BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried searching the forum already but haven't found a clear answer. I have a 2009 Z4 35i with navigation. There is a USB port inside my globebox, and USB and 1/8" stereo ports in my center arm rest. But I am unable to get an iPhone 3GS or 4th generation iPod Nano to show up on the External Devices menu. The iPod Nano shows the "Connected" animation when attached via USB to either port using a standard iPod USB cable.

I called the dealer and they said I needed a $200 or $300 cable to connect the iPod to the USB port. Ignoring the incredible markup that cable appears to have, I'm not even 100% sure that is what would work. BMW phone support wasn't able to help me, unfortunately.

Would anyone know what the correct solution is to my problem in this particular situation? I would like to be able to control my iPod via the steering wheel controls and iDrive joystick while it is connected via USB.

Thanks.

·
Freude am Fahren
682 Posts
You need the 6FL cable

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. Does it need to be that exact cable?

I have a similar cable, with the iPod connector on one end and the 1/8" stereo and USB connector on the other. When I connect my iPod Nano that way, the External Devices screen shows "Reading..." and then "Not Supported" next to the USB item.

I wonder if my iPod Nano is not supported for some reason; it should have the latest Apple firmware installed on it.

·
Freude am Fahren
682 Posts
Josuah- this cable should have been supplied to you. Did you buy this car new, or pre-owned from a dealer, or is it a private sale car you just picked up? If it's a sale from a dealer, I would push to get them to give you the cable.

You should check another ipod on your car to rule out it's not issues with your ipod.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought it used from a dealer, but not a BMW dealer. I only got 1 key and no manual or other accessories. I asked about a second key at the time of sale, but they said there was no second key. I will call and ask about the manual and cable, but judging from past conversations I doubt they will supply either. (Maybe the previous owner kept them.)

I'll see if I can try another iPod and update the thread. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1 - 6 of 6 Posts