in the car. I used to just plug it into the tape deck adapter, but w/ the full screen nav, the tape deck is in an awkward position.

One of our possible choices is to install that dice thing, but the last time I installed aftermarket electronics (in my 92 525i), funky electrical gremlins started showing up (blow fuses) so I'm kinda reluctant in installing one.

·
Thebizzy.com
6,429 Posts
I use the DICE unit with ipod ashtray dock. Works great and is a fairly simple DIY.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have installed the 2point5 spec doc in my 540 and it works great. It's from BavarianSoundWerks and if you have a non dsp its about 280.00. It uses the cd changer input and docs right where your ashtray is. Fully functional from the radio and sterring wheel. Also have txt display on radio and where your clusters are. Great add on!! Installation is a little tough but great step by step video on their website.

·
Underdog On Top
176 Posts
DICE is "OK". Some folks have great luck w/ it - some don't. Can be very buggy and/or noisy. Not bad for the price, though.

Unless money is tight, I'd go w/ Intravee and alpine kca-420i. More expensive, but better quality and better functionality, especially w/ Nav.

·
Thebizzy.com
6,429 Posts

·
european auto source
5,879 Posts
Any suggestions for adding an ipod to my 2001 540iA? :dunno:
Thanks
This is the kit you need:

DICE - SILVERLINE iPod Integration Kit for 5 Series/M5 97-03 (Trunk Interface)
http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?products_id=1625

The DICE iPod Kit will integrate perfectly with your BMW and offer steering wheel control as well as ID3 text and charging of your iPod. Full CD Quality can be expected after installation. There's even an integrated AUX port for other devices.

New features of DICE SILVERLINE iPod Integration kit include:

- Direct integrated connection, without the need for FM transmitters or cassette adapters
- Full Text Display on your factory radio or Navigation screen
- Full control of your iPod via the radio buttons while in play
- Browse by Individual Song
- Browse by Individual Playlist
- Browse by Individual Albums
- Source Selector w/ Integrated AUX input
- Album Selection
- Full charging mode for iPods through included dock connector

The kit will come with everything needed w/ the docking cable. The iPod can be safely stored away in the glove compartment for 100% stealth installation and accessed completely from the steering wheel controls. The DICE comes with a 15-foot cable length to reach anywhere in the vehicle you like.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

·
european auto source
5,879 Posts
Tom:
Does this DICE work with an Ipod Mini? I didn't see it on the list of Ipods. Thanx. :dunno:
Yes - iPod mini is fine. :)

·
european auto source
5,879 Posts
Does the aux kit work for an '02 non-DSP system? Is there a DIY for installation anywhere? If yes, what's the part no.? I can't find it on RealOEM.com. Thanx.
AUX is not compatible on pre 2003 systems. The DICE would be your only choice.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Tom, I might be purchasing that kit from you soon. Do you have a link to a DIY install? I'm feeling more confident about this install than my previous car since my new one has fold down seats.

I do have NAV (MKIII) on this one though, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have DSP. How do you determine if you have DSP or not? I have the fullscreen NAV. I know on non-NAV headunits there's a DSP button.

·
european auto source
5,879 Posts
Tom, I might be purchasing that kit from you soon. Do you have a link to a DIY install? I'm feeling more confident about this install than my previous car since my new one has fold down seats.

I do have NAV (MKIII) on this one though, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have DSP. How do you determine if you have DSP or not? I have the fullscreen NAV. I know on non-NAV headunits there's a DSP button.
When you press the MENU button, do you see a DSP selection?

·
european auto source
5,879 Posts
I'll look into that once I get home. In the meantime, do you have a link to a DIY writeup?
These instructions will also apply to the e39, the steps are identical: http://www.europeanautosource.com/support-center/index.php?x=&mod_id=2&id=35

I'm looking into placing the order tonight or tomorrow once I determine if I have DSP or not (if that's even relevant when I have NAV). Will you be able to get it to me by Friday? My zip is 11572
Ground service will be questionable, but we do have expedited shipping if there is a deadline.

·
Underdog On Top
176 Posts
If you have not already, do yourself a big favor and do a search for "intravee" on here and the other forum. Even if you ultimately decide to go w/ DICE, your decision will at least be an informed one, rather than the "lemming approach" I initially took.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.