BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Almost every week, there is someone asking about iPod integration in the BMW 7.
So, here's the big BMW E65/E66 iPod thread!!!!

as far as I know, there are 2 different 7's
2002-2005
2005-2007

Offcourse you could use one of the many FM transmitters, but as everyone knows, it never really works as well as a integration option.
If you are a true technican, this might be the best option to go for. But it is complicated, and you might damage things you don't want to damage.
As most of the guys on bimmerfest know, the E65 doesn't support the audio tags. In a pre-2005 model, you won't see the tracknames but just track 1, track 2, and so on. In the 2005-now models, you also see the track name in the display.

a couple of known iPod integration products:

Mobridge

This might be the miracle solution. A member of Bimmerfest installed it succesfully.

Dension
A mainly European solution for iPod in the 7. Works for every E65/E66 model. But, you'll have to give up the CD changer option.

Nav TV
They offer a wide selection of products fit for the M.O.S.T. interface (which is also in the E65/E66). They also have a video input option.

Dice Electronics
A integration solution like the one from Dension.

offcourse BMW itself also supplies a iPod integration. But they only offer it starting at the 2005 model.
A iPod ashtray dock is also handy.

Remarks are very welcome!

·
Registered
850 Posts
From what I read today the Mobridge option you loose the CD changer as well. I would like to do the NAV /TV mod this will allow me to play DVD's on my NAV screen correct? it also has an input I could connect an ipod to? then i only need one mod and can save 500-800

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
they are still working on the Mobridge to be able to support text on the 2002 with additional upgrade or actually I think its gonna be firm ware to the Mobridge which has SD card for software update

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
they are still working on the Mobridge to be able to support text on the 2002 with additional upgrade or actually I think its gonna be firm ware to the Mobridge which has SD card for software update
Yep, I've started the iPod thread, but I don't have a iPod adapter in my car :drive:

I think I'll wait till Mobridge got it all sorted out.

I guess you'll lose the CD Changer with the mobridge mod.

NAV TV will allow you to play DVDs on your iDrive monitor.

The thing for me is, I got the optional TV. But in the netherlands we don't have analog TV signals anymore. So the TV is useless. Why can't I take the video and audio input from the tv, to work with a simple video-in and audio L+R in?
Did anyone ever do such a mod?

·
european auto source
5,879 Posts
The text limitation is from the BMW, not the mObridge unit. We are looking into a hardware-based solution, but it will not be from mObridge.

·
Registered
173 Posts
So what is the best FM transmitter and what problems would it cause? I don't see the point in getting the mobridge if I won't know what track i'm playing. Not bashing, just my own personal decision.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I'm with you on that.. FM modulator looks like the way for me.. my gf's 3 series has some little thing that plugs into the headphone jack and you can use your iPod to navigate.. i like this little option.. seems like it'd be of minimal cost to the consumer and maybe less invasive??

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm with you on that.. FM modulator looks like the way for me.. my gf's 3 series has some little thing that plugs into the headphone jack and you can use your iPod to navigate.. i like this little option.. seems like it'd be of minimal cost to the consumer and maybe less invasive??
Will it work on the 7? If so, let me know the brand name, etc. Thanks!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Well it's going to sound like 192kbps to me while I'm saving 500 beans. Let me know once the additional hardware is tested and i'll revisit the mobridge idea.

1 - 20 of 200 Posts