BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help here guys. It looks to me from all the pictures I've seen that the AUX input connector under the armrest of the E90 is nothing more than a stereo in jack. That's terrific, but I was really hoping for something a little more integrated like the IPod kit that's available as a dealer installed option on the current 3-series. I want to be able to control my music from the steering wheel and charge the player all with it tucked out of sight.

Anyone have any idea or hear any rumors if that same kit will work on the E90 and if so will the same caveat of not working with Nav or CD changer apply? I don't own an IPod (I'm a Rio Karma geek myself), but slick integration with my car would be reason enough for me to buy one.

·
Registered
311 Posts
equipto76 said:
I need some help here guys. It looks to me from all the pictures I've seen that the AUX input connector under the armrest of the E90 is nothing more than a stereo in jack. That's terrific, but I was really hoping for something a little more integrated like the IPod kit that's available as a dealer installed option on the current 3-series. I want to be able to control my music from the steering wheel and charge the player all with it tucked out of sight.

Anyone have any idea or hear any rumors if that same kit will work on the E90 and if so will the same caveat of not working with Nav or CD changer apply? I don't own an IPod (I'm a Rio Karma geek myself), but slick integration with my car would be reason enough for me to buy one.
How much integration should be specific to iPod. In 3-4 years iPod will be old news and a newer technology will be preferred. Think about where we were 3-4 years ago in portable music. Some add-on, removable kit I could understand I guess, but anything more integrated will be looked at as silly when you sell your car in 5 years.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
equipto76 said:
There is a rumor of a bluetooth IPOD kit. :dunno:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20050222-4640.html?43281

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
ObD said:
There is a rumor of a bluetooth IPOD kit. :dunno:
I've heard that too, and it makes more sense. Bluetooth functionality wouldn't limit the consumer to a single type of MP3 player.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BrettInLJ said:
How much integration should be specific to iPod. In 3-4 years iPod will be old news and a newer technology will be preferred. Think about where we were 3-4 years ago in portable music. Some add-on, removable kit I could understand I guess, but anything more integrated will be looked at as silly when you sell your car in 5 years.
I completely agree that an add-on IPod specific kit for a generic vehicle interface would be the way to go. My big problem though is that the current add-on kit doesn't work if you have a navigation system or CD changer in your car.

Personally I'd rather not have an IPod specific car. I'd really rather not even buy an IPod but that's just me personally. I'd much rather have a universal bluetooth adapter that works with my car and allows track info display and control from the car stereo. Now that would be cool.

·
Registered
86 Posts
equipto76 said:
I completely agree that an add-on IPod specific kit for a generic vehicle interface would be the way to go. My big problem though is that the current add-on kit doesn't work if you have a navigation system or CD changer in your car.

Personally I'd rather not have an IPod specific car. I'd really rather not even buy an IPod but that's just me personally. I'd much rather have a universal bluetooth adapter that works with my car and allows track info display and control from the car stereo. Now that would be cool.
you would think though that now adays there would be someone making something that can hook up to your bmw and use your ipod via the Idrive controller? :dunno:

·
Le fabuleux destin
568 Posts
Steve Jobs mentioned in January an iPod you BMW version two that he and BMW were working on for 2005.

·
stop staring at me swan
3,206 Posts
So as of now there is no ipod integration? Ive seen the Aux input, but I would like to control that through the steering wheel controls instead of through the player itself.

Yes, there might be some new technology coming out by then, but all I am going to want is to play mp3's. With the 20G ipod, Ill carry all my songs and wont need to have the latest and greatest.... :eeps:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ipod Connector free in South Africa

I have recently ordered a 325i and because i took no CD Shuttle i get the Ipod dock at no extra charge. I have been told i will be able to control the unit from the steering wheel

·
stop staring at me swan
3,206 Posts
swanich said:
I have recently ordered a 325i and because i took no CD Shuttle i get the Ipod dock at no extra charge. I have been told i will be able to control the unit from the steering wheel
With the ipod connections, you will be able to control it through your steering wheel controls.

What is this CD shuttle your talking about? A cd changer in the trunk?

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
BrettInLJ said:
Like that sort of thought process influenced BMW in any of their "car phone" options in the past? Auto makers need to put whatever into today's cars to sell the cars of today. Resale? That's your problem.

·
Registered
321 Posts
philippek said:
I've heard that too, and it makes more sense. Bluetooth functionality wouldn't limit the consumer to a single type of MP3 player.
I doubt if bluetooth has the bandwidth to support high fidelity audio. Well maybe, I am not sure. Bluetooth has a data throughput of 721 kbps whereas most mp3 is 128 or 192 kbps. So maybe it'll work. Anyone has a clue abt this?

·
Registered
321 Posts
swanich said:
If i don't have idrive can I see the playlists anywhere? Maybe in the display in the instrument cluster?

·
Registered
336 Posts
fidozoom said:
I doubt if bluetooth has the bandwidth to support high fidelity audio. Well maybe, I am not sure. Bluetooth has a data throughput of 721 kbps whereas most mp3 is 128 or 192 kbps. So maybe it'll work. Anyone has a clue abt this?
Your right. If future Ipods do support Bluetooth it will be a next generation form of the current standard. The current bandwidth is good for today's current use.

There have been extensive posts on this suubject in most Apple-related sites.
It come down to this: music bandwidth and frequency is too vast for today's current bluetooth. Compression would mean even more horrendous music quality.

·
Registered
23 Posts
equipto76 said:

From a BMW media release
" 23/03/2005 Ipod in Perfect Tune with BMW and MINI
- Apple iPod connection available to BMW and MINI customers
- Seamless integration into existing sound systems

BMW Group Australia is singing the praises of two new seamless connectors that link their in-car audio systems to Apple iPod devices.

Current BMW 3 Series, Z4 Roadster, X3 and X5 Sports Activity Vehicles and MINI customers will all be able to enjoy a new fully-integrated iPod interface that allows control of their personal music collections, including track selection, while at the wheel.

BMW also offers a second option of an auxiliary audio input interface that allows control of volume while on the move, with the play list selection made via the iPod itself. This solution suits all models detailed above, and current and previous generation 5 Series cars and 6 Series Coupés and Convertibles.

Both alternatives are hardwired into the car's audio system using a specially developed cable which is compatible with the dock connector on 3rd and 4th generation iPods. The cable exits into the glove box, allowing the iPod to be stored securely and out of sight."

·
Le fabuleux destin
568 Posts
No. The Australian press release is announcing the product that has been available in the US for a while now.

Apple is actively trying to get track names on your Nav screen though. I would expect to see it in the next 6 months. They managed to do it with Mercedes, so are now trying to do it with BMW. It's obviously a priority...and I think Steve Jobs drives a 7 series so he wants it in his car too. ;)

Mercedes iPod integration

·
Le fabuleux destin
568 Posts
More news from Mercedes. The iPod kit from them will be available in Europe starting July 2005. To quote them:

All the music functions on the MP3 player can be accessed via the multifunction steering wheel. The driver can navigate using the buttons on the steering wheel through the playlists, scroll up through the menu, set the volume, fast-forward or rewind, skip or repeat a track. The multifunction display on the dashboard indicates for example the song title and artist as well as the play mode of the MP3 player.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts